The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MONTGOMERY - With no walls to stop them, outdoor adventures are unlimited for recreationists such as Mike Felix of Montgomery, who is sharing his love of hunting and fishing with disabled and terminally ill children.

Felix, the president of newly founded Hunting Dreams for Kids, said his group's inaugural event featured fellow Montgomery resident Collin Hahn, who successfully bagged a 300-pound boar at North Mountain Outfitters in Hughesville.

The hunting party that attended the June 12 outing at the local hunting preserve was elated by 11-year-old Hahn's success in making the 75-yard shot with a .223 rifle, according to Felix.

"We were all excited," Felix said. "Not just him, but everyone who was there. It was a huge triumph."

Patti Gregory said the outing was a positive experience for Hahn, her adopted son, who is afflicted with autism and wears a prosthetic for a left foot amputated when he was 1 year old.

Hahn thoroughly enjoyed boar hunting, according to Gregory.

"He loved it," she said. "That was his first time hunting and he was thrilled."

Gregory said Hahn is involved in activities including Boy Scouts and baseball and, although he has fired guns before, he never had the opportunity to hunt until Felix proposed the idea.

She said both of their families were watching a local soccer game in May when Felix made the recommendation.

Gregory believes Felix's program is an excellent idea for children such as Hahn who face special challenges.

"There's so many things they don't do as well as the other kids," Gregory said. "Shooting is something (Hahn's) good at and something he and his stepfather can do together."

Gregory said she and her late husband, Jerry Hahn, adopted their son when he was 9 months old. Russian-born Collin had a deformed foot at birth.

Felix said his own late father, John Felix, was instrumental to the conceptualization of the youth hunting and fishing program. The pair were in the program planning stages when the elder Felix died of multiple myeloma cancer on April 11.

"He was never able to fulfill what he wanted to do," Felix said, adding that the program started with the help of various donations.

HuntingPA.com, SpiritOfTheHunt.com, Card Creek Hunting and Recreation Association, the Aidan Wellness Foundation and North Mountain Outfitters were all helpful, he said.

Depending on resources available, Felix hopes to offer more hunting trips to youth and begin offering fishing expeditions.

Sometime in August, Felix said, a disabled youth day is being planned at the local Gander Mountain sporting goods store.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Who owns Spirit of the Hunt .com, I bought about 10 Web domains yesterday and that one was on my list but I saw it was taken...figured it had to be someone with a HPA connection.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Theres gotta be an HPA connection somewhere there. Take a look at their forums, they are almost Identical to HPA's.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I am not against it in anyway, I like what they are about and may even get involved there...but as creator of the Spirit of the Hunt forum here I just was surprised to see it taken.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Looks like its gonehuntins website (mike). Looks like he has good intentions and is just following a dream he and his father had!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The website was owned by my father and my brother. The actual name was purchased several yrs ago by me prior to me becoming a member here. My father wanted something similar to the spirit of the wild, which was one of his favorite outdoor shows with the Nuge.
Initially when my father passed website was going to be used to promote Hunting Dreams 4 kids, which we now are in the process of having a site made for the organization. One of our reps is willing to help us out, as soon as I can find the time to set down and come up with some design ideas.

Bonzy you are correct a lot of ideas for the forum came from this site which my brother used to get site up and running.

Other then owning the name I don't have any dealings with the site, and as it looks my brother has been doing nothing with it. This is why I included HPA first, and when I have the time I visit here. I have me a lot of great people here, and it was an honor to promote the site.

I'm thinking about buying him out and changing the name to pawoodsandwater.com and making a blog site.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Couldn't have picked a better model

Very nice site, great thing you guys are doing with the Hunting Dreams 4 kids, good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts