The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear hunters might be interested in seeing my article about a buddy's brown bear from Kodiak Island. I wrote it for <span style="font-style: italic">Sports Afield</span> two years ago, but did a re-write for this new magazine called Bear Hunters Online. It's one of the new digital magazines -- strictly online.

It has a nominal cost of only 99¢ per issue, but this one is a free sample issue. Bear hunters everywhere ought to get on board. This is the third issue, so it looks like it will make it.

I don't get anything for posting this, but for those who aspire to a brown bear hunt some day, I just thought you might want to know about a PA guy who had big success on one giant bear. (The article starts on page 63.) Hope you enjoy it.

Steve.

<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-style: italic">Attention all kids, and grown-up kids! The only real obstacle to fulfilling your dreams is the limits of your imagination. For proof, let me tell you a story about my buddy’s …
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">31-Day Brown Bear Odyssey </span></span>
by Steve Sorensen

In the age when Tommy and I grew up a young hunter’s unrestrained imagination often included the allure of hunting the legendary Kodiak brown bear and the drama of taking the highest animal on the food chain. That’s why, while Tommy and I were wrangling scraps of lumber up into a big red oak, he declared, “Someday I’m going to Alaska. I’m going to get one of those big Kodiak bears.”

Any passers-by would have thought we were building a treehouse. What we were really doing was dreaming about future adventures, and pledging to keep the promises we made to ourselves.

For most kids, “someday” never comes. Dreams die amidst the mundane, and grown-ups trim their imaginations to what they call realism. They become risk-averse. Easier paths unfold and the daily grind sidetracks their more adventurous ambitions.</span> </span>

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
GOD willing the next time I step on Kodiak it will be with a brown bear tag! Started saving for this dream hunt awhile back. Plan on doing this for my 50th Birthday which is approaching quit fast. I hunted Kodiak before and seen 3 bears 2 well over 1000 pounds but only had sitka blacktail tags. One of them was only 40 yards away sleeping on a sitka it had killed. I have to admit that was very intimidating. Thanks for sharing and fueling my ultimate dream!

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Thanks for the article. After getting my griz, I am working on a brown bear hunt on Chichagof Island right now. Was going in '15 but it may get bumped up to '14. Staying in a tent right along the shore and hunting out of a Zodiac. Can't wait.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Still waiting. If I don't get a call by the end of the month. I'm gonna go visit my guy and see. He's usually pretty good for about a one year turnaround, but I know he's had some issues with mold in his house and his wife being sick.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
kudu58 said:
Still waiting. If I don't get a call by the end of the month. I'm gonna go visit my guy and see. He's usually pretty good for about a one year turnaround, but I know he's had some issues with mold in his house and his wife being sick.
Please post when you get him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts