The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opportunities to hunt deer are not over. There‘s the late season in wildlife management unit 2B and the flintlock and late archery seasons.

But the majority of the harvest has already been recorded.

You wouldn‘t know, though, to judge by what hunters say. Today, as has been the case for decades, hunters are required by law to report killing a deer to the Pennsylvania Game Commission.

Fewer than four in 10 do, however.

“Thirty-seven percent of antlered deer and 33 percent of antlerless deer were reported in 2011,” said Chris Rosenberry, the commission‘s lead deer biologist. “Generally, there has been a steady downward trend (in reporting) since 1982. Reporting rates have dropped 20 percent in the last 30 years.”

That makes Pennsylvania the worst of a bad lot. ........

The New York Department of Environmental Conservation requires hunters to report killing a deer within seven days of taking it, said spokeswoman Lori Severino. Yet, “in general, the reporting rate is between 40 and 45 percent,” she said.

In West Virginia, it‘s about 60 to 65 percent and dropping, Johansen said.

In Maryland, it‘s about 85 percent, said Brian Eyler, deer project leader for that state‘s Department of Natural Resources.

Requiring hunters to physically take a deer to a check station to report a deer — rather than report the kill by phone, mail or internet, the options here in Pennsylvania — doesn‘t seem to make any difference.

The Ohio Division of Wildlife used to require hunters to physically check in a deer. Starting in 2011, it went to online and phone reporting.

Reporting rates have stayed about the same, said spokeswoman Susie Vance. ,,,,,,,

“We‘ve found that you can‘t regulate for the percentage that isn‘t playing by the rules because they never were going to anyway,” added Eyler. “You‘re never going to get 100 percent compliance.”

Check stations are much more costly, though, which is why West Virginia is in the process of moving away from them, at least in part. Johansen said the division of natural resources wants to offer hunters the option of reporting deer via the phone and internet.

“I don‘t know that we‘ll ever get away from check stations completely here, because they‘re kind of a tradition in West Virginia and some people who get a deer like to come in and show it off a little bit, I guess you‘d say,” Johansen said. “But it is our hope, in a few years, that we‘ll have electronic checks for the convenience of our hunters.”

No system is perfect, though, so states are left to figure out harvests as best they can. ......

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/3119002-74/deer-hunters-report#axzz2FEvHSkKP

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
my doe and buck got reported online. love that we can do it there.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Wonder what their rate would be if they started accepting "didnt kill one"

·
Registered
363 Posts
And hunters don't lie about their harvests? Seems there could be improvement on both sides.

·
Registered
465 Posts
“Thirty-seven percent of antlered deer and 33 percent of antlerless deer were reported in 2011,” said Chris Rosenberry, the commission‘s lead deer biologist. “Generally, there has been a steady downward trend (in reporting) since 1982. Reporting rates have dropped 20 percent in the last 30 years.”
I would like to know how they can come up with this figure?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
They check deer at butcher shops and then wait to see who reports...33% is pretty sad if you ask me.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
scottm2012 said:
How accurate can that figure be if it is nothing more than an estimate based on some other estimate? In reality it is just a guess and I have no doubt it is slanted to the plus side for various reasons.

I hunt with 6 to 10 guys each season. We all report if we get a deer. No one has ever suggested otherwise. I believe there are others who do not report because of some "belief" on their part but how would anyone know who they were or more importantly put an accurate number on them.

·
6,466 Posts
Dogface said:
scottm2012 said:
How accurate can that figure be if it is nothing more than an estimate based on some other estimate? In reality it is just a guess and I have not doubt it is slanted to the plus side for various reasons.

I hunt with 6 to 10 guys each season. We all report if we get a deer. No one has ever suggested otherwise. I believe there are others who do not report because of some "belief" on their part but how would anyone know who they were or more importantly put an accurate number on them.
same here we all report that is why I started the survey in this forum its around 90 percent reporting right now

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Seeing my state of Maryland has a high percentage might tell you something. I for one put things off when given lee way. Pa. gives us what 10 days to mail card? That might be too long of period. When im hunting in Md. i know i have 24 hours to check in via phone or internet its still fresh on your mind. Our tagging system is little different first looks is like its ancient you actually get a boat load of tags from your manual and everything has to be filled out by the hunter there is no numbers or names already printedon them. They are very basic to look at in fact compared to Pa. very ancient looking. But you have to fill out a part on your main licence of date , deer or turkey, etc. The real kicker is when you check in your deer or turkey at the end you are given a confirmation # it has to be printed on your main licence that you previous filled out. So lets say you killed a deer in our bow season sept. 15 filled out your tag and info on lic. but failed to check in. You get checked for lic. in rifle season and dnr officer see's no confirmation # for that bow kill you now pay a $400.00 fine. Im not saying Md. does it right but there system seems to work. That inital 24 hour period while its still fresh in mind i think is the real answer.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Its so easy to do now, takes minutes. There's always going to be those kind of people. Nobody's going to tell them what to do. They won't report deer kills, ignore seat belt laws, ignore headlight laws, and on and on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts