The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly two years of discussions, Pennsylvania Game Commissioners this past week redrew the boundaries of just one wildlife management unit. Unit 2G in the northcentral part of the state was split.

The commissioners decided against redrawing the boundaries of unit 2B, which surrounds Pittsburgh. But they made another change that will impact deer hunters there.

When it comes to 2G, 2,900 square miles on its eastern side will remain under the same name. Its westernmost 1,900 square miles, east of routes 120 and 555, will become a new unit, 2H.

The change was made to more accurately reflect differing kinds of habitat, said commissioner Dave Putnam of Centre County. Unit 2H is being timbered by private landowners, the Game Commission and the bureau of forestry at a much faster rate, he said, and is more productive for wildlife. Unit 2G, which is heavy on publicly owned land, has far worse habitat, and there's far less timbering of the kind that would improve it going on, he said. It supports far fewer deer, Putnam said.

The new boundaries may allow the commission to increase the herd a bit in 2G and stabilize it in 2H, Putnam said. That doesn't mean deer numbers in 2G will return to what some hunters remember, he cautioned. The habitat just isn't there, he said.

“But this is a compromise, we think,” said commissioner Ron Weaner of Adams County.

As for unit 2B, commissioners had been thinking of making it smaller to force a change in hunter behavior.

The unit has long had a month-long, post-Christmas deer season to allow hunters to control deer in urban areas. It's become obvious hunters were targeting the fringes of the unit to the exclusion of Allegheny County, though. To fix that, commissioners are eliminating the late season in unit 2B, as well as in units 5C and 5D in southeastern Pennsylvania. It will be replaced with a late season that will be held only in “special regulations” counties: Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia.

That means the portion of Allegheny County that lies within management unit 2A will be part of the late season, and the portions of Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties in 2B will not.

“The intent is to put greater pressure on the special regulations areas and alleviate some of the pressure outside them,” said executive director Carl Roe.

The change must get final approval in April, but that's likely a formality. So pay attention to where you are in the woods this fall. The rules have changed.

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/3379352-74/unit-deer-commission#axzz2JoQyIn89

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Article lancasteronline.Com

..........In the name of dividing distinctly separate forest types in WMU 2G, commissioner Dave Putnam won support for cutting about a third of the land mass off the large northcentral unit to create the new WMU 2H.

Besides the differing forest types, general land ownership also differs between the two units, with WMU 2G being nearly all public land and WMU 2H having large chunks of property owned by timber companies.

WMU 2H encompasses about 1,200 square miles of the western end of the old WMU 2G.
<span style="font-weight: bold">

The dividing line between the two units basically runs from northeast to southwest, from Coudersport to Dubois, along the following path: Route 872 to Route 607 to Route 155 to Route 120 to Route 555 to Route 255 to Interstate 80.</span>

According to Putnam, the new WMU 2G, which covers about 2,900 square miles, has a less productive forest for deer than the new WMU 2H.

Deer numbers, as a result, tend to be higher in the 2H area versus the 2G area.

Nearly 80 percent of the land in the new WMU 2G is state forest, which is managed by the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

Putnam said DCNR will now take a greater role in managing the deer herd in that unit.

"Our philosophy is that DCNR will have the ability to manage a good chunk of that land with the (Deer Management Assistance Program)," he said.

How doe-tag allocations by the Game Commission will look for the two units next season has not yet been determined.

They will be established in time for the commission's April meeting, said executive director Carl Roe.

The firearms deer season in both units will include a bucks-only hunt from Dec. 2-6, followed by a concurrent buck-doe hunt from Dec. 7-14.

In an effort to focus more hunting pressure within the state's most urban-suburban counties, the Game Commission has proposed changing from WMUs to counties the area where late firearms doe hunting is allowed after Christmas.......

Assuming the proposal wins final approval in April, next year the season would run from Dec. 26-Jan. 25 only within Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties.

That means late rifle hunting for does would not be allowed in the WMU 5C areas of Lancaster, Berks, Lehigh and Northampton counties........

The commissioners said they were concerned too much pressure was being put on the outer edges of WMUs 5C and 2B, where the land is more rural, and not enough was being applied to the interior, where development is more common.

The interior is where the agency really wants deer numbers thinned........

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/810092_Hunting-changes-on-the-way.html#ixzz2JoWA5uHU

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
clearfield12 said:
Seems like a good split to me.
My wish would have been a split north south instead of east west. Even with the split running as is, they should have used Rt 44 instead of 872, and ran straight south to 80. Would have included a big chunk of Susquehannock, all of Sproul, Quehanna Wild Area, and the majority of Moshannon. I just dont see the reason behind heading down 872/155.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Maybe because the majority of the land west of 872/155 line to 80 is privately owned, whereas the majority to the east is state forest, just like the article says?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think that this change is in line with many in the area clamoring for a difference in private / public deer management. Clearly, this divide addresses that issue.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
We'll see how this plays out. From what ive seen, theres just as much loggin on state land as is the private, and I wanna see where DCNR goes and how far with their DMAP.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We will have to rethink our deer drives for next year. We hunt on both sides of 872 so we will have see what the GC does with the seasons next year.

That makes the intersecton of RT 6 & 872 in Coudersport the great divide of 3A, 2G, & 2H.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Bluetick said:
That means the portion of Allegheny County that lies within management unit 2A will be part of the late season, and the portions of Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties in 2B will not.
There is an error from the above article that some may have caught and it could be confusing.

It should read:

That means the portion of Allegheny County that lies within management unit 2B will be part of the late season, and the portions of Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties in 2B will not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
More hunters being forced into Allegh. 2B = MORE POSTED SIGNS. I m sure of that ...might have a reverse effect on deer numbers.

2g and 2h? I guess I ll be in 2H south of Rte 6 near Roulette- Many of the leases control doe numbers how they see fit any how...there still ain t no deer left in Potter

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
If there "ain't no deer" on those leases, which I know isn't true, than its nobody elses fault except the leasees for shooting them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Bigwoods Hunter said:
More hunters being forced into Allegh. 2B = MORE POSTED SIGNS. I m sure of that ...might have a reverse effect on deer numbers.

2g and 2h? I guess I ll be in 2H south of Rte 6 near Roulette- Many of the leases control doe numbers how they see fit any how...there still ain t no deer left in Potter
It 2B, it will mean less "trespassers" coming out of Allegheny county into the rural parts of 2B just so they can use their rifles.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Bob_Hildenbrand said:
Bigwoods Hunter said:

It 2B, it will mean less "trespassers" coming out of Allegheny county into the rural parts of 2B just so they can use their rifles.
. That's a pretty broad statement I'm guessing no tresspassers come from the rural parts ino the suburbs to use their shotguns.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
RTH said:
Bob_Hildenbrand said:
Bigwoods Hunter said:

. That's a pretty broad statement I'm guessing no tresspassers come from the rural parts ino the suburbs to use their shotguns.
Why would they, they could stay in the rural areas and hunt with a rifle.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
chrisb said:
Bluetick said:
There is an error from the above article that some may have caught and it could be confusing.

It should read:

That means the portion of Allegheny County that lies within management unit 2B will be part of the late season, and the portions of Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties in 2B
will not.

Chris, the article is correct. There is a small portion of allegheny Co that is in 2a. That portion will now be in the extended late season sine it is part of a sra county.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
about dang time for 2B!!

about the lease thing, i agree...if their arent deer in the leased areas, noone to blame but whover makes the rules and the hunters!

i hunt a lease in 2F...something like 2k acres...NO DOE HUNTING...crops and year round food plots and most of the area was timbered so tons of browse..SGL on one side of it...

biggest thing besides the numbers of deer being higher than elsewhere is the number of bucks...buttons dont get whacked so they turn into bucks...its awesome...and enough doe get taken outside the area that it isnt completely over run and over browsed..the food plots help a ton as well...

my favorite place to hunt...seeing over 50 deer opening day is just a blast....and it sounded like a war zone till lunch time...i have NO idea how there was that much shooting...it was incredible..even with an open doe season and doe hunting i would said it was high...buck only in 2F and on the lease, i have no idea what guys were shooting at lol...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There is no Deer in 2B anyway. Sill have too much private ground without access, and the areas that are public are too small. Makes sense though... No reason some ofhe Washington and Beaver areas were in SRA

·
Registered
946 Posts
justgrad25[/quote said:
Chris, the article is correct. There is a small portion of allegheny Co that is in 2a. That portion will now be in the extended late season sine it is part of a sra county.
O.K. I stand corrected.
Forgot about Allegheny being in 2A in the Western part of the County.
Bob Frye is correct in the article then.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bob_Hildenbrand said:
RTH said:
Bob_Hildenbrand said:
Bigwoods Hunter said:

Why would they, they could stay in the rural areas and hunt with a rifle.
The changes proposed in 2B only apply to the extended antlerless firearm season, which currently runs from the day after Christmas for about 5 weeks in all of 2B. So the guys can't stay in their rural areas and hunt with a rifle during this time, because statewide it is muzzy/archery only season. Also keep in mind that there is no statewide deer hunting allowed during the last 2 weeks of the current extended antlerless firearm hunt in 2B.

There is no doubt that 2B currently sees a lot of extra traffic because of the season structure during the extended season. Bigwoods Hunter is dead on that the current proposal will force the hunters who previously hunted this season in the Butler, Beaver, Westmoreland, and Washington Counties parts of 2B into the very few remaining huntable areas in Allegheny Co.

The extra traffic for the extended season in Allegheny Co is already an issue with many landowners I know and I am expecting that it will be worse if this proposal passes.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I understand and agree on all points. Let me rephrase my reasoning, as a bowhunter, in my part of 2b, the late season has been all but trashed. On the ground that I have permission to hunt, you may see 4 or 5 guys hunting with inlines and centerfires, and you know that none of them have permission to be there. Its time for them to go back to where they came from.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts