The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the many predator hunters we have, and the will to keep the 2nd Amendment alive it is time we legalize them for certain hunting. Even semi rimfire for small game. We are always behind other states.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,717 Posts
Been trying for years. At least for predators small game. As recently as this summer I talked with a few commissioners about it.

Unfortunately, there was no will to pursue it. I was told that the PGC didn't want pictures of hunters circulating holding semi automatic rifles. Pretty lame, IMO, especially with what is going on in this country to take not only semi automatic rifles but semi automatic pistols away from us.

It is more important than ever that these actions types are recogized for what they are which are legitimate sporting, defensive and target firearms. Across much of this country semi auto actions are widely accepted among the sporting community.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Never shot one until Yesterday. My G`Son got a real good deal on an AR...something? and brought it up for Me to try. Have to admit,I can see where they could become addictive......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
dpms said:
Been trying for years. At least for predators small game. As recently as this summer I talked with a few commissioners about it.

Unfortunately, there was no will to pursue it. I was told that the PGC didn't want pictures of hunters circulating holding semi automatic rifles. Pretty lame, IMO, especially with what is going on in this country to take not only semi automatic rifles but semi automatic pistols away from us.

It is more important than ever that these actions types are recogized for what they are which are legitimate sporting, defensive and target firearms. Across much of this country semi auto actions are widely accepted among the sporting community.
Who told you that???? It would take a legislative change for semi's. Contact your Rep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,717 Posts
R.W.J said:
dpms said:
Been trying for years. At least for predators small game. As recently as this summer I talked with a few commissioners about it.

Unfortunately, there was no will to pursue it. I was told that the PGC didn't want pictures of hunters circulating holding semi automatic rifles. Pretty lame, IMO, especially with what is going on in this country to take not only semi automatic rifles but semi automatic pistols away from us.

It is more important than ever that these actions types are recogized for what they are which are legitimate sporting, defensive and target firearms. Across much of this country semi auto actions are widely accepted among the sporting community.
Who told you that???? It would take a legislative change for semi's. Contact your Rep.
I understand that laws require legislative action, Rich. The PGC can request legislation though if it is needed to move forward with a plan or idea. Just as they did with the MYP and Sunday hunting.

So, while contacting our reps is one step, so is attempting to gather support among the BOC so that the legislative director can pursue change. And, for the record, I have contacted my reps and the game and fish committees previously.

As for your other question, I was specifically told by a commissioner about the pictures. I won't specify who as I like to keep the discussions I have with specific commissioners between them and I.

Not everyone is as clueless as you seem to think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,717 Posts
And one more thing. I found alot of opposition from hunters themselves. Not sure I understand it as many that are vehemently against semis for sporting purposes are all gung ho fighting against Obama's anti gun agenda and the ESOS position.

Of course, maybe now that some are coming to realize the fight that lies ahead, positons have changed and we sill see a real push to move this issue forward.

As I pointed out in previous discussions here. Many state safety concerns yet we currently allow semi automatic shotguns loaded to the max with saboted slugs during deer seasons in our most heavily hunted and populated areas of the state with no higher incidence of issues than anywhere else. Yet, we can't hunt squirrels with this;


That is the ultimate litmus test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,717 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
I don't understand why you can't use that for squirrel. I can't figure it out.
Or this for Fox.


Or this for deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
I don't have any reason to buy a semi auto like that, but if I could hunt squirrels or fox with them, I might have to try it out!

I don't know that I could support a semi auto right away for deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,717 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
I don't know that I could support a semi auto right away for deer.
As I said earlier they are already legal for deer in our most heavily hunted and populated areas of the state. Maximum capacity in the mags as well. No issues that are not in line with the rest of the state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,138 Posts
shotgun slugs don't carry 7 miles. Your comparison is motor scooters and Corvettes.

Jerks spray the woods now with pumps and lever guns. When exurban sprawl is causing rifles to be prohibited in areas of the state, you want to open it up to semi rifles, that makes no sense at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,138 Posts
plugged magazines, flourescent orange, no rifles in the spec regs area. All for the same reasons. Stupid Jerks. Same reasoning applies equally to semis. If everybody was perfectly safe and responsible there would be no FO requirements, not plugged shotguns requirements etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,296 Posts
I see your point. The states where semi's are legal don't have any issue with them, are we worse hunters in pa? I would like to think not. Not much difference in a bolt,lever,pump action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
plugged magazines, flourescent orange, no rifles in the spec regs area. All for the same reasons. Stupid Jerks. Same reasoning applies equally to semis. If everybody was perfectly safe and responsible there would be no FO requirements, not plugged shotguns requirements etc.
You have a pretty good point for the most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,717 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
shotgun slugs don't carry 7 miles. Your comparison is motor scooters and Corvettes.
On the contrary. The tiny woodlots that are jammed with hunters are surrounding by houses and housing plans well within the ranges of modern saboted slugs. It is a perfect comparison. Shorter weapon range but closer potential conflicts compared to rural areas.

The fact is that semis are legal for big game in the areas that contain the highest hunter densities and highest human populations with no more incidents that anywhere else in the state. It is also quite apparent that even with semi auto being legal, most hunters choose other actions types. A fact that is apparent is other states that allow semi auto for big game.

What many overlook that even if semis were legal, they would not be the preferred firearm.

The facts and available data all point to this issue being one purely based on social dynamics. And, we are seeing where the social dynamics are headed with guns in general. It is way past time for this state to get their head out of the sand or we will only be buried deeper.

With the recent happenings, more important than ever. Yet, some will oppose semi auto for hunting in this state, yet thump the war drum against anti gun legislation and ESOS.

There is existing data that shows that shotgun only areas are no more safe than centerfire rifle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,790 Posts
I have said that for years why not. Being from the panhandle of Md. living 1.5 mile from Pa. and 4 miles from W.Va. Md. and W.Va they are legal small and big game with no problems. My point was i knew 2 guys who would not buy Pa. nr lic. becaus all they had was rem. 742 auto 30-06. Many guys years ago including my dad had only 1 deer rifle. I personly am a rem. 700 guy and will never own a semi deer rifle so it doesent really bother me but looking at the broad picture it could boost lic. sales. The browning bar is a very fine rifle also.
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top