The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this video from The Hunting Beast. If you don't want to watch the entire video jump to the 2:40 mark. That's when the shooting starts. Where does PA stand on ARs in deer season?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Holy crap, Dan shot 10 rounds at that doe... that ought to get the anti semi guy's cranked up :LOL:

I should have kept watching... it was a buck. Dave had already hit it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That’s a scary thought. Those guys hunt a lot, and I lost count of how many shots he fired. The weekend warriors I run into might kill half the forest as they sprayed clip after clip. On the other hand there have been times where I wish I had a few more rapid fire shots

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
PA would limit capacity to 5 rounds, same as a plugged shotgun, tube mag lever.

The rate of fire in the video is a lot slower than I would be (or would have been) when I used to shoot my Rem 700 BDL bolt an awful lot. But they just blast a lot of rounds.

Shows they suck at shooting. I have never acutally needed two, and only three or four times in my life have I ever launched more than one. But upon recovery, the carcass showed the follow ups were not required. You don't know that in the moment so if the animal is not down immediately you take a good 2nd if you got it. Read that carefully - not spray and pray.

A video like this just fuels the fire that ARs limited to a five round mag are somehow different than other actions in terms of lethality.

It just gives more fodder to the fossils in Woolrich bemoaning the Monday opener and longer archery season. Oh to be 1972.

One and only one reason ARs (or other semis, ARs dont own the market) limited to five lije everything else are not legal in PA - totally stupid people.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Two different deer,@loridr. First one he was shooting at was a doe. The second was the dink buck.
Nope. The first deer was the buck that Dave had hit over on the island, and it came out to Dan who fire 10 rounds at it. The second deer was the doe, it came out straight acorss from Dan and he fire 2 shots and killed it. Look at 4:36 of the video.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. The first deer was the buck that Dave had hit over on the island, and it came out to Dan who fire 10 rounds at it. The second deer was the doe, it came out straight acorss from Dan and he fire 2 shots and killed it. Look at 4:36 of the video.
OH. OK. I stand corrected. Guess I was ducking down behind the computer desk so I didn't get hit. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
OH. OK. I stand corrected. Guess I was ducking down behind the computer desk so I didn't get hit. :ROFLMAO:

You know the greater issue to me other than the barrage of shots, was that Dan's first couple rounds were when the deer was in a direct line with the island where Dave was posted. I understand Dan was in a tree, and maybe Dave was too. I also don't know exactly where on the island Dave was... maybe Dan did and felt it was safe, but if I were Dave I wouldn't have been very happy about it.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I think he shot that many times to make the video a goof, or he was having fun, either way, I wouldn't want a deer that shot up. If you hunt with the beast, you get half the meat.....ought to be a t-shirt?

As far as AR's, I will likely never hunt deer with one, I'm a one shot, handload, like the way I do it with my bolt action kind of guy. That said, if we are to be inclusive as a group of all weapons, bring your black rifle and have fun.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You can fling lead just as fast with a pump or lever, some guys can almost do it with a bolt. I really don’t have any interest in using one for deer but not being allowed to use them is based on emotion not fact.
Based on fact. Look at the mechanics of the movement it takes to fire a pump or a lever just as fast as a semi. It’s physically impossible.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Based on fact. Look at the mechanics of the movement it takes to fire a pump or a lever just as fast as a semi. It’s physically impossible.
If you’re talking the milliseconds difference yes you would be correct. My point was a real world difference doesn’t exist, a slob that just wants to fling lead can already do it with guns that are already legal.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.