The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I'm using Gold Tip Traditional, 35/55 with 250 grains up front. 50gr brass insert with a 125gr Wensel Woodsman glued to a 75gr steel adapter. Shooting them out of a 47# longbow. Total arrow weight is around 435gr.
Sounds nice, my 6MM all said and done are 485-490 depending on the arrow. My 5mm were about 505 grains all done with lighted nocks. Looking at upgrading to 125 grain brodheads for the 6MM FMJ

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I’ve got a theoretical question. So heavy arrows soak up more of the bows energy, making them quieter. Is there a certain arrow weight where no matter how much more weight you add the sound won’t go down. Was thinking if you used a 1000 or 1200 grain arrow the bow might just make a slight whoosh as it was shot, but not sure if that really how it would work in real life. Would be an interesting test.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I watch a lot of this guy’s videos, and he did a test on arrow weights just like that. He doesn’t completely answer your question, but he shows how with a nearly 1200 grain arrow, he still hasn’t maxed out his bows efficiency in transferring the stored energy of the limbs into the kinetic energy of the arrow. Interesting video if you’re kind of a nerd like me.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I’ve got a theoretical question. So heavy arrows soak up more of the bows energy, making them quieter. Is there a certain arrow weight where no matter how much more weight you add the sound won’t go down. Was thinking if you used a 1000 or 1200 grain arrow the bow might just make a slight whoosh as it was shot, but not sure if that really how it would work in real life. Would be an interesting test.
First and foremost, You're not looking for a necessarily heavy arrow, but a "heavier" arrow with the extra weight up front (FOC). For me, that was going from a 340 spine (Beman 9.3 gr/in.), standard insert, 100 grain head, to a Gold Tip 300 spine, also 9.3 gr./in., 150 grain brass inserts and 100 grain head. (Total arrow weight of 562 grains and 18% FOC).
I've always been anal about shooting a very quiet bow but this arrow makes my bow nearly silent. Shooting right beside guys, they look at me after my first shot and remark that they barely heard it.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts