The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
No reason, just have the 75lb mod so why not, we’ll see, might be too much for the stand, I would rather shoot lower if it’s quieter but if they are the same then why not max out the limbs :)
I should probably go to a shop and have a full tune done. My list “to do” list keeps getting longer by the day. I hate saying things like this but is there a speed I should be at to try and limit deer dodging the arrow. Right now at about 260ish FPS
When you get a little older your aching shoulders will tell you why not. There is no speed that you are going to achieve with a compound bow that will totally eliminate a deer jumping the string. Best way to eliminate string jumping is to shoot at relaxed unaware of your presence deer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You think a 500ish grain arrow will work good with a mech head, it’s what I use now. What broadheads you use?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Having your bow tuned and shooting an arrow with no wobble is more important than arrow weight. Your goal should be to have all the energy from your arrow directly in line with your broadhead. With perfect arrow flight even a lightweight bow will blow an arrow completely through a whitetail. Right now i am shooting 125 grain slick trick standards. Killed a lot of deer with QAD exodus the last few years. Both of these heads fly great for me.

Reactions: tdd

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I just got some Victory Decimator 350 Extremes, cut them down to 29” and they fly like darts. Great arrows for the money..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok, will take a look at them, going to Lancaster Archery ( if they are open. Columbus Day so not sure) and going to try and test some different arrows.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Bought a half dozen 6MM FMJ yesterday, finished fletching them myself last night. I got 320 spine, 10.6 gpi so a little lighter than the 5mm. Hopefully this set is good and we have no issues

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
breaking nocks..sounds like nocks arent set on string when you shoot?...or nocks are getting pinched?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
breaking nocks..sounds like nocks arent set on string when you shoot?...or nocks are getting pinched?
Not exactly sure, took them to Lancaster Archery and they said that they were a bad batch, the inside of the arrow was messed up a little causing the knocks to get pinched. The only real difference between 6MM and 5mm FMJ is arrow diameter and weight. 5mm penetrates a little deeper (about an inch more based off my target) while the 6MM is a little faster (hunting arrow is about 25 grains lighter than 5mm) I think that they are pretty good, I’ll know more about them after the season

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The problem with FMJ is they destroy your FOC. You're better off with a lighter gpi arrow, correctly spined to handle a little (or a lot) more weight up front.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The problem with FMJ is they destroy your FOC. You're better off with a lighter gpi arrow, correctly spined to handle a little (or a lot) more weight up front.
what do you mean by that, I have a 50 grain insert up front with a 100 grain head. Total arrrow is about 485, just trying to understand what you mean.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Again my 320 6mm’s have a standard insert and 125g broadheads. They fly very well and penetrate GREAT.

If they are 30” long and you don’t like them, I’ll buy them from you since I recommended them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So far I think they are pretty good, they lose a little in penetration vs the 5mm but I gained a little speed which I like. I bought wasp darts to go with them but did a penetration test against my rage 3 blade SC’s and the rage won consistently by about 3-4 inches. I fletched them myself so they are a touch wobbly, first time self fletching.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just switched to Black Eagle X-Impact 350. They seem ok had some issues with the outserts but I think I have that figured out. Killed an adult doe with that arrow and a mechanical broadhead got a complete pass through with about 3” stuck in the dirt.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just switched to Black Eagle X-Impact 350. They seem ok had some issues with the outserts but I think I have that figured out. Killed an adult doe with that arrow and a mechanical broadhead got a complete pass through with about 3” stuck in the dirt.
I’m shooting the 6MM FMJ with a 100 grain Rage 3 blade SC, the little older version but they seem really good to me, out penetrates the fixed blade I have on the target while having a bigger cut. I like them so far, hopefully I’ll get a shot at this 6pt Buck I’m following tomorrow

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm using Gold Tip Traditional, 35/55 with 250 grains up front. 50gr brass insert with a 125gr Wensel Woodsman glued to a 75gr steel adapter. Shooting them out of a 47# longbow. Total arrow weight is around 435gr.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts