The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, I’m bordering between the 340 and 300 spine, thinking I’ll go stiffer as hopefully my draw will increase in the future

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used to shoot 340 FMJs and was near the upper limit for stiffness (30” draw length and pulling mid/upper 60’s). When I needed new arrows a few years ago I went with 320 FMJ 6mm’s. They are/were actually a bit cheaper, but there is a slight reduction in straightness tolerance. The 6mm’s are a bit lighter in grains/inch, but with the stiffer shaft I was able to switch to 125g broadheads. I’ve been getting better flight with the 6mm’s and they seem to be more durable (have yet to bend a shaft) Plus they take a regular insert vs the HIT’s used in the 5mm FMJs. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I shoot the 6mm also with a 50 grain brass insert. I prefer the regular insert instead of the HIT is why i shoot 6mm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looking at getting the Easton 4mm Injexion FMJ, anybody have experience with them, only downside is that I would have to use a 50 grain half-out for my regular broadheads.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Your money you can shoot whatever you choose. If you use a bag target for practice you will hate the outserts. As far as i can see the only possible advantage of 4mm would be Slightly less wind resistance and MAYBE a slight increase in penetration. Shooting whitetails at 30 yards and under in pennsylvania you will never notice a difference in either.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Looking at getting the Easton 4mm Injexion FMJ, anybody have experience with them, only downside is that I would have to use a 50 grain half-out for my regular broadheads.
I can get good patterns out to 70yds with the 6mm’s. I don’t experience much wind deflection when practicing, so for PA Hunting it should be a non-issue. I believe you need special tips and broadheads (deep 6) for the 4mms, and I have read they are more prone to bending.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok, I found out that inserts and bags don’t mix the hard way, ripped 3 half outs in my 5mm FMJ’s first week. As far as the 6MM go, what kind of arrow weight are you getting with them, gpi is a little lower in those.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ok, I found out that inserts and bags don’t mix the hard way, ripped 3 half outs in my 5mm FMJ’s first week. As far as the 6MM go, what kind of arrow weight are you getting with them, gpi is a little lower in those.
Never weighed them. 30”ish arrow at 10.3g/in. Blazers. Regular (or sometimes lighter nock). Regular aluminum insert. 125g tips. I’m estimating the total arrow to be around 450.

No issue whatsoever with penetration on whitetails. I shot a moose in NFLD last year with this setup. 75yd quartering away. Arrow went partway through the opposite should blade. They hit like a freight train.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sounds like they work good, are they more durable/less prone to bending than the 5 and 4 mm’s? Or is it more of if it’s going to bend then the arrow size doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I use the brass insert to keep the weight up to where i want it, you can use them at 75 grains or 50 grains. my arrows are around 430 grains. you are shooting longer shafts than i do so you will gain weight there and you will need a stiffer spine than i shoot so you will gain weight there also. depending on broadhead and insert weight you could easily get to 450 to 500 grain total arrow weight.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
My bow is set at 56.74 and I shoot an 28.5 inch 400 Axis 5mm with 75 grain brass HIT inserts. If I buy new arrows I would probably go with 340 spine, I hunted last year at I think 52 pounds post shoulder surgery. I did have a bad left tear with this Chill X bow which could indicate an under spine arrow, but I swapped my cam hat bushings to move my cams to the left and it shoots bullet holes and is really a smooth easy to pull bow for an old guy on a cold November morning.

·
Super Moderator
7,821 Posts
Anything that is on the front of the arrow and is wider than the shaft will be a REAL pain the butt in a bag target.

I have points for my FMJ's that are just barely bigger in diameter than the shaft and it's sometimes a chore to withdraw them from the bag.

Back in the days of the original Beeman carbon arrows with those big honkin' outserts, I lost those so frequently that I stopped practicing with the Beemans, to the point of retuning for them before the season and shooting aluminum shafts for spring/summer practice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok, my current 5mm Hunting arrows are 500 grains on the dot, Im shooting about 65 pounds this season, shot 70 in the summer but am not quiet enough to draw that while sitting in stand. Hoping to shoot 75 next fall, trying to max out the Vertix. I’m 29 inch draw, was thinking either 280 for 4mm, either 300 or 250 for 5mm, haven’t looked at 6MM yet but will do later

·
Super Moderator
7,821 Posts
Any particular reason you want to shoot that much draw weight?

I used to shoot higher weights, but I found my last two bows tuned much better at the low end of their draw weight range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No reason, just have the 75lb mod so why not, we’ll see, might be too much for the stand, I would rather shoot lower if it’s quieter but if they are the same then why not max out the limbs :)
I should probably go to a shop and have a full tune done. My list “to do” list keeps getting longer by the day. I hate saying things like this but is there a speed I should be at to try and limit deer dodging the arrow. Right now at about 260ish FPS

21 - 40 of 64 Posts