The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Trying to get some insight on arrows, shooting 340 FMJ’s right now but they have been nothing but problems. What do you all shoot?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I shoot fmj. never had a problem with them. What is happening with yours

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having a lot of nick issues, the factory ones keep snapping at the collar, tried switching to lumenok nocks and they don’t fit right. Mainly just issues with nocks, love the way they penetrate though.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
That’s odd.

I’ve got nocks on shafts from when I bought them in 2009 and still shoot them.

What’s your arrow length/draw weight?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are 29.5 arrow length, 29 draw, changing draw a little from 70 down to 65 or so, little more comfortable in the stand. I use the half out inserts if that means anything

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
I shoot CS maxima reds, 350 spine. Never any issues.

You got to get the right size lumunocks or they can be a pain. Even the right size can be less than tight. You cann fix that with a small strip of paper used as a shim, but spin them to make sure they are in straight, then shoot them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I went on their website and it said I needed lumenok X nocks, super tight to get in and will probably be impossible to get out. How do the Maxima Reds penetrate?

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
I shoot 340's with a 28.5" shaft and 62lbs.

While I think you might experience a slight weak-spine reaction (I know, the charts say it's right...I've found most spine charts trend weak), I can't see how you'd be in a situation where there's too much stress on the nock.

You're using the standard X-nocks?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, ones straight from the factory. Have also had some incidents where the nock comes loose as you shoot. Had one stick to my string as the arrow flew off. Only on one arrow though. I’ve broke 3 or 4 nocks now. Bad batch you think?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You think I should buy new FMJ or try something else. Really like the way arrows penetrate, blow my carbon arrows out of the water, have shot through my target with them multiple times. Not sure what to do at the moment.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Gold Tip 340’s tried everything else and found out they shoot better then I doe.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Are you shooting 5mm or 6mm FMJ's?

I'm wondering if you got 6mm shafts with 5mm nocks.....

My shafts, bought over three separate purchases over the last 11-12 years, all are snug with my nocks. I've NEVER, in thousands of shots on two different bows, had this kind of thing going on. Something is definitely not as it should be with your shafts/nocks and how they fit together.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shoot the 5mm FMJ, I use the standard nocks that come on them, only nock I have changed is my three hunting arrows fitted with the lumenoks, which are incredibly snug, probably going to have to break them to get them out. Just today I had a knock snap and had to use a screw to get the other half of the nock out of the shaft. Frustrating, my Easton Hexx and Hyperspeed have no problem with nocks, only reason I don’t use them is because I only have 1 of each, was doing some speed testing.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Get a nock turning tool, or use an allen wrench that's slightly smaller than the throat, and twist them as you pull. They'll come up MUCH easier.

Something's just odd here with the issues you're describing with the nocks. Did you get the shafts at a shop? If so, maybe bring them back in and ask about the issue?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got them at an archery shop in NJ, they have been good until about 3-4 weeks ago, I have tried all the stops as far as getting the nocks out, pliers barely even wiggle them, to turn the lumenoks off I have to bend the contact wire up as the actual nock can’t move. I might just buy a fresh set...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts