The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Fedora Longbow 58" 55# @ 28" . I'm having a hard time getting it shoot good. I group well with it but it shoots low.I've tried canting it at different angles and get the same results. I've been using Gold Tip 55-75's. I'd like to stick with carbons if I can . They fly great out of my recurve. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I use Gold Tip 3555 + 225 gr points with my Bear Montana #50 and they work well at a distance. However, they angle down and right at close range 10 - 15 feet. What weight point are you using?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Not knowing all your parameters but taking a guess at them, a GT 3555 would be more like it. Google Stu Miller's Dynamic Spine Calculator, download it and it'll tell you what you need. And yes, you'll certainly be able to stay with carbons.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Try a heavier point - get yourself several greater weight field tips and try them out. Longbows are made to shoot a heavy pointed stick.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyones advice. I'll try some 35/55's and try some different grain points.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Shooting thru paper will tell you a lot about what that arrow is doing leaving the bow.. Heavier heads sound likely necessary in your case, but getting the proper arrow spine to start with is best. FWIW, my bows always seem to shoot the straightest arrows when I have arrows one series lighter than the arrow manufacturer's charts show for my draw length and draw weight and head weights. All the manufacturer's have online charts to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts