The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this while trout fishing with a friend yesterday. Didn't catch any fish, but to me, this was just as good. Can anybody tell me anything about it? How old? Who made it? Found in Schuylkill county. Thanks!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Looks like quartz, I can't tell for sure but it looks a little pink if so it is rose quartz. I found a hide scraper while digging my garden made of rose quartz.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Strait' n Arrow, I just did some quick research for ya. The material is quartzite. As far as point type and age I would say, without measuring it which we must do in the profession to confirm, a Genesee point. They have been radiocarbon dated from 2980 B.C. + - 260. Genesee points are recognized across much of Pennsylvania. References = Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points by Noel D. Justice and William Ritchie The Archaeology of New York State. Like I said to be as positive as possible a series of measurements are taken and compared to measurements of known dated examples. Nice find. You do know that where you found that one chances are there are others near by. Record and protect the site and thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
VERY nice find my friend! So when are we getting together and sifting the creek in that area?! I can't believe I missed that it was you who posted this

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
It's a very nice point considering that the actual tip is still pointy..Usually they are damaged at the tip...Nice way to start a collection. It isn't often that you will find one this perfect of a condition...And yes, it's quartzite, one of the more durable materials found in this part of the state for making arrowheads, and part of the reason your point is in such good condition.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1024268&page=1

·
Registered
67 Posts
Big Ken your still using that "durable" word when you describe the lithics used by the aborigines in Pennsylvania. The natives used stone that would concoidal fracture. It was all durable that's why they selected it. Cherts, Quartz, Quartzite, Rhyolite, Jasper, and Argillite to name a few.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Unfortunately, eastern Pa. was not blessed with the high quality lithics of ,say,the Ohio valley....Compressed shales,Argillite, Rhyolite did not hold up as well as Quartzite or Jasper which is why artifacts made from these materials , especially Quartzite, are often found more intact than artifacts made from the compressed "mud"....I have found literally thousands of artifacts made from all kinds of material, and quartzite arrowheads are commonly undamaged compared to the rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts