The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am a long time gun hunter with some questions about arrows. I started to get into shooting a bow a few years back, purchased one, then was sidelined with a couple of surgeries. I have dusted off the bow and I am able to shoot again. There seems to be an endless supply of products out there for bow hunters. One product I don't seem to understand are arrow wraps. I have several questions about them.
What purpose do they serve? Does the fletching attach better to wraps? Is it just a cool factor? Does the wrap affect arrow flight at all? I use a whisker biscuit, will that tear up the wraps? Can they be easily removed when they have to be replaced?
These might sound like stupid questions, but being a gun guy all these years I am still learning the archery game. You guys have way to many accessories to choose from !!
gets cunfusing for a newbie. Thanks

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
My big thing with arrow raps are identification.
Wether you are identifying your arrow from a friends or if you shoot a deer and the arrow is still sticking out, you'll be better able to see it as the deer runs off.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Squeaks nailed it. It is so much easier to see an arrow that has been wrapped. The wraps also add a personalized touch to the kill. Luminoks do the same job even better in low light.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Makes fletching easier to remove from carbon arrows, arrow wrap residue cleans up easily with isopropyl alchol. As others mentioned, easier to follow arrow flight to your target, especially when you use wraps with a lot of white.

I have shot them thru a whisher biscuit for four years and had noticed no flight effects and never had one to be torn up. Caution when buying as there are different diameter sizes and lengths. Only downfall I have against them, is you can't just replace one vane you must do all three along with a new arrow wrap.

They are COOL and add a personal touch too.

I'll PM you a good arrow wrap site to browse of a lot of neat wraps. Excellent service and choices and good prices.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
i shoot a white wrap with white feathers and they are great to see during the shot. A wrap will also help with ur FOC by adding some weight in the back

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I started using a "white wrap" after I shot a buck and spent 45 mins trying to find the arrow...Makes finding your arrow so much easier. Instead of using an actual wrap, i tape off the end 6" of my arrow shaft and spray with white lacquer paint before I fletch my arrows. Works great and looks cool too.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Squeaks said:
My big thing with arrow raps are identification.
Wether you are identifying your arrow from a friends or if you shoot a deer and the arrow is still sticking out, you'll be better able to see it as the deer runs off.
Yep! What he said! Better adhesion for the vanes, seeing where your arrow hit the deer, and the cool factor. I use a WB rest with my wraps, never had a problem yet! Naturally, the thicker the wrap will be the more chances you might have with the WB catching the bristles. If you decide you want wraps, go to http://www.onestringer.com . Best wraps I ever used, and no problems!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I like them because you can watch arrow flight better and see where you hit when shooting with others at 3D shoots.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll give the wraps a try. They are some cool looking arrows in the photo's.

·
Registered
351 Posts
brighter the better in my oppinion. it makes no sense to me that arrows come in different camo patterns and in all black because i like to find my arrow when i shoot a deer to help identify where my shot may have been.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Why wraps? If they didn't have wraps, archers would have nothing new to spend money.
If wraps are good for identifying the arrow after shooting the deer, what is identifying the trail of the deer?

I guess some genius will have to come up with brightly colored wraps, that fall and track the deer from the arrow hit to its demise at fifty, 100, 1000 yards away.

If money is involved, someone will surely find the "have to have" product.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Wraps or crests (painted) simply make the arrow more visble for pinpointing your shot placement and recovering the arrow after the shot. They also are a way to personalize you arrows. Indians also tended to personalize their weapons as a way of staying intimate with the kill.I don't care for the paint so I use the wraps and choose my fletch colors to make my arrows uniquely my own.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I don't get it really. All you can see during the shot is the nock at best. Sure, I can see being able to more easily see it sticking out of the ground, but if you have to look that hard it was probably too far away to shoot at anyway.

Another thing that gets me. People spend big $$$$ on camo. Hands face, the whole bit. Then they decide to put white wraps on a dozen arrows they deem nessessarry to carry with them, and it looks like a white tail going through the woods. Anybody that isn't blind can spot them going through the woods for as far as anybody can see. I'm sure the deer can spot them too. Besides the white, why is it really required to carry that many arrows? To add more weight onto a bow that someone spent the extra $100 for the lighter model?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I use wraps on some of my arrows because they look good on an arrow. That's about all they are good for.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
Wraps or crests (painted) simply make the arrow more visble for pinpointing your shot placement and recovering the arrow after the shot. They also are a way to personalize you arrows. Indians also tended to personalize their weapons as a way of staying intimate with the kill.I don't care for the paint so I use the wraps and choose my fletch colors to make my arrows uniquely my own.
This right here is the reason archers use them, period! If you see no reason to use them, then don't!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use wraps...used to dip and crest now I make my own wraps and crest them myself. I like how they look on the arrow and they make fletchings adhere a little easier. All my hunting arrows are wrapped in white and have at least 2 white feathers...never had a deer spook because of them

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
You really should re-size that photo! I re-sized it for you. Photoshop showed it as a 29"x39" photo, which is entirely too large to display. Here is a smaller more easier for anyone on dial-up!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts