The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys heres my question...

whats the average arrow weight that you want for hunting applications...

heres why i ask..

i shot a buck slightly quartering towards me had to shoot up on the shoulder slightly..and my arrow never passed thru the deer...but ended up in the hind quarter and the arrow should have exited mid rib cage...after i spent 20 mins looking for my arrow(deer fell insight about 20 yards from where i shot it which was only a 25 yard shot)i forgot about finding it and went to the deer to find out no exit hole..so this had me stumped as i have never shot a deer with my excal equinox that hasnt passed thru...so upon further inspection i come to find out that i did not hit the shoulder bone on the entry hole but i hit a rib on the exit side and that deflected my arrow back into the hind quarter..the broad head was tight against the hind bone...so this got my mind wondering..so i came home and weighed my arrow and it weighed 368 grs with the 100 grain 3 blade muzzy...i have shot plenty of deer this same way but never had a problem with complete pass thrus with the vertical bow with about 420grns arrow weight from the vertical bow so i just figured what the general rule was that most follow for the x-bow arrows?????????

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
The gold standard had been around 410-420 grains. Some shoot less than that if there bows are able to and some chose to shoot heavier.

I tend to favor a heavy arrow. The lightest I have shot is 410 grains. I am shooting 545 grains now which many consider too heavy but I am not one of them. I lose a little in trajectory but I gain penetration if I need it, it will quiet the bow down and it is easier on the bow itself.

Just my preference.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DPMS thanks for your input...im just about out of my muzzy 100 grain heads and lookig into buying new heads and thinking about the muzzy crossfire 150 grainers..im not too worried about the trajectory because im not shooting over 30 yards on a regular basis...and i believe excalibur recommends a 150 grain head...in my last year of shooting a vertical bow i finally switched to carbon arrows..i loved the 2315 2317 and for hunting i used the big 2419 with the 100 grain head..and those arrows was over 600 grains....so i was leaning towards the heavier stuff for the crossbow also...i like kinetic energy over speed....

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
You might want to check out the American Broadhad Company Bolt Sonics. They are 150 grain and are cut on contact heads with replaceable blades. I am using them in my Vortex. The cut on contact will help with penetration as well.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks cspot but i dont like that head style...i like the trocar tip on the muzzy....i have shot a similar broadhead out of my vert bow the hoyt chuck it...and while it did the job ive seen where the tip of the blade bends or breaks off if hitting solid bone like a shoulder bone....so i prefer the trocar tip...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
You might like the Gold Tip Laser IV and a 100 grain head. It's a heavy shaft with good F.O.C. and would still allow a 100 grain head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I shoot Easton Carbon power bolts with 100 gr. muzzy broadheads. Mine weigh in around 415. Shoot dead on from 10-30 yards with same pin and got complete passthrough.
I used 125 gr. the first year I used crossbow and 110gr. bear broadheads in early season this year.
I found that the longer and wider the broad head the more they tend to plane off to one side or another, so the bear ones had to go at nearly 2.5 inches. If the broad head is heavier they will give you more pass through power, but will tend to be less accurate. I found myself needing pins for 10-20-30-40 yrd. with the 125 gr head from muzzy and the same carbon bolts they seem to be accurate and efficient all in one.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
ksunny said:
I shoot Easton Carbon power bolts with 100 gr. muzzy broadheads. Mine weigh in around 415. Shoot dead on from 10-30 yards with same pin and got complete passthrough.
I used 125 gr. the first year I used crossbow and 110gr. bear broadheads in early season this year.
I found that the longer and wider the broad head the more they tend to plane off to one side or another, so the bear ones had to go at nearly 2.5 inches. If the broad head is heavier they will give you more pass through power, but will tend to be less accurate. I found myself needing pins for 10-20-30-40 yrd. with the 125 gr head from muzzy and the same carbon bolts they seem to be accurate and efficient all in one.
A wide-cut broadhead will fly just as well as any other head if you took the time to mate it to the arrow correctly. With todays incredi-fast bows and xbows, arrow tuning is that much more important, as the slightest imperfection in the arrow to head transition. If you have the slightest amount of wobble in the head you're using, you will never...ever hit where you're aiming, I will promise you. I spin check every single one of my hunting bolts and if they do not spin PERFECTLY, they don't get put in the quiver. My Cyclone chronos an avg 354 fps, and the littlest imperfection in the arrow to broadhead union WILL cause BIG differences in where that bolt is going to hit down range. You might not notice it at 10 yards, but the impact change will grow exponentially worse the farther away you shoot.

This is so wrong, I don't even know where to begin. The only correct part of this sentence is that a heavier arrow (with the heavier head on it) will GENERALLY give you more Kinetic Energy by making the bow more effiecient and thus allowing it to put more of its stored energy into the arrow/bolt, but even that only goes to just so far. Make an arrow/bolt heavy enough and you start to LOSE KE and start to have a more arking trajectory and less usable range. The thing that is going to give you more "pass through power" as you called it is the energy of the bolt imparted to it by the bow, how SHARP your broadhead blades are and WHERE you hit the animal in the first place. ACCURACY has nothing to do with how big the head is screwed into the end of your arrow. From mechanicals to Rothar Snuffers, I can get the exact same flight characteristics with my xbow, because I make sure they are all tuned correctly to the bolt I'm shooting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea the bears did plane off, but all to same direction, so I adjusted for that when setting up pins, but didn't like how much the 125 grain affected drop, as on my bow I couldn't seem to get a second pin setup at all on any grain. Turned out in the end that 100 grain muzzy worked well...shot as well as field points did, no plane and no massive drops...so that's what I ended up using to take out a deer this year. 40 yard heart shot, so sticking with 100 grain shorter blades!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts