The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a QAD HDX rest for christmas and finally got around to installing it this weekend. When I went to take off the bolt from the old rest that has been on the bow for 7 years, it was on tight to the point that my allen wrench bent. I tried spraying PB blaster and letting it sit overnight then tapping it lightly with a hammer and applying again, but that didn't help either.

I've read to heat the bolt with a blow torch, but I'm not too keen on the idea of taking a blow torch to my bow. Plus I'd probably catch it on fire at this point with as much PB blaster as I've sprayed.

Any suggestions for getting the bolt out short of drilling it out and re-tapping the hole?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
You can try tapping the rest. Sometimes the rest gets bound and is putting pressure on the bolt. You can also drill just the head off and then remove the rest. Then you should be able to get the bolt out. I have done both of these in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,901 Posts
I would get a good allen bit and put in the screw. Then try giving the allen bit a few good blows from a ball peen hammer. Then put a ratchet or small breaker bar on the bit, you will get more breaking torque using an allen socket over an allen wrench.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried tapping the rest and was able to get it to move, but not the bolt/screw. I used an allen bit and a ratchet and I'm pretty sure the head is almost completely stripped. Tried using a lighter to heat up the bolt for 5 minutes and that did nothing either. It's looking like drilling and retapping might be the only option. So frustrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
You might also cut a staright slot in the bolt with a file and use a big screwdriver to remove the bolt, used that trick a few times on stubborn bolts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success! I took a pair of slip joint pliers, pinched as hard as I could and twisted. It started with just the old rest moving and after one good torque the bolt finally moved. A few more hard pulls and I finally had enough of the head to get a better grip. Such a relief... I will be greasing the heck out of those threads before installing the new rest. Thanks for all of the input guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
I am glad you got it! The problem is the dissimilar metals. The riser is aluminum, the bolt steel. I used to see it really bad on old motorcycles back in my mechanic days. You really need to use some type of lube on the threads. Like attackone suggest bow wax works very well. The only place I like to use Loc-Tite on bows is the mod screws as manufacturers recommend. Otherwise I use anti-seize, string wax, something.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top