The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it alright to use a tiny bit of WD-40 or cooking oil as an arrow lube to pull them out of targets instead of overpriced "arrow lube"?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I suppose what you are asking about will work. A guy told me this past weekend that he uses Armor All - not sure what product but his arrows were pulling out easy. I don't use any lube on my arrows but I should to make pulling them easier on me. I know a few people use Woody's Arrow Lube.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've used Real Magic for years. Spray my arrows and whisker biscuit. Fishing, archery, electronics, etc. You can buy it at BPS, Cabela's, Wallyworld, lots of places.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I've got about a 8 year old "bag" target, and you don't need anything at all to get an arrow out of it. Come out with the greatest of ease. Those things amaze me how well they work.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Black magic or turtle wax black N wet work great and are much cheaper than arrow lube. armorall works but is a little too thin and runs all over. I make lube tubes out of snuff cans, bubble gum tape cans, and film canisters. Drill a hole in each end that the arrow just fits through, put pieces of sponge inside and soak sponge with black magic, then just slide the first couple inches of the arrow through the holes in the plastic and it leaves a nice light coat of lube. Black magic is thick enough that when held by the sponge it doesn't leak out the holes. I still keep it in a ziplock incase it ever does leak but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a lube tube but you can make one real easy
Piece of plastic conduit maybe 3 inches long with a cap at both ends
Put a sponge inside before glueing the caps on
Drill a 1/4" or 3/8 hole in one cap then put black magic tire shine in the tube.
Your arrow will poke a hole in the sponge the first time you stick it in
Works real well
Or get a lube tube from lancaster archery for 9 bucks
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/advanced...rru8m7ubkesjh96

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i wouldnt go putting car tire lube on your hunting arrows

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
For foam 3D targets I use Ivory soap; just rub some on the first several inches of the shaft. I read this somewhere, tried it and it works great, better than the lubes IMO.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Why dont you just lift weights instead. It will make pulling those arrows alot smoother, the girls will like the new look, and it makes dragging your deer a heck of alot easier to.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Buck Whisperer said:
Why dont you just lift weights instead. It will make pulling those arrows alot smoother, the girls will like the new look, and it makes dragging your deer a heck of alot easier to.
You have never shot 3-D when the temp is near freezing. The arrow melts the foam & bonds together. Muscle has nothing to due with getting the arrows out.. Ivory soap works great or any of the tire black products work well & are cheaper than the arrow lube.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
also another trick to use is dont just walk up and try to pull the arrow out, grab the arrow and twist it, it should break lose then u can pull it out.....but to answer ur question if ur looking to use something around the house use the soap if u want to buy something get some woody's

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
jimsdad said:
You guys don't use any of this stuff when hunting, or do you?
Of course it's not for hunting...just 3D foam targets. I've tried various lubes and none are better than a bar of ivory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts