The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some help. I'm trying to find a solution to holding my arrow on the shelf so I can hang it up. I've seen the arrow holders, but with my 5 inch feathers I really don't have any room for it to fit on the shaft. My brace height right now is 7 3/4 and I don't want to put any more twists to gain any more room. Any solutions? I can only think of either re-fletching and moving the feathers back towards the nock or increasing my bh which I don't want to do.

·
Registered
216 Posts
gumband on a straight wire. if you are willing to put a small hole in the back of your riser. cut off a heavy paperclip about an inch long. glue it in the back of your riser at arrow hieght.Tie the gumband to it loop the gumband around the arrow and hook it back to the wire. It holds the arrow on till you draw and the gumband rolls off the tip of the wire. Its a slick deal and works well taking up little room. only downfall is putting a hole into the riser.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Coincidentally, I just installed an arrow holder on my bow about a half hour ago. I also use five inch feathers and, with the arrow nocked, there's about an inch clearance from the feathers to the shelf. Plenty of room for the holder to clip on the arrow. All I had to do was file away a bit of the rubber because it was gripping the arrow too tightly. Works great. Are you saying your feathers are actually touching the shelf?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic to show you guys what I'm dealing with. I should of figured this out month's ago but never thought about it until now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes, I can see your problem. You say you don't want to put anymore twists in the string. Why? Is it because of tuning issues with a higher brace? I have a brace of 8 3/8" because that's where my bow shoots the smoothest/quietest. If I thought the string was twisted too much I'd have just made a bit shorter string.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turkeyman,
I guess I could put more twists in the string and see how she shoots. It's just shooting so good now I'm afraid to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
When I bought my bow the bowyer recommended a brace height of 7 1/2 to 8 1/2. My question was, "How do you know what you want?" He said that, generally, you'll find a brace which gives you the quietest and smoothest result and that this could be dependant upon the string material, your shooting style and the general makeup of the particular bow. So I started playing with the brace and found that point. Now, if you end up with too many twists in the string it'll let you know. When you unstring it the string wants to "curl up". I think I read somewhere that the generally accepted number of twists is 3 or 4 to the inch but I just go by the "curl" factor.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Thanks, Trap! I saw that several years ago and I couldn't remember how it was set up. This is the one I was trying to remember for you, Junior.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Saunder's kwik-lock can be installed on the front of your riser so your brace height won't come into play.A slight pull just before you draw will release the arrow and it will spring out of the way.I have one on my Kodiak and it works well out of a tree stand or stalking. It does suck to look under yout tree at stare at your nock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts