The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my first arrowhead the other day. Spend all this time looking and then I find one when I am not. My questions is what type of rocks did the Native Americans in Western PA make there heads out of? I believe this is flint, but was told there is no flint in Pa. I have seen heads in NJ made out of quartz.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Indians traded material, so just because something did not exist in PA doesn't mean PA indians did not have access to it or use it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
True they did trade for flint and other materials. According to a guy I know who is up on htis, there is supposed to be some really good flint in OH and KY. Also I've heard about a site in Bedford county that was a supply of poor grade fliint for arrowheads.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
When I was a kid I found a nice hunk of red flint down by Herndon while looking for arrowheads. It weighed about five pounds and I had it for a while then over the years I just misplaced it or something.......Ken

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is flint in Pa. One amazing thing is the sides are still sharp. I am going back today with a sifter and shovel to try and find others

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Cool find. My son and I have been looking on and off this summer for arrowheads with no luck yet. There has to be a few out there somewhere. Did you have any more luck when you went back?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
The farms along the Susquehana are a gold mine for finding indian artifacts..My grandfather found lots of arrowheads,axeheads,etc. through the years. He had an awesome collection which he found on such farms...Me, most of mine were found on the family farm and only one came easy--when I was a kid I was playing with my Tonka trucks and I dug a shallow hole in the dirt just beyond our porch steps...I found a dandy four inch arrowhead made of white flint...I still have it and even though I have found others through the years, this one remains the pride of my collection.....Ken

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked but, no luck. I will try another spot. I tied to date the arrow head but they more or less all looked the same. this one was my first and I was with my son so this will always be my special one(my precious).

·
Registered
390 Posts
i have about 200 arrowheads that were found in the carbon county area of pa. most are made from flint, some quartzite, and a few are from jasper.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've been told that a great deal of high-quality flint heads found in PA and elsewhere have been traced back to a variety that is found around the Coshocton, OH area. Not only was the material used for trade, but large stockpiles of already-knapped heads were found amongst other trade goods that date to pre-contact periods. Some were on display at an odd little museum I visited last summer in the area.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
t-t,

Try looking in freshly disked fields handy to larger streams or rivers. The best time is right after it rains on a freshly disked field. My recently retired buddy relic hunts all the time. He usually secures permission on even posted farms by politely explaining his hobby and telling the land owner he'll also pick up any trash or metal he finds in the fields. He usually comes home with more bucketfuls of trash than relics but he has found some interesting pieces. His relic hunting has also led to bow hunting opportunities on property posted against hunting. The owners get to know him and appreciate his taking out material that could be hazardous to livestock or machinery. He makes sure to take the time to talk to the land owner and show them what he has found. He'll even offer the owner a pick of what he's found if they're interested.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Arrowhead hunting used to be a big thing around here..Some of the old time farmers in this area have some awesome collections squirreled away in their closets....Ken

·
Registered
776 Posts
While on a hunt in Texas a few years ago one of the guides told me that he knew of a guy that would make arrowheads then go out and toss them around in different areas then charge people for "arrowhead hunts"Ive always wondered if anyone got wise to this guy.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Archer,

My grand father had an incredible collection of arrow heads which I inherited. He found them along the York County side of the Susquehanna River and on islands. There are some local stone, flint, and quartz. I have axes, motars and pestals, flag stones. He found them between 1905 and 1918. I myself have only ever found one and that was along Fishing Creek in Benton, Columbia County Pa.

Regards,

Bob McHenry

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know a couple people that can walk across a field and pick up 5 and I am on my hands and knees and dont find crap. I am trying to date the ones I have. I have seen some internet sites that show the progression of arrow head design. Both the ones I have are totally different material and design. I have a person that is going to tell me the material they are made out of. I think one is a greyish quartz. real smooth and light. I have found alot of larger stones out of the same material on the farm. the other is flint and it has never been found on the farm.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not successful either. We've got some real nice game lands near York that are farmed. I'm out there right after they plow to run my dogs - actually I'm out there .year round, you have to run vizslas or they get destructive. I have yet to find anything other than a nice collection of shot gun shells which get thrown out after every visit.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is not legal to remove arrow heads from game lands.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have been picking arrowheads since I was 10 years old. Its an awesome hobby. Over the years I have accumulated about 5 2.5 gallon buckets. I have given most away. If anybody is in the area and wants to hit some of the farm fields around here after discing. I would be glad to take them out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. What is protocol then if you find something? Mark the spot mentally and notify PGC? Do they have somone that would investigate then location for historical significance? Have'nt found anything yet and I really don't expect to becuase there is not a large enough water source near by. I'm not real intense about looking either for anything other than spent shells and the ubiquitous plastic bags and balloons that I seem to find plenty of. They find a trash can at home.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts