The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had the day off and after I said a prayer for our troops in uniform (former, present and future) I went to my archery club to run a test on arrow flight of carbons and good old Port Orford Cedar. I was using my Rudderbow hickory #50 longbow and the arrows were: Gold Tip Hunter 3555 and Port Orfords all with 125 gr field tips. Here is what I found. At 20 yards there was no differnce in the point of impact. But at 30 yards, allowing for the appropriate gap adjustment in aiming, the carbons dropped 2 feet while the wood shfts stayed on course. I noticed the following as well: the flight of the carbons was very smooth without any fishtialing while the wood shafts sometimes showed a bit of dog tail and sometimes fish tail as well. I am just providing some information for the stick and string longbow shooters who may be interested in the prospect of shooting carbons along with or rather than, wooden arrows. Frankly, I was surprised that the carbons dropped so much after 20 yards while the wood arrows had a higher POI. There is probably a mathimatical formula and aerodynamic explaination but I don't know what that would be.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I shoot GT carbons, and limit my shots to 20 yards. In my bows, these fly as straight and fast. The one thing that I do is foot them---many times the carbon shafts will splinter if the arrow hits a hard rock or other surface.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biggleboy, how do you foot a carbon arrow? I know how this process works for wood arrows but I have no clue on how to do it for carbon shafts and would like to learn how.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts