The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Billions of dollars spent every year on fire alarms, sprinklers, standpipes, and extinguishers in concrete and steel schools to fight fires. Anyone know the last time in the last 100 years that a child was killed in a school fire?

How many times have we had a school shooting? Answer 70 times since 1974. We need to take safeguarding our children seriously. Police officers in schools. A police officer in the school does more than fight/prevent school shootings. There is more crime/s being committed in our schools. Have we forgotten the increase in bullying? Sex crimes? Drugs? A police officer in the school can investigate and make arrest on these crimes. An armed security guard can not. An armed teacher can not.

· Banned
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Steve in PA said:
My daughter is a school teacher. She is not a gun person. She doesn't hate them, they are just not her thing.

However, I would want her to at least have the option of wanting to carry in the school, if she were comfortable with carrying.

I've typed this several times on many forums, so forgive me it I've already posted this here.

I caught part of an interview with the school nurse from CT. In the interview, she tells how she hid under her desk when the shooting started. The shooter then came into her office and she was able to see his feet and legs. The shooter then left.

If she had been armed, she may have been able to stop any killings that took place when he left.

Very well said Steve!!

· Registered
112 Posts
Z71K9 said:
Billions of dollars spent every year on fire alarms, sprinklers, standpipes, and extinguishers in concrete and steel schools to fight fires. Anyone know the last time in the last 100 years that a child was killed in a school fire?

How many times have we had a school shooting? Answer 70 times since 1974. We need to take safeguarding our children seriously. Police officers in schools. A police officer in the school does more than fight/prevent school shootings. There is more crime/s being committed in our schools. Have we forgotten the increase in bullying? Sex crimes? Drugs? A police officer in the school can investigate and make arrest on these crimes. An armed security guard can not. An armed teacher can not.

I would have no problem with a police officer in the schools!

· Registered
89 Posts
Here is my .02 on this. I posted this in another forum, and it was well received. Bear in mind, this is for MA.. laws in PA might differ a bit, but the principal is the same..
In one High School, there are 50 teachers, aged 24-65, most have tenure,and some even have CCW permits, and their is one School Resource Officer (armed Police Officer). Outside the school, is your regular F/T police dept. This department also has several Reserve Intermittent Officers (RIO), either on patrol, working details, or riding in the cruisers for their yearly qualification hours. The ages range from 23-28. These officers have been sponsored by a police department, and paid $1000.00 to attend a RIO academy for statewide certification, which lasts 4 months (4 hrs /3 days a week and 8 hrs every saturday). Once they graduate they have the same authority and power as the F/T officers but do not work F/T or get paid the same scale. What if 5+ teachers, went to this academy? They could get paid a yearly bonus for attending, and will receive all of the same training and qualifications as the officers do, and have the same powers. They will be familiar with all the students, the building, the School Resource Officer will know them, and they will be available immediately should trouble arise. Male teachers could carry concealed on their person if they wish or their firearm could be secured in a lock box, along with any females that wished to do this. This would be secured in their classroom, along with the Hi-Viz green traffic safety vest. Nobody has to know that the teacher is armed or trained, except for a record kept with the Principal, the School Officer, other certified teachers and the Police Dept. Students or parents don't have to know who is or isn't armed. Nothing will change. When the trouble starts, you will instantly have a minimum of 6 people inside the school ready to act. The threat could be eliminated almost immediately. Now, before they fully understand what is happening, there will be casualties, but not nearly 26. This I understand. But while chaos is reining inside, and the police are called from all points in the town, lives are being taken. Police response could be up to 5 minutes away, and then they have to wait for another officer to arrive in order to enter. In the meantime, the "officers" inside already have neutralized the situation. I am sure that there were several CCW holders at Sandy Hook who wished they had a gun with them. Any action is better than no action. Imagine if the principal had a weapon when she first confronted this guy. It would have been over immediately. He went there expecting to find, and did, unarmed children and adults to harm. One firearm held by a teacher would have ended this quickly and with alot less casualties. The "officers" would know the laws, liability and have the exact same training as the officers on the outside, coming to their rescue. Instead of hiding under desks, waiting to be killed, they could fight back. No sane person, and I use that term loosly, would enter a place to cause others bodily harm, knowing that people inside were armed, and he would be kllled. Ever hear of a police station being shot up? I heard of a few, and it did not end well for the bad guy, and ended rather quickly. They expect to find defenseless children, not trained adults who can shoot back. As far as funding, it costs $1000.00/person to enter the academy. That is minute when you think of the grand sceme of things. Having 5 extra, armed police officers in a school, who are already there working, is a freebie. They are there anyway, why not use them. They would have to go through the same background procedures as Police Officers. If they are tenured, they are already known to the staff, townspeople and most officers. Anyone who is even remotely questionable, would not be considered. For the initial outlay, a 50/50 raffle can be held to offset the academy cost. Donations could be sought, or whatever. Its not that much. 20 teachers is still cheaper than one equipped police car. All they would be required to do is attend the same in-service training and qualifications as the officers do, since they are police officers. Most depts only qualify on the range, once a year, due to budget constraints. Most people I know with CCW permits, shoot almost every weekend, either for fun, or in IPSC or other type matches, and are better shots than the officers.
This again, was just my take on the matter, and being retired Law Enforcement seems like a sound approach for minimal capital outlay. Proposing this 10 yrs ago, or even 5 would have been crazy. But in todays world, it is a very strong possibility. The big point.. they would be academy trained police officers.. same training, liability and knowledge as the officers responding, but already onscene. They would need incentive, so a salary bonus would be practical. Currently in the RIO academy now, is a Surgeon, ER Doctor, ER Nurse and ER Tech. All training to carry on duty with the hospitals knowledge and backing.. Hospital is even paying the $1000.00.. They will also be used to go with the SWAT teams when they are called out to do immediate triage on victims, officers or bad guys. I also know a primary care physician who carrys 24/7, while working or not, under his coat. No one has to know....

· Registered
1,379 Posts
There are armed guards everywhere these days. Hospitals, shopping malls, banks, heck, there's even an armed guard in the grocery store in my community. And there is security in Sheetz I stop at before work in the morning. I don't know if he's armed though.

· Registered
4,388 Posts
cherokee23 said:
I've been thinking that, at the least, schools may need to consider some show of armed security. Not sure to what extent or how it could be funded, but i think knowing that there is even a minimal amount of armed security would deter much of the school shootings. I would rather see this as a first step before arming teachers,
Take all the billions of dollars we are wasting in over seas countries fighting "insurgents" so those folks could have a better quaility of life and use about 20% of that budget and get some folks in these schools who can hold their own against a nut job intruder. THAT'S WHERE YOU GET THE FUNDS.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
I believe that the Kids, even the 6ft 5in. ones they have nowadays, would have a lot more respect or fear of an armed and trained Officer. Not sure if an Armed Teacher would instill fear into a would be bad guy. I also believe that all the Entrances should be fortified. But, this would not stop a nut cause from harming Kids but would maybe make Him think twice about trying it....maybe?

· Registered
313 Posts
That's the sad part about the comments I've heard and read thus far...
"Who's going to pay for a police officer in every school? The NRA?"
It almost seems like a standard response from the antigun crowd.

It seems odd that they are willing to spend HUGE amounts on entitlement programs, yet this proposal is ridiculous because it's too expensive.

The media seems to be ridiculing the NRA for suggesting movies and video games might contribute to desensitizing people to violence. As time goes on, the antigun crowd is getting more brazen and transparent that this incident is merely an opportunity to further their agenda.

We all (well most of us) know/knew this, hopefully as some time passes, the decision makers will come to their senses and see this for what it is. Hopefully there are some rational lawmakers that will counter with productive suggestions rather than feel good appeasements.

I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy. But it sure is starting to smell bad around here. Between this "fiscal cliff", the "sensible gun laws", 1000 page bills that are voted on and passed without being read, etc., etc., it sure is starting to look like an "end run" is being made for "changing this country".

· Banned
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I totally agreed with ALL of LaPierre's statements Friday. They were very well thought out for addressing things at this point.

NRA took full advantage of Friday's opportunity addressing the Nation. The mainstream media was cocked & loaded all ready for the NRA to come out blazing for assult weapons which they were fooled with LaPierre not granting their wishes nor falling for the anti's desires. With the CT funerals ongoing on Friday....not the best time to jump head into a heated confrontation.

I think once things settle down we will see a blend between some schools arming staff plus o/s protection being implemented per our NRA's recommendation.

Obviously, was a very early NRA calculated first step carefully laying out the road in addressing this issue with more to follow....

Seeing such NRA talented leadership at the helm makes me proud to be a NRA Life Member with hopes that such recent events will greatly escalate our Membership base!!

· Registered
30,637 Posts
here in Erie, PA we have school resource officers, they are armed, they are sheriff deputies or police officers NOT some security guard witha gun. they are full fledged police officers

no shootings, no stabbings, no teachers being killed, just a few fist fights every now and then.

school taxes and state grants pay for them...its a good deal

· Banned
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
bohunr said:
here in Erie, PA we have school resource officers, they are armed, they are sheriff deputies or police officers NOT some security guard witha gun. they are full fledged police officers

no shootings, no stabbings, no teachers being killed, just a few fist fights every now and then.

bohunr, sounds like your school district is ahead of the times!! My hat's off to them!!

· Registered
5,564 Posts
Look at the simple thing they did with airplanes since 911. I remember 4 months prior flying to Wichita for a shriner convention on my connection flight i sat right exact the pilot and co pilot. I was close enough to read his altimider. Now a commercial airline all sizes are fortified to cock pit. Think we could do something to the schools.

· Banned
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
outofstater said:
Look at the simple thing they did with airplanes since 911. I remember 4 months prior flying to Wichita for a shriner convention on my connection flight i sat right exact the pilot and co pilot. I was close enough to read his altimider. Now a commercial airline all sizes are fortified to cock pit. Think we could do something to the schools.

YUP...whut was done in the airline industry sure has curtailed problems there.

· Registered
2,548 Posts
bohunr said:

I hope more schools do this.

· Registered
7,595 Posts
That's the sad part about the comments I've heard and read thus far...
"Who's going to pay for a police officer in every school? The NRA?"
It almost seems like a standard response from the antigun crowd.
We should make them aware that this idea of expanded funding for armed officers in schools was first advocated and FUNDED by Bill Clinton in 2000.

It's already part of what the federal guvmn't spends $$$ on. All the NRA is doing is saying it's a good idea and supporting it.

But to listen to the news and to anti-gun zealots, they look at this like it's some new and outrageous plan. It's not. It's advocacy of a plan already endorsed, put into law and funded by Bill Clinton.

I think the NRA would do itself (and all gun owners) a big favor by making this point crystal clear.

BH

· Registered
240 Posts
I have spoken to a few people at work about this - a way to better protect schools and the kids. The same thoughts here were discussed - concealed carry teachers, armed security, etc. It doesn't seem like there's a perfect answer - but one that I thought of...how about a locked, secured firearm(s) where a select few (trained) members of staff have access to the weapon(s)? An argument can always be found against any posed solution. There may not be a perfect solution, but there must be a best solution.

Here's the problem - what happens when the schools are protected? The cowards will take to other public places where people are unprotected. I guess in states like PA, the carrying public can assist - but not in the "may issue" states.

· Registered
2,072 Posts
makeitcount said:
I have spoken to a few people at work about this - a way to better protect schools and the kids. The same thoughts here were discussed - concealed carry teachers, armed security, etc. It doesn't seem like there's a perfect answer - but one that I thought of...how about a locked, secured firearm(s) where a select few (trained) members of staff have access to the weapon(s)? An argument can always be found against any posed solution. There may not be a perfect solution, but there must be a best solution.

Here's the problem - what happens when the schools are protected? The cowards will take to other public places where people are unprotected. I guess in states like PA, the carrying public can assist - but not in the "may issue" states.
Sadly , we will go through this process all over again . The anti's will never admit more armed law abiding citizens = less crime . Common sence is not one of the anti's virtues .

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.