The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One school Admin in Texas has went that route(see video clip below). My Mrs being a teacher based upon how she handles shooting my 9 & 45acp at the range...well put it this way not sure if id wanna be in the school when she cuts loose. She's one that would definitely need the additional training referred to in the below video clip. It's certainly a more viable option though I hope is surfaced vs more staunch gun control.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-school-guardian-plan-allows-teachers-guns-174238129.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been thinking that, at the least, schools may need to consider some show of armed security. Not sure to what extent or how it could be funded, but i think knowing that there is even a minimal amount of armed security would deter much of the school shootings. I would rather see this as a first step before arming teachers,

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
We have plenty of retired State troopers, retired local leo's, and retired military in Pa. They should be hired as part time employees. They already know the laws and know how to handle people in stressfull situations, give them some updated training and put them in the schools. I will take a slight bump in my school taxes for that. Or better yet cut one of the non-necessary entitlement programs and use the money to fund it, its a win win.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
put a pair of these in each school full time.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
I work in a school and would support this.

I am not sure schools themselves would support ANY armed presence, however...much less allowance of an employee to carry a firearm.

I would be in favor of any plan that involved safe/trained/armed responders on site. I feel it is the ONLY way we will ever have a hope of stopping this when it happens, and it will happen again. I have no doubt.

I have looked at my office, the corridor, etc as I just changed jobs a month ago and I'm not as "aware" of the facilities as I was in my previous position, obviously. I want to know my options should something like this occur where I am at, and also know who I am able to help in that instance as well. The scope of my position is district wide, so I will be taking note of such things as I get around in the various areas of the district. I can only hope my reactions to a shooter, should it ever be necessary, are as unflinching and courageous as the professionals in the CT school.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Many schools said that about armed resource officers...and now some places have them.
Times are changing and so must some of our archaic educational views.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
A solution that solves two problems.

First. Hire a trained, armed, security team for each school.

Second. Pay for it by making teachers contribute to their own retirements like most of us and contribute more to their health insurance.

Both are positives that can be accomplished without raising taxes on the parents of these kids while at the same time allowing better protection of our schools.

·
Registered
763 Posts
dpms How in the world does your second solution have anything to do with this. You trying to stir the pot yet again.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Really, you are going to turn this in to a teacher bashing thread. Teachers do contribute to their retirement for the record.

·
Registered
669 Posts
"Second. Pay for it by making teachers contribute to their own retirements like most of us and contribute more to their health insurance." by dpms.....
Yes, John, they do....and if dpms feels their pensions, pay, workday, etc, is out of line, I encourage him/her to go to college, earn the degree, "become" a teacher, and live the dream

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John S said:
Really, you are going to turn this in to a teacher bashing thread. Teachers do contribute to their retirement for the record.
Amen John...very disappointing especially coming from dpms!

Hope all can get back on topic!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LCLrutnut said:
I've said that for years now....ARM THEM! Then let some coward try

Maybe offer an option to teacher if they went through an xtra firearms competence/safety training course they would be offered a lil up in their salary(like being a sports coach etc). Would be a lot cheaper vs bringing in o/s services if such were properly implemented.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cherokee23 said:
I've been thinking that, at the least, schools may need to consider some show of armed security. Not sure to what extent or how it could be funded, but i think knowing that there is even a minimal amount of armed security would deter much of the school shootings. I would rather see this as a first step before arming teachers,
It would be optional similar to program offered to airline pilots..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Loggy....I think teachers have enough on their plate already. This visible, armed security presence needs to have one duty and purpose.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I am sure there are a few teachers in every school that has a CCW or would be willing to get one. Teachers must pass a strict background check as it is so obtaining a CCW would not be a problem. Any teacher willing to carry concealed in school should be required to take a self-defense class that includes handgun training. The districts could reimburse for the class once completed. Plans could be made for emergencies. No in school SWAT team, just teachers that are licensed and capable of defending themselves and students would be a terrific deterrent for the cowards that prey on the defenseless.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts