The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am all for the use of semi auto rifles for hunting. with that being said i started this post to ask one question and to understand the views of others and to not muddy up the other posts. lets keep the name calling out of this, personal opinions are as welcome as fact based statements, when citing facts please provide a link to the info if possible.

Thank You

QUESTION:

What is your argument against the use of Semi Auto rifles for hunting / hunting big game ?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I am for the use of semi auto,however I can see where some hunters may abuse the use of them. Primarily the "spray and pray " hunter that unloads the magazine at a running animal. I hope that this is an extreme minority .Not much different than some lever gun hunters I hear sometimes in the woods shooting multiple rounds( more than 2-3) in quick succession.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My case against is this:

The vast majority of semi auto rifles out there are chambered in 5.56/.223. While I do believe that there are people who ethically and successfully hunt with the .223 caliber, my fear is that anyone with an SA .223 will now think that they should deer hunt with it, because they legally can. Most factory ammunition for .223 is ideal for varmints, not deer/bear. I think this will lead to more non-fatally injured animals, or more animals that are mortally wounded, but run off and are not found. Just my .02. Thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My case against is this:

The vast majority of semi auto rifles out there are chambered in 5.56/.223. While I do believe that there are people who ethically and successfully hunt with the .223 caliber, my fear is that anyone with an SA .223 will now think that they should deer hunt with it, because they legally can. Most factory ammunition for .223 is ideal for varmints, not deer/bear. I think this will lead to more non-fatally injured animals, or more animals that are mortally wounded, but run off and are not found. Just my .02. Thanks
This right here is the only argument against it that logically makes sense.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
That is the biggest reason why I support the idea of and hope that they enact a caliber restriction for big game animals.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I plan on hunting with either my .300 AAC Blackout upper or a new LR308 build I'm starting. Ballistically .300 AAC is similar to 7.62x39 or 30-30. It really shines when used with a sound suppressor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
a suppressor does not make any caliber "shine" any more than a scope does. For a suppressor to truly shine the caliber must be loaded to subsonic velocities. Then in my opinion is not truly a big game load. No way comparable to a 30-30 or 308.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I'm torn on the idea. I anticipate problems with people firing risky/careless follow-up shots. I also see it as unnecessary since animals can be taken just as well with manual weapons.

On the flip side, I tend to favor less goverment regulation and hunters being trusted to exercise good sense. A couple idiots could ruin it for everyone (or harm or kill someone) so I hope everybody exercises good judgement. That is true of any firearm though. I am pretty much on the fence.

One reason that I think (conspiracy theory warning) there is a push to legalize semi-autos for hunting is to normalize them in people's minds and further blur the definition of an assault rifle. It could further a gun rights agenda to be able to point out that AR-15s, etc., are common hunting rifles. There may be a benefit to that. There is also a risk, though, that it negatively affects public perception of hunters when they are seen carrying "machine guns."

It's a tough call either way in my opinion. However, in my mind, a tie should go to less restriction. If there is no compelling reason to preclude it, a free country should allow it.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My case against is this:

your .02 cents are always welcome and thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
There are numerous semi-auto rifles chambered in hunting cartridges. Take a look at the Browning BARs, for example. If the law passes, I might buy a BAR.

I hunt in Vermont every year (semi-autos are legal) and have never taken my At-15 into the deer woods because I know I will do better with my .30-06. Some people would do it but most serious hunters will choose a proper cartridge (or at least a good bullet for the 5.56/.223 like a Barnes TTSX).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Bar is the way to go it looks just like a rifle, not a assault weapon that the media has burned into the heads of millions. The bottom line is there has to b a happy medium on cal. I understand bothe sides on the big game regs what a bunch of ppl are not thinking about is night predator hunting with a semi with fmj is just on the crazy side.
I have listened to the guy say fmj for facing fur OK but fur is not worth a dollar, my fear is 6 rapid shots at a running yote at might, what's behind it ? House, barm, equipment a person!!!!! Not a good idea at night my .02 thank u

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
I don't give a hoot either way, as I don't own any and don't have any plans to purchase soon. The biggest safety consideration to me is not careless shooting just because you have a full clip. The fact the the gun reloads itself, and is ready to fire again after each shot, could pose a problem if one wouldn't remember to move the safety to the on position. You automatically end up with a loaded weapon, with the safety off. I'm always conscious of that fact when I turkey hunt with my semi shotgun. Familiarity and practice with one's weapon mitigates this problem. Unfortunately, a high percentage of hunters don't handle their deer rifle other than to check their sights one afternoon after Thanksgiving. One plus for semi rifle use .....it allows a handicapped hunter who might have limited or no use of an arm ( stroke, amputees, etc. ) to get a follow up shot.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Bar is the way to go it looks just like a rifle, not a assault weapon that the media has burned into the heads of millions. The bottom line is there has to b a happy medium on cal. I understand bothe sides on the big game regs what a bunch of ppl are not thinking about is night predator hunting with a semi with fmj is just on the crazy side.
I have listened to the guy say fmj for facing fur OK but fur is not worth a dollar, my fear is 6 rapid shots at a running yote at might, what's behind it ? House, barm, equipment a person!!!!! Not a good idea at night my .02 thank u
Yeah, I have the same concern but a reckless hunter could do plenty of damage with a bolt action too. My inclination is to trust people to use their heads. If they don't, drop the hammer.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
There are numerous semi-auto rifles chambered in hunting cartridges. Take a look at the Browning BARs, for example. If the law passes, I might buy a BAR.

I hunt in Vermont every year (semi-autos are legal) and have never taken my At-15 into the deer woods because I know I will do better with my .30-06. Some people would do it but most serious hunters will choose a proper cartridge (or at least a good bullet for the 5.56/.223 like a Barnes TTSX).
Oh I know. I have 4 AR 15s and I wouldn't think about using them for deer. I have 2 Garands as well that I probably won't ever take out due to the commercial 30-06 ammo not being Garand friendly. I'd rather not deal with a bent op rod.

My main hunting rifle right now is a savage 99f chambered in .300 savage. I've been looking for an excuse to get a new hunting rifle just in case a lead ammo ban ever came about. I don't think anyone will manufacture .300 savage.

However, an AR10 build might be in order. I think .308 is a safe bet to be manufactured as a lead free round. I guess I will wait and see what the PGC does.

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
The older I get, the less I care about what anyone else is doing. If you want to use one, then go for it. If you don't want to use one, then don't. Just give me my license and let me go hunting. I'll do what makes me happy.
Could be my personal favorite HPA post.......ever.

Oh I know. I have 4 AR 15s and I wouldn't think about using them for deer. I have 2 Garands as well that I probably won't ever take out due to the commercial 30-06 ammo not being Garand friendly. I'd rather not deal with a bent op rod.

My main hunting rifle right now is a savage 99f chambered in .300 savage. I've been looking for an excuse to get a new hunting rifle just in case a lead ammo ban ever came about. I don't think anyone will manufacture .300 savage.

However, an AR10 build might be in order. I think .308 is a safe bet to be manufactured as a lead free round. I guess I will wait and see what the PGC does.

If you handload or know someone who can do so for you, the Hornady manual offers M1 reloading data that is op-rod friendly. Or you can get a Schuster gas cylinder plug and run factory ammo as you see fit. Just some ideas. :)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Ballistically .300 AAC is similar to 7.62x39 or 30-30. It really shines when used with a sound suppressor.
The suppressor is needed to add that extra compression for it to actually cycle reliably. I don't think it's a solid deer round. It was designed to have 45 ACP power out of a quiet AR.

For the spray and pray argument, I'd rather them do that with a semi than a pump. At least the burst will be over sooner and cover a smaller area than the pump. :)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hmmm, where are the droves of anti semi folks from the other thread? :anim eye:

Reactions: outofstater
1 - 20 of 314 Posts