·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Argo...Is not even close to atv or utv. If anything, maybe John deere Gator?

Atv is one person most of the time, Utv is two or more. Utv is taking the rank of late. Both will go thru mud, haul wood, ect. Most are work horses.

The argo from what I know is all the above, then some, but half the speed and harder to get thru trails, width is alot wider.
You want a Jeep,hummer or tank?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Had an outfitter in Newfoundand that used Argos with tracks on them. Did not tear up the ground, but it probably is not something you would want to ride in for hours. Pretty stiff ride if I remember. He just used them for game retrieval.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have had all 3. The argo is slow and no suspension makes for a rough ride. You won't be able to ride with your buddies on atv or utv. Around camp for just goofing around is awesome, there is also a decent size creek/river that I would float in. Can't do that with an atv or utv.

utv's have their place, depends on what you want to accomplish.

I just recently went back to an atv because I missed what it offered. To be specific I like 4wd atvs

I like riding fast trails, technical trails and big hills. The utv was fun but not as fun as what a big bore 4wd quad gives me.

·
Registered
21,260 Posts
Everyone I know who has a UTV claims they'd never go back to an ATV.I've always owned ATV's and for some reason have no desire to buy a UTV.It's hard for me to justify spending close to 20k on one.I just bought an 04 lifted wrangler in nice shape for 9k.I can legally ride it to where I'm going 4 wheeling and it fits on some pretty tight trails.My daughter pretty much took it over so I never hardly use it but that's life I guess.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
I've had ATVs, a UTV, a Coot and I used my buddy's Argo frequently.

The Argo and the Coot were amphibious but neither were something I would take fishing. They were OK for crossing small bodies of water. The Coot could go just about anywhere. The Argo was limited by ground clearance.

My preference is the ATV or UTV. If I had one it would be a UTV. I use my UTV for work and recreation. I hardly use the ATV now because it does not have the utility of the UTV.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
How do you even pick up a moose let alone 2 in the bush and get it on the back?

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Wald Jager said:
How do you even pick up a moose let alone 2 in the bush and get it on the back?
it can be tough. There were 3 seasons where we scored on two bulls on the same day. You cut the moose in half, loading the rear section, the lightest part into the Argo first. You can throw the winch cable over the roof and help pull up the front half. Two hunters and guide . Second moose is tough....a lot of tugging and pulling. We shot two in 2012 on the first day, 21 miles from the truck and trailer. That a long ride in low range. Here's another pic from 2009...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts