The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a good freind of mine and he said this area was opened last year, after being closed a long time. Anyone have any infomation about the area for grouse?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That is at Scotia Range isn't it? If it is it is open for grouse hunting. Had the squirrel dogs out there and flushed one. Probably gets a lot of pressure from the folks that used to train their birddogs there. LOTS of ticks there when it is warm enough for them to be out and I mean they looked like pepper on my pantlegs.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have hunted the place twice. The combined hours hunted was 12. Three shots have been fired by partners I was hunting with. No birds were harmed during these hunts. We used English Setters, English pointers, and one French Brit. The place has birds, but does not give them up easily. Good luck

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My view of it is, good amount of birds but they aren’t as easy to find and handle on most days as it may seem. Lots of people hunting, jogging, hiking, riding bikes, bird watching and anything else you can think of and last but not least lots of ticks. This is not to discourage you but more to make you aware of all the other stuff that in the area. My guess is it’s just like most other GL’s in a high population of people. Good luck

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I used to do grouse flushing surveys there when I was going to school at Penn State. I put a lot of miles on my boots on that SGL. Have not been back since I graduated college well before they opened it back up to grouse hunting. I can say if you know where to go, there are plenty of birds and you can get away from the "city folk".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts