The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering who has a particular gobbler that they are going after this spring.
I have one that I am hoping for, but have any one of three that I would take. I bought the second tag. First tag is for any of these three. The second tag is only for the real big boy of the group.
I have been watching these gobblers since around January. They roost spread out on the same hillside and go one of two ways when they fly down. All of them are 20+ pounders, 10+ inch beards and have good spurs. The big boy has around an 11-12" beard and it is thick like a paint brush. Really good hooks on him-looks like he's wearing spurs when he's walking away from you. Easy to ID him as he's missing a tail feather and just looks kinda beat up in general. But boy is he a whopper.

Who is targeting a specific gobbler?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am also been watching him for about a month now. he's probably got a 10-11 inch beard. He's running around with 3 jakes. i was mushroom hunting in the same area this past week and he gobbled 9 times at 2 in the afternoon to a song bird on the ridge. i sat down as i heard him working up the ridge and i got him on video on my phone. coolest thing ever!

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
We had five jakes sporting 1 in beards cross 5 yrds in front of the truck this eve. My boy has his sights on any legal bird.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Yes, the same one that duped me last year all season

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I can only hope that the big, fat, arrogant, lucky (and smarter than me) son of a gun that lives in my little honey hole makes it through this spring. I would love to get another crack at him next year

I couldnt kill him.... but instead I outfox his leettle brudder.... I keel heem instead...eeeeh eeeehh eeeehhhhhhh

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I got a couple longbeards located in Ohio and Pa. I hope to whack the first two year old or better this Monday in Ohio with my bow.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive had a gobbler.. assuming the same 1.. hes gotten a bit bigger every year.. ive passed on him twice.. should be a 3 or 4 yr old this year... same spot every year!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hello all,
First time I have posted in the turkey section. I'm targeting a specific bird too. Well, we have several nice birds, but this one has a double bread and is the king kong of the farm we hunt. I have seen him all early spring/late winter. I hope to put a bead on him. Also I'm going to use my bow as well. without a blind.

·
Super Moderator
12,815 Posts
I do very little Spring Gobbler scouting anymore; however, I spend a lot of time in the woods and I have seen several heavy body long beards. I try to go where I think there will be no one else the first few days and first two Saturdays then go to the busier places during the week.

Some years I have driven around to see where no hunters went the first day and I go there the next hunting day or two. I would rather do that than run into hunters in the woods. We all know what happen when a gobbler sounds off and there are four hunters in the area...there will be 4 people headed to that location.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yes, I am targeting that big,dumb and lovestruck gobbler. The dumber the better!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
After today's scouting trip, I'm zeroing in on a few for the junior I am taking out this weekend, and a couple more for me next week! They were everywhere today!

·
6,450 Posts
I have too many on my list so ill answer no. there are big gobblers almost everywhere.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
1. the king of the gasline
2. swamp ghost
3. old joe

4. if the above three fail, any jake that walks into my arrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts