The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trappers, lt's less than 100 days until season! 96 to be exact, but who's counting!! Lol!

I am for the most part, ready to rock and roll, other than boiling and waxing traps. I have knocked on a lot of farmers doors over the past couple months and have been doing a bunch of scouting on a few days when I am home.

You guys ready to go? What have you been up to?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
trapping now! i shot a red carrying one of my hens last week. male. i think the vixen is now having fun. trail of feathers from the coop this morning. put a 1x6 on the chain link door to narrow it down, set a snare to cover it. about 10ft out from the door, set a mb450 with urine, covered with dry grass. at 8.00pm hen a hen in the mb.had to release and reset. just enough grass left for a redo. 8.10 i find my dog in the mb! release and reset, gotta get more grass. story of my life!now its raining like crazy! but we need it!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did make up two dozen new cable stakes too. After some years of use, those 3/32 cables get weak.
BigB did you end up going to bigger diameter cable stakes?

I might have to change my anchors for the future seasons. I use duckbills and no one has them. I talked to the guys running the FnT booth and they said that they manufacture wont give them a awnser if there going to continue making them. I might be looking for different style of anchors. They said just keep checking the website to see if they have them in stock. I am good for this year but will be looking to change for up coming seasons.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trapping now! i shot a red carrying one of my hens last week. male. i think the vixen is now having fun. trail of feathers from the coop this morning. put a 1x6 on the chain link door to narrow it down, set a snare to cover it. about 10ft out from the door, set a mb450 with urine, covered with dry grass. at 8.00pm hen a hen in the mb.had to release and reset. just enough grass left for a redo. 8.10 i find my dog in the mb! release and reset, gotta get more grass. story of my life!now its raining like crazy! but we need it!
Cooncrazy, sounds like a crazy time at the chicken coop!! Do not let him get the best of you!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,150 Posts
BigB did you end up going to bigger diameter cable stakes?

I might have to change my anchors for the future seasons. I use duckbills and no one has them. I talked to the guys running the FnT booth and they said that they manufacture wont give them a awnser if there going to continue making them. I might be looking for different style of anchors. They said just keep checking the website to see if they have them in stock. I am good for this year but will be looking to change for up coming seasons.
Yes LB, I used 1/8”. I had some kinked 10 foot 1/8 “ beaver sliders that I chopped up. I keep a couple sizes of aluminum ferrules on hand.
I did get 8 buckets of soil sifted, need to wax. I gathered up 3 bushel baskets of dry grass clippings too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Might give trapping a brake and focus on hunting and fishing this fall. Been so busy with work I haven’t had anytime to prep for trapping.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 113 Posts