The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am,but not like i use to be? At one time i felt bad for some folks and would help them as much as possible. I'd say it was from my church up bringing in a rural area? At this time in my life i am down to 10%,from 90,on my compassion scale!
What has done this? Well,let me tell you and see if things like this have ever happened to you?
For example: In the late 70's,i raised Beagles for Field trials and mostly for hunting dogs.A guy up the road from me hunted a dog also. It was an all right dog but no hard hunter. I ask him if he wanted to go hunting the next day? He tells me "My dog got hit by a car and killed!"
I thought it over and i had more dogs than i needed,to hunt with. The next day i called him and invited him to go with me on a hunt. He says yes. I took my favorite hound and one very good gun broke young one along!The dogs did well bouncing rabbits and flushing Ringnecks!
at the end of the hunt i said to him,when we got home"If you like that young dog you can have him!" He took it and put it into his pen and that was that? All my stock were AKC Registered.
The next week end i call him and say"You want to take the dogs out for a hunt in the morning?"
His reply"I don't have it anymore!" "What happened?" i ask him. Can you believe this,he says"I SOLD IT AND THE GUYS WANTS THE PAPERS FOR IT!!!!!!"
There have been other incidents,since then,like:3 years ago,ammo was a little hard to get and a young fellow.this call him a semi-family member,had no shells for his 30-30 and no money. I found some on line and ordered him a box. I gave them to him! Did i get a thank you??Nope!They were a brand new box of Winchesters!!!!
I do a lot of hand loading but only for myself and my boys?I will not load for anyone else.
After the first week end of deer season,he telling guys my shells are no good and 2,yes 2 of them never fired and he missed a deer????? Of which i didn't care what he was saying until he just wouldn't shut up? I got a hold of him and got it thru his head,A,these were new factory shells and B,i gave them to you!
I did get the ones that didn't fire,from him and pulled them down? Of all the things iv'e come upon.i'd never seen the likes of it? The flash holes were not punched clear thru the primer pockets.
Things such as this ever happened to yourself?

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
As for the dog situation, I understand your displeasure at him selling it but once a gift is given it no longer belongs to the person who gave it. It belongs to the person it was given to. That person can do with as he/she pleases.

The young fellow sounds like an ingrate. That's his problem.

You shouldn't let the actions of a few diminish your compassion toward others.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yes I'm very compassionate. I've helped some ingrates but far more have grateful . I try to sniff the ingrates out ahead of time now. I get more enjoyment out of helping others than in anything I do for myself and I'll never quit but I try to weed out the spoiled brats up front.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
When we first bought our cabin a young boy down the road befriended us. The family was hurting the father a drunk and all the rest.I would take him small game hunting and the only gun he had he had to share. All he talked about was that he wanted a 12 ga.I came home and bought him a used single shot 12 ga.Short time later he sold it to buy gas for his dirt bike, sure I felt a little bad, then he broke into my shed to steal gas for his bike,then he broke into my cabin and stole a tanned fox hide I had which he often admired and told me it was worth allot of money.Many other things happened and he was caught by a neighbor stealing gas from him and when the neighbor confronted him he attacked the neighbor with a rock. The neighbor had a CC and a gun and held him for the police. He was arrested and got the choice jail or the service.He was sent to Fort Dix, he bought a fast car and shortly after hit a bridge and was killed. Never would wish anything like that on people but that was KARMA. Sorry, I didn't feel bad.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,dc21,people have changed me. I no longer give things to people other than my family.The only compassion,i have now days,are for little kids who have to be with a hole parents!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'd say fairly compassionate I won't go out of my way too much for strangers, will do food drives, donate to causes when I can and do random acts of kindness. There was an org. that started doing "wish hunts" on a piece of City property(off limits to normal hunting)near me. They did 1 season before I found out about them I was fixing to volunteer my services for fishing and waterfowl hunts but sadly the Director shut it down for some reason. People I know will get the shirt of my back even in Feburary !!

Two things that kind of "got my goat" 1) the local Boyscouts did a food drive a few years ago(only one). I bagged up some stuff and sat it out - they never picked up. I took my bag and 2 neighbors bags over to the Scout HQ. They refused them claiming they had no way to get them to the food bank ??? Fortunately there was another customer there who said she would take them and drop them off. The PO does a similar food drive yearly - yet they A) have no problem picking up B) when I missed Pick-Up they still took the items(mail lady was early that day LOL) at the local PO.

2) One of my "random acts" is to straighten out the shopping carts in the return spaces - well one of the at the cart boys at the grocery store is special needs(there are others kids) and he caught me - told me that was his job! (I understand his pride in his job, but I do it everywhere and I hate lazy people who can't take 10 seconds and stack their carts instead of pushing them in all helter skelter)

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
"2) One of my "random acts" is to straighten out the shopping carts in the return spaces - well one of the at the cart boys at the grocery store is special needs(there are others kids) and he caught me - told me that was his job! (I understand his pride in his job, but I do it everywhere and I hate lazy people who can't take 10 seconds and stack their carts instead of pushing them in all helter skelter)"

What about the ones who are too lazy to take them to the cart return and just leave them at the parking space?

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
I'm not as giving as I used to be. Loaned $1,500 to a lady to help pay some of her bills, including rent, said pay me back when you can, never saw a penny of it. A buddy actually smashed his car up on the way to his stag party, I took him to the hospital. His car needed front end work and a new engine, I gave him $1,200.00, said pay me when you can, never saw a penny. Dating a girl who had a daughter, she never received any spousal support. The daughter wanted some kind of expensive computer game for Christmas. My girlfriend was just a waitress and didn't make much money, so I gave her the $165.00 for the game just so her daughter could have a happy Christmas. Right before the holiday she dumped me! Had a buddy whose 15 year old daughter finally decided to go hunting with him. He wanted a 243 for her and knew I had one. It was a Winchester Model 88 in 243 which is kinda of rare to find. Told him $800.00 for it which was way below it's value; he said it was to much for him at the time. So I said ok, I'll sell it to you for $400.00 just because you're a good friend and his daughter was a good girl. Only thing I said, if for some reason she doesn't like he has to sell it back to me, he agreed. Hunting came and went and I didn't hear from him about how things went with his new hunting companion. Saw him acouple months later and asked about everything. Said his daughter changed her mind and he sold the Winchester to a collector for $1,100.00. The list goes on and on. But I still give to fire companies, veterans; the local church ,somebody needs help with a construction project I'll help. Oh yeah, I think The only person who really ever appreciated something was a guy I met in New Brunswick when I went up every spring to hunt bear. HJe came from a very poor family and was alittle slow, but still a good friend. He never had a rifle of his own, and therefore missed out on a lot of hunting. So one day I took him to the local gun shop and bought him a brand new Remington 742 30-06 off the rack. When we got outside he cried he was so happy!!

·
Registered
20,255 Posts
I do for people what I can and make sure I make clear what is a gift and what is a loan.
Even family can be the ones who burn you so just because its a brother/daughter/in-law is no guarantee you will get your things back.
Best policy is if you cant afford to replace it or it has sentimental value don't give it out.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
As a retired business owner, it seemed like every week there was someone in my office looking for me to sponsor something.
After a while, it got old, and we picked about 6 or 7 things we donated to or sponsored each year.
Still have compassion if I know the people who are in need. Local fire dept has a member, a great guy, who is having health issues. They held a benefit diner for him a week ago. I could not make the diner, but swung by fire hall and tossed fifty bucks in jar.

Most memorable time I got burned. Local lazy bum, single dad had partial custody of his two young boys.they didn't have squat, and Christmas was coming, and I knew the two young boys would probably not get anything.
I bought them 2 bikes and helmets. Gave them to the dad the day before Christmas, and told him to tell the kids they were from Santa.
Never heard from the dad again, and never saw the boys riding their new bikes. Still think the dad sold them, but as someone said earlier, you can try and do the right thing, it doesn't always end as intended.

For the most part these days, if it is a local deal, and I feel confident the money goes where intended, I will contribute...........but won't contribute to the large organizations with CEOs making a million bucks to run a charity.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Whether or not I am compassionate is a situational thing for me. If someone really needs help with something, and I am able to, then I have no problem doing so.
In general though, I think the entire country has gotten to such a sense of entitlement, and expecting someone to always be there to bail them out no matter how stupid of a thing they do, that it is much harder to be truly compassionate at times.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
I hear a near constant whine of people who were stiffed when trying to help out a person. Lent money, let them borrow a car to go to a job interview etc. Felt sorry and let the lady move in when her hubby beat her up and then she never ever leaves. I have filed evictions for people trying to oust their grown kids or other relatives and undesireable guests.

I am also President of our local Lion's Club. We raise money just to give it away. We give a partial college scholarship every year, we help support a summer camp for the visually impaired, we donate to poor families in the area during the winter, donate to vision programs at senior centers, to youth programs and to assist many programs for the blind. Last week the club received a letter from a charity that said we were selected to donate the sum of $4,000 to that charity. The Lions' club was unanimous in turning the request down.. Figured it was mighty [censored] to tell us how much to donate. If a family in the township suffers a house fire, we will provide a couple store cards to help with clothes, etc. Mostly we try to do things for the good of our community.

We get requests for funds almost weekly, while there is soo much need, we sort through and help where we can and where we feel we can do the most good.

·
Registered
20,255 Posts
Hey, start out big and negotiate backwards

My wife and I get calls all the time from colleges asking for funds and they never start at less then 500 bucks.
I like when they get to the part about the wonderful education they gave us or the kids. Kind of funny, I still have all the canceled checks to prove we paid every dime
yet we still send them money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.