The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been kinda slow on here so I thought I'd try to fire up some discussion.

I am definitely a traditionalist when it comes to rifle cartridges. My current rifle that I use the most is a .300 savage M99. I usually shoot 165 grain Hornady Interlocks at 2600 fps and have no problems. I've taken game out to 200 yards with this combo and believe I could out to 300 yards. I'm gonna test that next fall when I go to Wyoming for antelope. All I've shot with it so far are some deer and a black bear. But the next time I hunt caribou or moose I am taking it then too. Probably will jump to 180 grain bullets for the moose.
I have never seen the need for those big cavernous cases that belch out hypervelocity bullets. I don't do any "long range" hunting so have no need for it. I much prefer to sneak around the woods or sit on stand for my hunting so the majority of my shots are 50 - 75 yards.
Are you a modern or traditionalist rifleman and why???

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Since I have put on some age I am going back to traditional calibers. I want to try and use my .257 and also a .270 or 06 this deer season.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Like my user name, I love my 44-40 it's a reproduction, but I love the reaction it gets when you tell people what your shooting at the range. If I don't use that, I'm sporting an M44 Mossin Nagant...kills at one end and cripples at the other, lol. Iron sights of course. I've never shot a deer beyond 30 yards, so they seem fit for the job.

I may break the habit this year by using a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel.

I could use a variety of "modern cartridges", but I seem to fall back on those two.

Now if we're talking varmit, I have a custom .223 and .22-250 that wear 6x24x50's that I like to ring the gong with at the Saint Marys sporstsmans club with.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I partake in both disciplines with equal enthusiasm. Don't like to limit my experiences to one school or the other.

I have an 1873 Trapdoor. I have an accurized Model 70 S/S 7mm STW with a 6-20 power scope on it and I have some stuff in between. Love shooting and hunting them all.

I do have a soft spot in my heart, though, for anything that burns 80 or 90 or 100 grains of smokeless or more at a crack.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'll use both.
I've burnt enough powder in my mags to know what they are capable of but I don't always like the recoil. I do have a few of them with muzzlebreaks which I believe in. But I like to explore other cartridges. I've used 222 to 338mags for deer but keep coming back to the 7mm line. I love my 7mm mauser for deer and even the 6mm too. My 7-30 waters in a contender was a deer killing machine. To me, it's all about the bullet,not the caliber.

Big D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Traditionalist, I'm going to use my 1899's in 38-55, 32-40, and 25-35 this year. All of my other rifle killed deer have been shot with a .300 Savage or good old 30-06. I live in Bucks County and have killed a ton of deer with slugs and buckshot. I'm planning on loading up some solid brass cases with 00 Buck and black powder and using my 1870's vintage W&C Scott 10 gauge SXS. It sure puts the fun back in doe hunting!

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
Both, but tending more towards how I started out over 50 years ago. My first deer rifle was a 1920s vintage M94, still have it.

Went to a M700 25-06 in the late 70s, still have that one too and it's what I took my deer with last season, but I now primarily use old rifles w/iron sights for doe. Mostly lever rifles in 35 Rem., 32 Spl., 38-40 or 44 mag.

Older I get, more I like hunting with old rifles.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I picked up a cherry enfield this year around new years. All matching numbers accept the mag. Its a no4 and the chamber and rifling is good in it. I plan on using handloads shooting 150 gr interlocks. If i get my buck in archery i plan on using this in rifle season for doe.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
would it make you jealous if I told you I picked it up for 200 bux? it came with two boxes of rem corelokt ammo and a bayonet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
AWESOME SMLE!!! I was lucky enough to get a doe with mine a few years ago. it was a bang flop! dont let people say they dont shoot mine is in very great shape and shoots exclent! nice rifle

·
Registered
397 Posts
For muzzle loading i am by far a traditionalist. i like iron sight flint and round [censored]. i have no place in my heart for fiber optic sights or in lines
now for varmint hunting and competitive shooting i love technology it helps me compete or make better decisions on how to shoot varmint or big game and further ranges

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just what is a traditional rifleman? They used scopes on rifles over 100 years ago. The 30-06 has been around since 1906, over 100 years ago. Are you talking about early calibers, open or apeture sights only?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I think he is talking about a classic blued barrel walnut stocked rifle. Compared to the new stainless and synthetic guns that are the rage

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I guess I am traditional then. I hate synthetic stocks and ss barrels and actions.

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
But, have you adapted to smokeless powder yet?

I prefer blued steel and walnut, but do have a few SS/Syn or laminated combos in the pile. None of 'em get as much attention as the old ones, though.

I've been to known to spend a bit too much time admiring some of my cherished "seasoned" firearms while sitting under a hemlock and actually almost missed a whack at a passing buck, many years ago. Almost, but not quite.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts