1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Nope! Looks like a Jack-o-latern(Omphalotus illudens) folks claim these things will actually glow in the dark..then again folks claim a lot of weird stuff ....more than likely make you very sick if you eat one....try to also post pictures of the bottom side of your finds.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
no don't eat them they are Jack O Lanterns and it will cause severe gastric upset!!!! Golden Chanterelle grow on the ground.. Jack O Lanterns grow on wood..Once you know the two you know right off what they are.. However stick to Golden Chanterelle that are found on the forest floor..

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
uncle buck said:
no don't eat them they are Jack O Lanterns and it will cause severe gastric upset!!!! Golden Chanterelle grow on the ground.. Jack O Lanterns grow on wood..Once you know the two you know right off what they are.. However stick to Golden Chanterelle that are found on the forest floor..
Like I mentioned before, folks and field guides claim some weird stuff....these are definitely jack-o-laterns are they are definitely growing on the forest floor...

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
Although these Jacks appear to be growing on the forest floor, they are probably growing off the root system of an old tree. Is that a tree stump there in the picture?

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uncle buck said:

I just wondered because someone told me if I see orange mushrooms in the woods pick them for him. He never said what kind or anything. Now I know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Definately Jack-o-lantern. Sick, I think they can kill you.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Moss said:
I just wondered because someone told me if I see orange mushrooms in the woods pick them for him. He never said what kind or anything. Now I know what to look for.
whoever told you that was talking about the sulfur shelf mushroom

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
When I find chanterelle there are not many trees right where the chanterelle are found.. So yes the ones in the above post (picture) are attached to the roots underneat the soil.. They are jack o lanterns for sure!!

Here is a picture what ground would look like and the vegatation around the chanterelles.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Bearclaw said:
Although these Jacks appear to be growing on the forest floor, they are probably growing off the root system of an old tree. Is that a tree stump there in the picture?
This is another picture of Jack-o-laterns that clearly shows your are correct...

...the Jack-o-latern is a Saprobic fungus which means it gets nourishment directly from dead decaying wood(similar to us eating a steak) and will feed off shallow roots and barely reconizable remnants of down trees and limbs while appearing as if they are growing from the ground.

The Chanterelles (like Morels) are a Mycorrhizal fungus and have a Symbiotic relationship with plants and trees,(similar to us drinking milk from a farm raised cow, while causing no harm to the cow) which means neither would survive without the other and allowing the Chants to get their nourishment(sugars, etc.) from the host plant in what is somewhat of a barter system for providing an extension to the trees root system with the attachment of the Chant's Hyphae (hollow tubes)to the tree's feeder root system thus allowing the tree to reach further and deeper in search of an otherwise unreachable food source. It must also be noted that since the Chant's Hypha system is completely below ground it can not get nourishment through photosynthesis via the planets only energy source, the Sun, and must rely on the host plant.

Then again this happens, or does it???

Black Trumpets, a Chant, growing on a dead decaying tree stump??? BTW, I enjoy takin' pics of mushrooms and have thousands of them.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
My mushroom books do say for the black trumpets... Most Times they will be on the forest floor...The goldens can't ever remember seeing any of those on wood.. Good pictures of the black trumpets!! Thank you for sharing them!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
JACK o Lanterns......growing on wood and in a cluster....bet they have pronounced gills as well....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts