The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 buck just came back from the taxidermist, but something doesn't look quite right.

The rack is the same.

Notice the white/gray on the face of the original deer specifically around the muzzle area and eyes and compare it to the mount.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Looks to be alot more white in first pic,I'm thinking no but just a guess. Take a pic looking down on mount like view in first pic.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The face looks to have totally different markings to me.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I see what you're saying and judging between just the first two pics I'd say no. Would tanning cause any variations from the original? I don't know myself.

BTW.... Very nice buck, congrats

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
def. a differant cape.....maybe the original got ruined and rather than tell you, he tried to take care of it on his own.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Looks like a different cape to me! Just out of curiousity, and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, how much did you pay for that mount?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice deer. Did you take the pictures with the same camera? To me, the pics of the mount seem to have more brilliant colors and the field pics seem a little grey. maybe.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
definately looks different to me. but then again i don't do it for a living. things they do may cause the variation i don't know.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
There is no way that's the same cape. I think you got the ole' switch-a-roo hoping you'd never notice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah def different. The original has that dark choc. hair between the horns the mount has that reddidsh hair and the brown stripe on the nose is def different. He probably ruined yours and didint want to tell you. Regardless it looks great, congrats!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Different Camera. It was an flat light, overcast day when the field pics were taken. Mount pics were taken with incandescent lighting.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Different looks like, I would call him on it first pic no brown line up the nose the second has it

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yeah I noticed the lack of brown line connecting the nose area to the rest of the muzzle in the dead pics. The mount has a definate distinctive brown line that shouldn't be there.

I always inform customers if something is wrong with their cape. Generally it is when the bring it in and I notice bad odor on the skin. Even if the hair isn't slipping I tell them the cape is iffy and I will do what I can. I will put stop rot all over an iffy hide that still has tight fur after I flesh it. Then it gets salted and drained for a day and I then resalt and run a fan to dry it quick. These tend to come back just fine from the tanner. One reason I send all deer capes to a tanner is consistancy, rather than trying to deal with PH and salt myself ( I also have back and shoulder problems and just can't run a round knife for shaving). I use Carolina Fur Dressing and get them wet tanned. I do however tan small games and the small and medium furbearers here in shop. I've got time proven methods I've developed for these type hides.

If a cape is slipping when it comes in or when it thaws, I let the customer know they need a new cape.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
yeah thats def a different cape the dark line by the nose and its looks like your deer had white circles around the eyes and the mount doesnt. still looks good! nice buck congrats!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts