The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, wanted to see if these are in fact Dangleberries? A couple years ago had a bunch of bear at this spot and thought it may be blueberries bit after closer inspection don't think it is. I set up a trail cam there this year but am now curious what these berries are that the bears are going nuts for!

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking highbush until I saw the fruit. Highbush I thought typically grows in clusters with shorter stems? Maybe there is a variant that looks like this? Some of the bushes were 4-5 feet tall. I'm stumped but one thing is for sure the bears love them. I watched a ~200# boar spend a couple hours chasing three smaller bears out of the patch one morning

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Dangle berries is the nickname for Huckle berries which are a lot smaller than those berries in the photo and the bushes are lower to the ground.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Although the berries have the look of huckleberries, I don’t believe they are. I’m no expert, but it seems that there are a lot of varieties of huckleberry bushes. They are probably in the same family as huckleberries, but not an edible berry. Low berries ripen in mid July, high berries in early to mid August. If that is a recent photo, you won’t find huckleberries looking that green now. In the past, I’ve seen the same bushes you’ve seen in close proximity to where I was picking huckleberries.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank everyone for your input and Old Slewfoot for identifying this plant for me! It is definitely deerberry and I wpuldnt have found that out myself. A little reading shows that it os definitely a food source for bears, although I wonder if there is another fruit bearing plant in the area contributing to the prevalence. Time will tell!

Thanks again 🙂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts