The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
17,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LINK:

http://www.goerie.com/article/20121229/OPINION08/312299995/Guest-voice:-Are-there-cougars-in-our-region?

TWO QUOTES:

I first noticed apparent mountain lion tracks a few years ago on the Game Lands 29 road. This game land covers some 9,000 acres south of Warren and is located within the Allegheny National Forest. The road parallels the West Branch of Tionesta Creek and ends close to Hearts Content, a 120-acre remnant of the white pine and beech forest that once covered the region.

AND

Until just this year, I thought that what few cougars might be in the general area could be confined to this appealing Game Lands 29 location. However, this past summer while biking in Game Lands 86, which covers some 14,000 acres and runs along the east bank of the Allegheny River south of Warren, I came across more prints as well as scat.

State GAme lands 29 and 86 seem to be the areas mentioned, we now have snow on the ground, go get em...

·
Registered
24,784 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">But the signs I have noted of the solitary, nocturnal creatures have been unmistakable. These signs have been encountered in relatively remote locations difficult to imagine as the habitat of released pets.

Hikers or hunters would not encounter the signs I have. Hikers trod mostly hard surface trails, while hunters walk leafy surfaces. In neither case would they notice animal signs.
</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"> But a person riding a mountain bike on Game Commission service roads, a pastime I have enjoyed for a number of years, would notice such signs. To avoid spills, a mountain biker must watch out for muddy or sandy spots, and these are where animal tracks are apparent. </span>

Now how is that for logic??? A hunter or hiker wouldn't notice mountain lion tracks on a gamelands road..only a mountain biker would see those ... no mud holes or spring seeps or soft sandy mud along streams... No tracks in the snow...

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
He should have saved the scat and had it DNA tested.
Just for the record, the US Fish and Wildlife Service delisted (extinct) the "eastern cougar", (the one that lived here years ago), not the eastern mountain lion, as he mentioned.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
"In recognition of the beauty of the location, this road (which runs six miles from Chapman State Park to the Hearts Content Road) is now being converted by the Game Commission into a proper biking trail in a $500,000 project. A wide corridor has been brushed out, culverts installed and fill material spread over soggy places. Crushed limestone will cover the trail's surface."

Since when do we need $500,000 bike trails?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Cougars have been known to attack mt bikers from behind. This guy is lucky to be alive, mountain biking in high cougar density areas and all...
The PGC is putting gravel on the trail to hide the cougar tracks. Duh.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Complete with make-up, too tight jeans, and heavy doses of perfume. They are really bad around hotel bars, especially the eastern variety, which the guy who has the big keys in his photo made reference to.
Never give your keys to a cougar.

·
Registered
447 Posts
In all seriousness I don't understand why some people seem to insist that there are cougars around. While hiking last winter a man approached me on some sgl's and told me about all the cougars and cougar sign he and the neighbors have been seeing. I think its possible yes. I think a wild mt. lion will eventually find its way into the state, just look at the young male that found his way to Connecticut. I don't believe however that we have a population of the critters. The people that find tracks and want to prove they're around...call up a local hounds man and get the thing treed!

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
If ya would have said seeing a white monkey eating grapes out of a pumpkin I could have helped you out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
Complete with make-up, too tight jeans, and heavy doses of perfume. They are really bad around hotel bars, especially the eastern variety, which the guy who has the big keys in his photo made reference to.
Never give your keys to a cougar. [/quo

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Don't believe theres a mt.lion anywhere in this state.With snow cover it would be impossible for them to go undetected.unless they're a new breed that jumps tree to tree
I do see it possible that one could cruise thru here though.But, whats it going to eat.We all know there are no deer left and thats whats on thier menu.Bigfoot, now thats a different story.After watching that tv show on animal planet, I'm convinced those things are everywhere;lol

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Yes, yes he did.

He also captured the mountain lion pic. Not sure why he wanted me to post it though.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts