The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get back into the spot where I hunt for woodcock starting Tuesday, but I am wondering if they have all "flown south?"

Any recent activity to report? I am in central PA, Northumberland county.

Thanks,
CHAZ

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Hey Chaz, you getting any pheasant hunting in this year?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, some good, some bad. Kaiser has had a few great points and retrieves, and a few bumped birds and lost cripples. I had him out for grouse and woodcock a few times, and while he has shown some promise of "getting it" he hasn't had much success holding any truly wild birds. We shot a limit of roosters at the flight 93 memorial gamelands earlier this season, that was a great day.

CHAZ

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You may find a few stragglers. I was down in your neck of the woods in southern Northumberland 2.5 weeks ago and put up 17 in 2.5 hours, it really petered out in the next few days.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If they've flown south, it's not too far south. The dog flushed three on Saturday at Hillman State Park in Washington County. Unfortunately, he flushed them instead of pointing them so we didn't get to shoot any.

At any rate, there are still some in the PA neighborhood. They're not in Lousiana just yet.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Interesting, never had gone there and looks like I won't be able to at the present time.

If anyone has Mr. Kaleta's email please PM it to me. With a little time and effort there's more than likely some digital media lobbying that can be done to drum up some support to persuade these elected folks. Surely the folks passionate about hunting in this county overwhelmingly outnumber the folks passionate about riding ATVs, and you can't tell me that industry has more pull or resources than those of devoted sportsman.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What also kind of burns me on this is where is the Ruffed Grouse Society on this issue? Local chapters do some great things in their habitat work and educations but when it comes to their headquarters and any level of advocacy, they don't do much of anything which is making me look to joining other organizations.

A look at their 2011 audit reveals their expenses related to salaries and benefits is over $1,400,000. How much money did they spend on chapter activities? . . . Less than $5,000, 3 tenths of one percentage of what the RGS brass are being paid. Rant over.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually flushed a few grouse there the last time I was out, and I figure even if the woodies are gone I will try and scare up some grouse again. I don't know enough about grouse habitat to know if they change location frequently, but the last time I was out I found them in a spot full of what I call greenbriers, the low "balls" of dense briers usually suspended by trees. It was rainy that morning, so maybe that influenced where they were hiding out as well.
CHAZ

·
Registered
964 Posts
hoofchaz said:
Nice story! BTW...I'm the Don Steese who shot the woodcock, it's my side by side pictured with the bird, and it was my dog who found the bird, about thirty yards from where we thought it went down. I've written numerous articles about this parcel. Darn shame what happened to it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am the guy you ran into hunting that day Mr. Steese. I had the big black Drahthaar out of Dwight's kennel.
CHAZ

·
Registered
964 Posts
hoofchaz said:
I am the guy you ran into hunting that day Mr. Steese. I had the big black Drahthaar out of Dwight's kennel.
CHAZ
Yep, I kinda figured that! Nice seeing you, and nice dog!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts