The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was readin an article in a issue of Guns(Aug.2012)about a repo Matchlock.A 1636 Newtowne built by The Rifle Shoppe in Jones Ok.Now I remember when we all were discussing the keepin of our treasured late season flinty only.But I was wondering bein that this rifle is more primitive than our flinty,s would it be legal in the late season and would you all embrace it if it was or not want to include it?I for one say it should be legal and acceptable by us cause it would even be way more challenging and is earlier than the f/lock.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
Not legal, must be flint igition for the late season.

Also according to the regs, not legal for the early season which requires flint, percussion or primer ignition.
Lastly, not legal for the regular firearms season which also provides that muzzle loaders must be flint, percussion or primer ignited.

Despite the language of the regs, the Digest says ANY muzzleloader may be used for regular firearms season deer.

However, the regs for the special regulations areas appear to permit matchlocks and wheel locks.

The regs for bear season provide the same restrictions as for deer, however, the regs for elk do actually say ANY muzzle loader over the specified caliber.

When the regulations were drafted, no one at the PGC considered that there were more than just flint, percussion and primer ignited muzzleloaders. (match lock, wheel lock, needle fire, electric, etc) Just as they never considered breech loader flint locks, wheel locks, percussion breech loaders, etc. (The Ferguson, Sharps, Hall, Greener, Burnside, Smith, Jenks, Maynard, Dreyse, etc) Berdan's Sharpshooter of Civil War frame used percussion breech loading rifles and had to place their shots in an 8 inch circle at 200 yards just to qualify.

Kit Ravenshear was a master at building matchlocks and used them for hunting deer in PA, but it was before our current statutes and regulations, when simply any firearm propelling a solid expanding projectile was legal except rim fires 25 cal and under. It is a shame the legislature and PGC had to make things so needlessly complicated.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a very good informing article.How long could the match stay lit on both ends before it was used up and need replaced?The author made a good point on how the enemy(Indians)could see the one on guard duty easily at night with his match glowin on both ends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts