The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When hunters are issued citations and either plead guilty to these citations (if I'm using the correct terminology here) or are found guilty if they challenge the validity of the citation, does this information then become public information?

I ask this as I do recall looking up under an Allegheny County web site, the criminal history of a relative of my wife. Not that I'm a 85 year old nebby person, (I'm actually an 87 year old nebby person...so now you know!!).

I've Googled this and have come up with nothing.....but I am curious about it. And yes....I do or would want to know if the "buddy" my friends "buddy" want's to bring along is a good guy....or a rotton egg.

SW

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I doubt it. It would be kind of like getting a citation for speeding. Should that be considered public information? Its not a felony or misdemeanor.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I am sure the PGC does not list the lawbreakers name and fine in the local newspaper but if the lawbreaker kills many deer or a bear sometimes it put in the paper.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is public information, the AOPC website posted above will have all cases tat went through the District Justice courts from summary to felonys.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gentlemen! Let me take my arthritis pills and I'll have something to talk about for the next few months!!!

SW

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Why dont you ask your friend about his buddies prior misdeeds.If you are allowing him to hunt on your private property then you should lay down the rules before he hunts with you..Or if your hunting on public property you can do nothing until he commits a violation then you have the choice to turn him in or not depending on the severity of the violation.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
unfortunately the site uses data input by the magistrates, and that is often mispelled or just not done. not finding an action doesn't mean their wasn't one.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
unfortunately the site uses data input by the magistrates, and that is often mispelled or just not done. not finding an action doesn't mean their wasn't one.
same goes with the police reports in the paper

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I don't agree with police reports in the paper. It will often say this person was issued a citation for let's say speeding. Which may be very true, but suppose the citation is fought and one? The paper never tells that side of the story.I don't like the way it portrays the person as being guilty right away.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
In SE York county is is more a matter of the which police officer screwed up. A case was lost last week when a police officer, other than the one that issued the citation, showed up to prosecute the case. If there is no commonwealth attorney there to prosecute, only the affiant (one that issued the citation) may call witnesses or ask questions. In another case, the trooper wrote on the citation that the defendant violated the harrasssment law by striking, kicking shoving the victim. When the case came to trial they attempted to make a case for telephone threats. A citation must state what the defendant did that violated the law. WCO's and deputies have committed this mistake and it is going to be far more important now that the stakes are higher. I have seen a deputy WCO citation that merely said "section xxx wearing flourescent orange". Signed under penalties of perjury. Had it said Defendant did NOT wear the necessary orange it would have been ok. the way it was written, they could only produce evidence that the Defendant was wearing range, which isn't a violation.

·
Registered
25,907 Posts
I am sure the PGC does not list the lawbreakers name and fine in the local newspaper..
Many rural papers report all activity at the local District Judges' offices, including both local and PSP arrests/citations. Also charges filed by PGC and PFBC officers.

Recently while up at camp, the local weekly had citations listed that were field by WCOs for boating and fishing violations on area lakes and streams.

Checked on that site a bit ago and found out a cousin's daughter has been cited twice for driving improperly registered farm trucks on the road - in two different jurisdictions in the past 5 years. She always was a hard head.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked up the fellow. Just a few speeding tickets. No PGC violations were posted. So, that gives me some level of comfort that the guy isn't....well...that he just isn't.

Even if the web site doesn't have everything about every citation issued, if enough citations are issued to a person, I would guess that some of them will end up on this web site.

That will give you some indication of a person's history.

SW

·
Registered
25,907 Posts
Looked up one relative's record, who I know was cited twice by WCOs some years ago in Potter Co. (untagged does, IIRC?). All it says under which "agency" filed the citations, is "other". One went clear back to 2003.

Most other documents list which police dept. had filed the charges and which DJ in whose office they were handled.

Also noticed that some older traffic citation documents no longer show up. Up until several years ago when she finally settled down a bit, the ol' SheWolf commonly racked up one speeding ticket about every other year, sometimes two in one year. Twice she got close to having enough points to have go to driver's school. She now has no traffic citation record.

On the other hand, found traffic citations for some friends and relatives, that go back years and are still listed? Perhaps courts with more active records, don't list them for as long a time?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Yep, you can really dig up some dirt on people if you so choose. Be careful about name spellings, too, and which county you are searching. You need to be specific and the names can come up differently, like James, Jim, etc... Last names are usually right on but, you need to make sure it is the correct person if it's a common last name.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
wow
and he still gets a hunting lic
if they are for those cit.......bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts