The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but is there ANY chance the PGC could eventually decide to make xbows illegal again w/out a disability permit? I don't see it ever happening, but it's always been there in the back of my mind. There still seems to be a significant portion of the general hunting population who view them as 'cheating' or 'unethical'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
From what I understand, there is overwhelming support for the crossbow by both the general hunting community and the Commission.

There seem to be a lot less wounded deer in archery season also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TrophyHunter11 said:
From what I understand, there is overwhelming support for the crossbow by both the general hunting community and the Commission.

There seem to be a lot less wounded deer in archery season also.
Well then maybe its just the jealous compound hunters that i'm surrounded by!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,625 Posts
Don't see it happening. The national trend is inclusion, not exclusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Dont see the crossbow ever going away , what i believe you will see is a adjustment to the length of the season , IMO archery season is no longer considered a low harvest impact season.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
24,060 Posts
I hope not, I didn't spend all that money for nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
8points said:
TrophyHunter11 said:
From what I understand, there is overwhelming support for the crossbow by both the general hunting community and the Commission.

There seem to be a lot less wounded deer in archery season also.
Well then maybe its just the jealous compound hunters that i'm surrounded by!
LOL! I'll give up my cross bow when they give up tree stands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,625 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
Dont see the crossbow ever going away , what i believe you will see is a adjustment to the length of the season
Probably longer and not shorter with time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,479 Posts
I don,t see how you can say that usin X/Bows would be seen as cheatin when you have archery hunters usin a bow like it was never intended to be.Take releases for example,stuff like that should have never been legalized.I,ll never use all of that add on garbage and that isn,t archery huntin to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,479 Posts
I think X/Bows are here to stay.Just their popularity might just wear off some.I think adding another type of weapon is fine.I just don,t agree with main changes that don,t belong or are natural to the weapon like releases on bows.Triggers are for guns,not bows.Just my .02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
They are here to stay...I've been a bowhunter since 1972 and i love the bow and the xbow...just had alot more fun shooting the crossbow the last 5 years,its an awsome weapon...Honkers51
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,207 Posts
8points said:
This may be a dumb question, but is there ANY chance the PGC could eventually decide to make xbows illegal again w/out a disability permit?
When the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners approved full inclusion for crossbows in 2009, it built in a sunset provision. Following the 2011 season, the board plans to review the data gathered from the previous three seasons to determine if full inclusion should continue or if crossbow use should take another route in Pennsylvania.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/259222_Crossbow-effect-is-a-subject-of-debate.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
well for all you folks who feel using a release on a compound should be not allowed... i feel scopes on a crossbow should not be used....imho... Besides with todays compound bows you have to use a release due to the string angle that causes finger pinch.. you have cross bows shooting 350+fps.. = 1 pin out to 35yds... practically zero mvmt before shot and can sit to shoot sitting from a treestand where as a compound shooter has to stand and draw without detection...i know for a fact that this past archery season if i was a crossbow owner i would have tagged out then.... but with a compound i ended up being out with the gun slingers... so each weapon has its advantages and disadvantages.. ( can find any with a crossbow)...
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top