The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you fellows reckon these will hold up?

Picture #1 = Eric Carns - Non Typical PA State Record - 2016 - 228 6/8's

Picture #2 = Ron Shaulis - Typical PA State Record - 2017 - 185 4/8's

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would say Non Typical could hold quite awhile. The typical could be broken in any given year in the right area. After reading the story of #2 and only my opinion that deer should never been scored as a hunter killed deer. Should only have been entered as a pickup. And again that is only my opinion.

·
Registered
734 Posts
As far as I’m concerned the typical is a pick up/ dead head. Shouldn’t be representing pa’s largest typical ever “killed”.
That non typical is crazy big! Very rarely do I hear/read about any big non typical’s being killed so I’m guessing the non typical will be on top for quite some time. They are both incredible bucks though!

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
...After reading the story of #2 and only my opinion that deer should never been scored as a hunter killed deer. Should only have been entered as a pickup. And again that is only my opinion.

I totally agree that it should not be the Pa. record as it was essentially a pick up, but I don't think there's a pick up category in the Pa. records; B&C yes, but not Pa. State records.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Things continue trending upward in this state and that means that either of those records could fall at any time. There are some absolute giants out there all across this state and it just takes one making a mistake...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
A 230 nt is pretty rare anywhere, I'd think that one may stand for a while.

A 186+ typical, not nearly as rare, but still hard come by in pa. If I had to guess I think this one will be bested at some point, could be fairly soon.

As hunter numbers decline, the likelyhood of giant bucks increases. At least here in western pa, we have the genetics and soils to produce deer like the ones that routinely come from the ajoining counties in ohio.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

A 186+ typical, not nearly as rare, but still hard come by in pa. If I had to guess I think this one will be bested at some point, could be fairly soon.

As hunter numbers decline, the likelyhood of giant bucks increases. At least here in western pa, we have the genetics and soils to produce deer like the ones that routinely come from the ajoining counties in ohio.
Absolutely. I’ve said often that I wish I could get my hands on 500+ acres here in western Pa and give me 5 years with it and I’ll prove that 150-160 class bucks could be harvested regularly, with 170+ not being out of the question. Those that claim that Pa can’t grow deer like they have in the Midwest are wrong and it’s been proven time and again. We don’t have a problem with genetics, we’ve had a problem with too many hunters not allowing bucks to reach maturity and grow those big antlers. Many of the biggest bucks ever taken in this state were from the 40s when there were very few hunters and mostly iron sighted rifles...

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I think the typical record will be broken within five years, Pa has been growing some big bucks and I just see more opportunities in the future.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that the typical state record should be defined in a separate category. The deer should absolutely be honored and given recognition but not as hunter killed. I don't think the hunter did anything wrong (after the fact) as far as tagging the buck to claim it (I would've done the same thing) and I would've also wanted it entered, but not as hunter killed. I think the fault here lies within the recording system and they should've made adjustments. Here's the Jefferson County buck that was discovered in the 80's that would've been the new state record and challenged for the world, but it was never proven to be hunter killed and there was a lot of speculation that it was poached, and/or the one side had shed and was reattached to the mount so it couldn't be officially measured. Either way it was never entered in the PA records even though it's a world class buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

Absolutely. I’ve said often that I wish I could get my hands on 500+ acres here in western Pa and give me 5 years with it and I’ll prove that 150-160 class bucks could be harvested regularly, with 170+ not being out of the question. Those that claim that Pa can’t grow deer like they have in the Midwest are wrong and it’s been proven time and again. We don’t have a problem with genetics, we’ve had a problem with too many hunters not allowing bucks to reach maturity and grow those big antlers. Many of the biggest bucks ever taken in this state were from the 40s when there were very few hunters and mostly iron sighted rifles...
500 ac is not enough land to keep and groom a buck

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

500 ac is not enough land to keep and groom a buck
Very true. 500 would be MINIMUM but if you had neighbors that subscribed to management goals as well, it is more than enough land, provided you have everything he needs (food water, sanctuary)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Very true. 500 would be MINIMUM but if you had neighbors that subscribed to management goals as well, it is more than enough land, provided you have everything he needs (food water, sanctuary)
…….. And enough does to keep his interest of course.... :grin2:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I remember seeing and reading about that Jefferson County buck in the North American Whitetail magazine. That buck is just awesome. Wonder where it is now? Anyway I think the typical record will be broken in the next few years. Pa. Is growing some pretty big bucks lately. The typical buck is know as “The Houdini Buck”.. read the story about that deer too..

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would like to question this: The typical record buck was alleged to be taken with archery equipment. Did anybody think to do DNA on the arrow or any blood related samples and compare that to the deer and clear this controversy during the investigation ? This questioning of is or not legitimate is not good for Pa. hunters or PGC... The antis can and will use this story against us that we only care about the RACK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
185 4/8 I think it will stand for awhile.
The previous record has stood since 2004.
Not that i dont think bigger bucks are not out there,
Its just that a 185" + net typical rack can't be very common. (in my opinion).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like others on here, I agree about the typical state record. I am in no way calling the hunter a liar or saying that he didn't kill that buck....But, if we are going to have a record book than there needs to be standards that must be upheld for entry or why bother? That guy could have just found that buck dead and never even laid eyes on it before finding it? Even with trail cam photos (which I believe he had) there is no guarantee that he ever saw it on the hoof. I have a bunch of nice bucks on camera that I've never actually seen or shot at. Just my opinion. As to the question of how long they'll stand...I believe that both will be the record for awhile. If you look at typicals taken in PA, there are several that make that 170" mark, but not many at all hit above 180". I'll be out every chance I get however, trying to beat either of them. haha

1 - 20 of 102 Posts