The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nothing would be a surprise these days. If a archery season transpired though I’d def be after them. Also it wouldn’t be the slam dunk with a crossbow like many seem to think it would be.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Also it wouldn’t be the slam dunk with a crossbow like many seem to think it would be.
It is interesting watching some folks talk about how easy hunting turkeys with a crossbow is as they shoot a 30 inch pattern of 700 shot count TSS at 40 yards, while those hunting with arrows are shooting a 1 inch projectile. Thats part of the reason why many that use bows prefer blinds and decoys to try to offset that disadvantage somewhat. The gobblers need to be close.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
This is the way I hunt them in the spring now and you won't kill many longbeards hunting them this way, but if your looking for more of a challenge versus collecting longbeards this is the way to go.
Iv'e shot several like that. Most of the time you can't even draw your bow, and they just walk away or spook cus they're so close.

My "increased opportunity" tactic is to move 25 yds sideways from the direction the bird is coming from, at what I think is the last possible minute. You'll spook some, but your shot opportunities at the rest will increase dramatically. Stay low, move quickly. They'll be looking for you from where you called last. And you ain't there. Big advantage.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Getting your bow drawn on a gobbler is definitely your biggest obstacle when hunting with a bow. The most comfortable way I've found is to sit at the base of a tree on the ground with my bow cam resting on a camo cloth. From this position I only have to raise my bow a couple inches to draw my bow. Like Yellodog mentioned many times the gobbler comes in fast and before you know it he's right on top of you, which is a good thing with a shotgun but not so much with a bow. I seem to be really good at getting longbeards into bow range and even better at missing them or killing a tree.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Iv'e shot several like that. Most of the time you can't even draw your bow, and they just walk away or spook cus they're so close.

My "increased opportunity" tactic is to move 25 yds sideways from the direction the bird is coming from, at what I think is the last possible minute. You'll spook some, but your shot opportunities at the rest will increase dramatically. Stay low, move quickly. They'll be looking for you from where you called last. And you ain't there. Big advantage.
Set up is everything when trying to kill one with a bow, I'll have to try the silent last minute lateral move on them this year.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts