The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
Okay then it'll be alright to have a week at then end of spring gobbler season.
That's fine with me, as I said more opportunity regardless of weapon or timing is always a good thing.

I don't like the afternoon spring turkey season. I don't like blinds or decoys. I don't really think 3.5 inch chambers or extra tight chokes are nessessary. But all that stuff is legal, and none of it hurts the resource, so I really don't care if anyone else uses it or not, but I don't. Same way some chose to not use archery gear, no?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I guess after thinking about it, I could definitely support a limited draw rifle gobbler season in March before it's green. Surely if it's limited it couldn't hurt the resource. Added opportunity and no adverse effect on the population.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
Funny. The die-hard "archers" are so quick to tell others to simply buy or pick up a bow, but don't once consider they could put theirs down and grab a gun and join in with the others...............
Regardless of weapon, if theres a season for something I want to hunt, I'll probably take advantage of it. If I don't, I certainly won't resent those that do. I don't understand that way of thinking.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love archery hunting... And I love rifle hunting. Basically I just love hunting. Gun or bow, we all love the same thing- the hunt. Too much division and focus on the weapons hunters prefer to use.

As for spring gobbler, I do believe it would be a little unfair to let archery hunters get a week start- only because it seems turkeys learn so quick and adjust very quickly. I think the wknd long youth hunt alone has gobblers educated by opening day.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You are not the only one. I for one would love to see an archery only season say the first week of April. I would like it to be an archery season where you can only use a vertical.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have a question for some of you fellas, actually I have a few. How many of you fellas have taken your children trapping when it was so ---- cold you thought you'd freeze your fingers off but when you came upon a trap with Fur in it you and your children forgot all about the cold and in this process showed them tracks and other sign or maybe shot a rabbit or 2 while checking your traps? How many have taken their children racoon hunting and learned from them old boys that have been at it for a long time what it was to hear a hound bellow out a tune that would send the short hairs on your neck to stand up?
Seems to me we're missing some of that with all the more extended seasons for everything. What are we teaching our children more is better? I very rarely hear guys talk about the sort of thing I mentioned above, I do hear more seasons, bigger racks, longer beards, larger bears, more food plots and the list goes on and on. More is better? Get all ya can for yourself?
If anybody here thinks I'm jealous, self centered or worried about somebody getting a jump on me for hunting time, ha, that's a laugh.
There's more to being an outdoors man than getting and taking all ya can.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The longer seasons allow more opportunity for those who want it. The other seasons are still there for those who want to like to participate in many different disciplines. As long as you have the time you can do as many different things or as few as you see fit.

In the end we are all hunters, regardless of our individual passions within hunting.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts