The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am i the only guy that would like to see an archery only season for spring turkey here in PA? Maybe a full week before general season opens up. Seems like the PGC is opening more opportunities for hunters in the fall maybe now would be a good time for additional in the spring. My proposal is you can fill one tag only but can hunt all day for the five days between youth and general season.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Am i the only guy that would like to see an archery only season for spring turkey here in PA? Maybe a full week before general season opens up. Seems like the PGC is opening more opportunities for hunters in the fall maybe now would be a good time for additional in the spring. My proposal is you can fill one tag only but can hunt all day for the five days between youth and general season.
What's stopping you from using a bow in the existing spring gobbler season? Seems like the opportunity is already there.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
1. Due to the nature of spring turkey hunting, an archer is at no disadvantage in the general season. It's not like guys are driving turkeys.

2. As to the second point of being allowed to hunt all day early season, there is a biological reason that that's not permitted, namely, as to not disturb hens on the nest.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Been working on that for about 6 years on and off. Talked to folks within the PANWTF, commissioners, and even the turkey folks from Nebraska where they have a archery only season. Some states have an early archery only season for gobblers. It is very popular but low impact.

Since the majority of those that hunt turkeys with bows sit in blinds and play the waiting game, it would be ideal in Pa due to our relatively heavy pressure to have a period of time where archers could hunt unpressured birds and not get cut off by others hunters moving in a gobbling tom.

The idea was three days during the week between the youth hunt and the general opener. Being during the week, pressure and impact would be minimal.

I recently talked to a few others about making a push for the January 2021 BOC meeting where new proposals are put forth for the next hunting year. Now that the BOC has a turkey biologist from the PANWTF on the board, the timing may be right to work on it again. It would be helpful to get more folks communicating with the BOC on this and also to get some support from the UBP and the PANWTF.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with big bear 100%. Sitting in a blind with decoys dosent really take much skill other than knowing which field to be in.
Try killing one without a blind, no decoys, and no crossbows. I would support a early season that looked like that.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Been working on that for about 6 years on and off. Talked to folks within the PANWTF, commissioners, and even the turkey folks from Nebraska where they have a archery only season. Some states have an early archery only season for gobblers. It is very popular but low impact.

Since the majority of those that hunt turkeys with bows sit in blinds and play the waiting game, it would be ideal in Pa due to our relatively heavy pressure to have a period of time where archers could hunt unpressured birds and not get cut off by others hunters moving in a gobbling tom.

The idea was three days during the week between the youth hunt and the general opener. Being during the week, pressure and impact would be minimal.

I recently talked to a few others about making a push for the January 2021 BOC meeting where new proposals are put forth for the next hunting year. Now that the BOC has a turkey biologist from the PANWTF on the board, the timing may be right to work on it again. It would be helpful to get more folks communicating with the BOC on this and also to get some support from the UBP and the PANWTF.
dpms, Usually I agree with some of your post but can't agree with this. When is it enough for archery hunters? You guys just got another week in Nov. WTH. You fellas have to have all the prime time or what?

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
dpms, Usually I agree with some of your post but can't agree with this. When is it enough for archery hunters? You guys just got another week in Nov. WTH. You fellas have to have all the prime time or what?
It's not "you fellas", it would be open for anyone using archery tackle, you included. It would be MORE opportunity for ANYONE who chose to hunt that week, no?

(Getting on soapbox)As far as being difficult to shoot a gobbler with a bow, shooting one out of a blind is little different than using a shotgun, I'd guess a crossbow would be the same as a shotgun. Iv'e shot several out of a blind with a bow, just not my cup of tea. I've also ambushed a couple along feild edges and shot some from treestands in the fall, targets of opportunity but not "turkey hunting" by my definition. Calling in and fooling a gobbler with no blind and no decoy, that's what spring gobbler is about, not simply shooting a turkey. Anybody can do that. Feel free to disagree.(Getting down now....)

·
Registered
16,348 Posts
Archery, Archery, Archery. we need a season for this, we need a season for that. Archers (i am one) just got another week added to Archery deer season. they have an Archery bear season, we can use bows during regular spring turkey, fall turkey and the two weeks of "rifle" deer season. you can use a bow for small game, predators and varmints.
how much more time and seasons do you need to get the game you're after. OMG....learn to shoot, get some skills, set up properly and walk out of the woods with that gobbler over your shoulder in front of the guys with those 70 yard turkey killing shot guns that cant get the job done either... show them whose boss :)

if you want the woods to yourself, buy some land, post it and get going.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Not everyone can hunt every day, so the more days available, the better.
Thats pretty much it. Bottom line is if opportunity exists, I always explore it. The more days hunters can hunt, and the more options hunters have, the better it is for hunters and the sport.

If the resource can handle it, I will always welcome it.

I sense some jealousy and self centeredness rearing its ugly head again (not by you Yellowdog). Some or worried that someone else is going to get a jump on them. Some think that a certain style of hunting is not hunting. Some bash the type of weapon being used. Some say an idea is not "needed". etc.......... Every time a new opportunity is discussed, there will always be people that find reasons to have issues with it.

Not going to get into a back and forth. If the OP is interested, they can reach out to me via PM and we can go from there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really didnt expect so much negative feedback in the archery forum. Yes the whole point was more days hunting between youth and general season. The details could be adjusted. Good to see at least a couple guys were on board and already working on that goal. I dont post much on this website and now I remember why. Too many negative nancy’s. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and i respect them even if i dont like them. However some of these responses are just childish. No back and forth with me cause you are a waste of my time. I do just fine in the general season. Have a nice.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I really didnt expect so much negative feedback in the archery forum. Yes the whole point was more days hunting between youth and general season. The details could be adjusted. Good to see at least a couple guys were on board and already working on that goal. I dont post much on this website and now I remember why. Too many negative nancy’s. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and i respect them even if i dont like them. However some of these responses are just childish. No back and forth with me cause you are a waste of my time. I do just fine in the general season. Have a nice.
Don't let the negative Nancy's get to ya. They are everywhere in today's world. Some Folks just can't say they don't like an idea. They have to bash others in the process.

We have lost hundreds of thousands of hunters in this state and will lose just as many more over the next decade or two as the boomers hang it up. Opportunities will grow. Have faith and keep working for what you believe. The archery turkey seasons in some states are very popular and hunters head there from around the country.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Don't let the negative Nancy's get to ya. They are everywhere in today's world. Some Folks just can't say they don't like an idea. They have to bash others in the process.

We have lost hundreds of thousands of hunters in this state and will lose just as many more over the next decade or two as the boomers hang it up. Opportunities will grow. Have faith and keep working for what you believe. The archery turkey seasons in some states are very popular and hunters head there from around the country.

I am all for it gents! I will be the guy out there in my blind sitting over dekes. And it wont bother me a bit. Probably the same guys that are against the Saturday opener or Sunday hunting. I just dont know how you can find a negative in getting more days to hunt if the resource can handle it. Weve been thinking of heading to NE for their archery season in the future.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts