The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to carry both weapons to take a deer?I think it is not.Some on this site feel it is legal to carry both and I said no you can't.My point is if you can do so legally how would a WCO know if you are archery hunting or early muzzleloader hunting?Personally I make a choice before leaving my house about how I will hunt that day.I hunted rifle season for deer with a bow before.I just felt that way that time.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It is legal to carry both during muzzleloader season, as long as you have both Licenses. As far as confrontation from a WCO goes, as long as you are properly licensed, have the required Flo. Orange and the season is open, there shouldnt be a problem.

Deer - Archery Seasons: Long, recurve and compound bows, and crossbows, and broadheads of cutting edge design. The bolt must be equipped with a broadhead not more than three inches long and at least 7/8 inches wide, with at least two cutting edges on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface. Magnifying scopes and sights such as red dot on crossbows can be used. Persons hunting deer in the archery seasons may not possess a firearm, except those individuals who have a License to Carry Firearms permit, and then only those firearms authorized by the permit (most sporting arms are not authorized). Muzzleloading firearms can also be carried by bowhunters during any muzzleloading season, providing the hunter has an archery license and a muzzleloader license and meets the fluorescent orange requirements of the muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
yup, its legal, but like stated before you must meet ML orange requirements. I've done it a time or two, but it becomes more of a pain carrying the extra stuff.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
diablo666 said:
Is it legal to carry both weapons to take a deer? I think it is not.
the "Funny" thing about that there......It is spelled out in the Comic Book!

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/deerseasonbaglimits.pdf

Persons hunting
deer in the archery seasons may not possess a firearm, except
those individuals who have a License to Carry Firearms permit, and
then only those firearms authorized by the permit (most sporting
arms are not authorized). .Muzzleloading firearms can also be carried
by bowhunters during any muzzleloading season, providing
the hunter has an archery license and a muzzleloader license and
meets the fluorescent orange requirements of the muzzleloader season
The law needs changed even Further...

Seeing Small Game season over laps in there... I and anyone else who wants to shoot squirrels while the deer are not moving around, should be able to have a .22 with them and shoot squirrels and still shoot a deer with the muzzleloader if 1 happens to come along!

Just switch firearms... just like would be done if you are setting in the stand and have a bow and muzzleloader... buck walks in, you shoot with the Bow...Doe walks in, you can decide to use bow or muzzleloader!

·
Super Moderator
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay your corrected me thanks.I still will only carry one weapon at a time to hunt.If I archery hunt I wouldn't want to shoot a firearm from my stand.Good luck this year folks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, God forbid you would have to allow that trophy squirrel to go by . You can shoot a squirrel with a bow, if you are wearing fluorescent orange when you shoot.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
Yep, God forbid you would have to allow that trophy squirrel to go by . You can shoot a squirrel with a bow, if you are wearing fluorescent orange when you shoot.
John,

Why does it seem at late that you can not see the true reasons behind the laws?

You can see the Logic behind letting those who choose to take both a bow and flinter/inline out and choose to shoot a buck with a bow or a doe with the bow or front stuffer...

Yet, you make the comment like you did there about hunting both small game and big game at the same time seeing there seasons over lap and have a choice in the matter to do so but can not because of how the law is writter...

So, it should be the same as your answer....

Either forget about shooting a Buck if your taking the front stuffer or leave the dang front stuffer at home... you can shoot BOTH With a Bow and not be just limited to bucks only with a bow!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is no logic in taking a rifle into an archery stand unless you want to shoot a deer with a rifle. It would be counter productive to be shooting with a rifle when you are waiting for a deer to come close to use a bow on. My logic is make a choice, life is full of choices, the problem is people do not want to make them.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Yeah, that SOUNDS good, until you make a choice like I did last year and took my daughter out for youth doe and took the flinter, and a nice 8 pt grazed around the stand for 1/2 hour before standing broadside at 7 yards, on my side, nibbiling a leaf, before making a scrape 30 yards away.

The recurve is going with me this year. I choose to be prepared.

BTW, same stand for rifle and bow. Its better for rifle but I have shot deer with bow amd flintlock.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I kind of agree with John, it is going to be a PITA to do so the only time I plan on it is when I am taking the Jr hunter out for doe. Wont be as bad with the recurve though, its not as needy. Other than those days she goes out, its bow season.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
There is no logic in taking a rifle into an archery stand unless you want to shoot a deer with a rifle. It would be counter productive to be shooting with a rifle when you are waiting for a deer to come close to use a bow on. My logic is make a choice, life is full of choices, the problem is people do not want to make them.
I was meaning a front stuffer AND a .22...

I've sat many of times in my climber and shot squirrels in the wood lot and a doe has come sneaking around.......

Had it happen many times, last year after shooting 1 doe in the morning with the inline, I decided to go set in the climber for squirrels in the afternoon ....and along comes a fat doe no more then 5 minutes after I shot a squirrel!

Now, If It would have been legal, I could have hung the .22 up on a hook and grabbed the front stuffer and downed her with a legal to use firearm!

But, the mentality is that I'd be an out law and pouch and use the .22 with a 28 grain bullet instead of a inline with 245 grain bullet...

I'd be considered a poucher just stepping out of my truck for the walk in with both rifles before even squeezing the trigger!

But, oh, no, no one would ever think while having a front stuffer and bow in the stand together to use that front stuffer to take a buck and try to get away with it... that would NEVER Happen...and it is completly legal to use both together!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Woody, in the flintlock season both the bow and the flintlock are legal to hunt deer with. In the archery season a rifle is an unlawful device to take deer no matter what the caliber. You may not think people would take a deer with the rifle, you would be greatly mistaken.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
Woody, in the flintlock season both the bow and the flintlock are legal to hunt deer with. In the archery season a rifle is an unlawful device to take deer no matter what the caliber. You may not think people would take a deer with the rifle, you would be greatly mistaken.
John,

I'm not trying to argue with you...I'm trying to get you and others to see atleast what I'm trying to get out and what a few others have been able to see and understand....

Archery/Early Muzzleloader season/small game season over lap...in those 3 season, you can take a bow and front stuffer out and set in the stand and decide to shoot with either the bow for a buck or the bow or front stuffer for a doe....

now, I really, TRUELY Understand, that there are those low lives out there that will use a .22 to shoot a deer....BUT, it doesn't matter if it is a legal season or out of season!

So, if 1 was to be a legal, and was a abideing hunter, WHY should they NOT be able to have a .22 for an over lapping small game season/early front stuffer season?

Your going to tell me that there is 0/ZERO guys out there that would not try thier best to shoot a buck during the over lap of archery and front stuffer season with a front stuffer and try their dangest to pass it off as a archery kill?

Come on John,...How long were you a WCO? and you never incountered something like that?

the Mentality is out there....does not matter if you came up against those types or not while you were a WCO....but they are out there....but yet making it legal to have a bow and front stuffer is A OK and would not see any pouched deer but to have a Front Stuffer and a Small Game firearm would?

Highly Doubt it!

If we can take a bow and front stuffer into the woods and hunt with it at the same time while those 2 seasons over lap....we should be able to take a front stuffer/small game firearm and be legal for deer and small game at the same time seeing 1 has to have 250 square inchs of FO on for both front stuffer deer and Small Game...but the law is only front stuffer and archery....

I would not even consider a 1 dollar bet that there is 0/ZERO Pouched deer from guys having a front stuffer and bow in hand at the same time and shooting a buck that is out of bow range but in front stuffer range!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are still missing the point Woody. During the flintlock season if a hunter has a muzzleloader license and an archery license he may take both on stand because he his licensed for both and the season for both is open so it doesn't matter which one is used. In archery season and early muzzleloader season the would be in possession of an unlawful weapon if they had a .22 rifle or any other single projectile rifle . Is it really all that big a deal not to be able to shoot a lousy squirrel. I think not. Yes I have seen deer killed with a firearm and then try to be passed off as an archery kill more then a few times.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
So John....if I'm reading this post correctly (as I have been scanning the older post in the hopes of finding my answer.....but to my dismay, I still am a little fuzzy) let me give my circumstances:

1) I am still archery hunting for a buck.
2) I have a shoot from the vehicle disabled permit.
3) I have an anterless tag for the WMU which I archery hunt in.

So, for the upcoming "early" M\L season, and I speak to the 3 days where modern firearms are permitted (I'm not discussin the ethics or right\wrong of that law here) am I correct in thinking that I CAN strap on my Smith 44 magnum to my hip, as well as take my broad-head thrower?

So, should a buck stroll by, I can fling an arrow into him. Then, after proper tagging, should a doe stroll by, I can take her with the 44?

I cannnot however, take a anterled deer with the 44 magnum. (And I'm sure there are those who would, but it seems to me that would take the sprit of the contest right out of it. I mean....why even buy a bow?)

But, in any event, I can carry a 44 magnum for doe, and a bow for buck on those 3 days?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Dave, any FO rules would need to be adhered to as well. Taking both weapons would require FO display to the higher degree if there was any difference in the number of sq inches.

I will defer to more knowledgeable folks on this one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts