The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for an archery-specific jacket that is:
insulated, not bulky, no noisy zippers, no noisy fabric...any ideas?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I was never an Under Armor fan until I bought two of their jackets. One is heavier than the other.

Light weight, and while not "toasty" warm, I find I rarely sweat in them, which goes a long way towards keeping warm, especially in bow season.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
25ftup, which jacket do you have? Pattern?
I've been thinking of getting their Guide DCS jacket.
They look well made.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
First Lite Woodbury is hard to beat for archery. It's super warm and with some good base layers can be worn into late season. The only thing I don't like about it when zipped all the way up it has a built in neck gaiter that comes up over your chin. Keeps the heat in but a little awkward if you shoot a thumb release like I do. I usually just fold the collar in, if you hunt with a wrist strap index finger release the collar should not be an issue. First Lite jackets are pricey but for the bowhunter who spends long hours in the tree it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have the Cabela's bowhunter XT suit with scentlok. I looked for quite some time to find what I think is the perfect archery outfit. I would have preferred it without the scentlok, but I couldn't find anything I was satisfied with. I wear it from temps below freezing to the 50's, then it's too warm.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
First Lite Woodbury is hard to beat for archery. It's super warm and with some good base layers can be worn into late season. The only thing I don't like about it when zipped all the way up it has a built in neck gaiter that comes up over your chin. Keeps the heat in but a little awkward if you shoot a thumb release like I do. I usually just fold the collar in, if you hunt with a wrist strap index finger release the collar should not be an issue. First Lite jackets are pricey but for the bowhunter who spends long hours in the tree it's worth it.
Love my first lite stuff. I bought the sanctuary before the Woodbury came out, have no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
322 Posts
First lite is an awesome brand. Their outwear is extremely quiet compared to Kuiu. I have the sanctuary jacket from first lite and it is by far the warmest jacket I have ever purchased. I also have the Kuiu guide DCS jacket. The thing about the guide jacket is it is a softshell and if you are familiar with them they do make some noise. It will quiet down once you break it in, but that takes some time. I do wear mine for archery on chilly days and you just have to take into consideration when you draw back to be very smooth, because it will make some noise. When it does get cold I break out the first lite because it is just better gear all around and warmer. The woodbury jacket is also very quiet. Field and Stream stores do carry first lite if you want to go check out some of their gear.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I wont recommend any specific brand but I will say get something that is wind proof. I made that change last year and it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I second the wind shear is a must for any camo, unless your hunting very early season. The First Lite Sanctuary and Woodbury are the same jacket except the Woodbury has 40% less insulation. I would like to buy the Sanctuary for very cold days but I think for overall hunting Pa archery you will get more use out of the Woodbury. I hunted some very cold late season days last year with a Cabela's Wooltimate over the Woodbury and that combo is super warm. The Wooltimate with wind shear is another great set of camo that's warm and quiet.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
MatchMan, I have the Chinook jacket in Verde camo , Best made jacket I ever wore, and it had the lighter tones with green that Ive been looking for. Pricey but well worth it. I have no problem layering under it and the amount of pockets are great!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Do you think it's quiet enough?
Tater on the first page thought his Kuiu was a little noisy.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Plenty quiet!!! Killed my buck this year on a 5 yd shot, and passed more that I had in range. None ever picked me off moving to get my bow off the hook.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I bought a Cabela's Berber fleece Jacket with windshear for late season this year. I thought it was pretty quiet and warmer than I thought it would be. It could use some more pockets, but overall was pretty happy and was able to do away with a layer and a heated vest . It was also on sale for 50% off. Liked it enough I grabbed the pants.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've never had a chance to check out the Chinook jacket from Kuiu, it might be quieter than the guide jacket. Just like most softshell jackets, Columbia, North Face, etc, they all get quieter as they are broken in.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thinking of getting one of these in ASAT for my son. What temps would you say good for in PA?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Thinking of getting one of these in ASAT for my son. What temps would you say good for in PA?

With layering the Woodbury can be worn from mid archery through gun season. I did all day sits using my bow till the end of gun season. Temps in the low 20's in the morning and rising to 45 midday no problem for the Woodbury. I had one really cold windy day during gun season I put my Wooltimate pullover over top the Woodbury and sat all day in teens to 20's temps.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
With layering the Woodbury can be worn from mid archery through gun season. I did all day sits using my bow till the end of gun season. Temps in the low 20's in the morning and rising to 45 midday no problem for the Woodbury. I had one really cold windy day during gun season I put my Wooltimate pullover over top the Woodbury and sat all day in teens to 20's temps.
Bought the Woodbury and it is a very nice coat!!

Looking at the Wooltimate pullowver now as its 25% off. Do you find it to be noisy at all? I saw that in some of the reviews and that would be a concern during archery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have three options depending on the weather.

1. Under Armour hoodie - least bulky - $50
2. Scent Lok Mid Season Jacket - best all around jacket I own - $149
3. Cabelas Berber Fleece Jacket - most bulky/most warm- 50% off so I think I paid $70?

Since I have switched to 100% polyester layers I have worn less layers and worn less bulky jackets. I'm all about comfort and warmth. Anything that has wind proof in it is great and very warm. Walking in wearing it can get hot so I strap it to the stand if I'm using a climber. The berber fleece is super warm but is bulky. I don't have an issue shooting while wearing it later into the season so i prefer that jacket with a thin base layer and a fleece 1/4 zip. Early on I like my hoodies. They are comfy and light. My HSS vest has pockets so my outerwear doesn't need pockets.

If I had to choose an all around season jacket then the Scent Lok Mid Season would be it. Warm, has pockets, lighter than the berber fleece, quiet and comfortable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts