The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who hunts Spring Gobblers with a bow only? This is going to be my first year doing so. I am just looking for some tips and tactics on how you guys bag the Big Wise Tom with a bow. I do have a ground blind and decoys.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
I have shot three spring birds in the pas two years with the bow. IMO, patience is the number one factor in being successful or not. Grounds blinds set up in the right areas and the patience to sit there all morning even if you are not hearing birds is key.

Trust your location and wait em out. I used to run and gun looking for a hot Tom. With bowhunting, and the extra gear that is required, my tactics have changed to long sits in a comfortable chair with a good book.

·
Registered
22,226 Posts
No offense Gene but there's a big difference between killing one with a bow vs a crossbow.

Buckeroo,if you use a ground blind,there really isn't much of a challenge.Stay back in the shadows and you you can draw with no problems.Turkeys aren't afraid of blinds so if you set up near a strut zone,killing a gobbler should be easy,especially if you use a strutter as a decoy.Actually,bowhunting a turkey when using a blind is actually less challenging that shooting one with a shotgun without the use of a blind.You're mobility and flexability are decreased when using a blind but if you set up where the turkeys are predictable,killing one shouldn't be an issue.That of course goes out the window if you're hunting an area with any pressure.

Calling in and Killing a gobbler with a bow without the aid of a blind is one of the biggest challenges out there.I did it successfully once but had more luck on my side that morning than skill.Anyone that can do it consistantly that way is a hero in my book.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
dce said:
No offense Gene but there's a big difference between killing one with a bow vs a crossbow.
Offense taken, Doug and not sure what that comment has to do with the thread. Just another chance to take a shot and puff your chest. I happen to consider a crossbow a bow and those that hunt spring gobblers with crossbows hunt them the same way as those with recurves or compound verts the majority of the time, here in PA and across this country. Using blinds.

I happen to be very proud of being able to kill spring gobblers with crossbows. No easy task for anyone, regardless of which bow they choose to hunt with. I guess I am not the elite hunter that you are and that you expect others to be.

Whatever. Just when I think we have moved past certain issues, I am proven wrong. You shot one with a bow, attribute it to luck then preach how easy it is and that is is less challenging to kill one with a bow from a blind that outside of a blind with a gun. You lost me, Doug. You really have.

If the OP wishes to discuss tactics further with me, send me a pm as it seems my input on this question is not relevant because of the bow I use.

·
Registered
22,226 Posts
gene,I'm not puffing my chest out and I really could care less who hunts with a crossbow.However,when it comes to turkeys there's a huge difference having to draw in the presence of the bird and not having to.It's not even disputable and it takes an entirely different set of tactics to be successful,making it completly relevent to this thread.I'm not bashing crossbows or those who use them.Just pointing out that hunting turkeys isn't even close to being the same between the two weapons.The original poster asked legitimate questions but the advise someone should get if they plan on using a crossbow isn't the same as if they were using a bow.I felt that should be pointed out to him.If you take offense,so be it,that wasn't my intention and that's why I pointed it out in the beginning.

Hunting turkeys is a challenge at times and ridiculously easy,depending on the mood of the turkey.Getting them in is the main challenge and getting a bead on them without being detected,can be just as hard if not harder.Doing it with a bow is next to impossible without a blind unless the situation is perfect.

I don't care for blinds but I could care less who uses one or that they're legal.Still,you can't argue that hiding all your movement inside a blind isn't a monumental advantage.I've called many turkeys in that had me pinned to the point where I couldn't raise my gun or move it in their direction without getting busted.A blind takes that element out of the hunt.I'm not beating my chest or belittleing anyone.I'm just stating a fact.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
As I stated my advice was pertaining to hunting in a blind. The tactics are the same and those are the tactics that the majority use when archery hunting turkeys, regardless of which bow is used.

The advice would be identical unless we are talking hunting outside of a blind which was not specified. My advice was specific to a blind. It was you who jumped in to somehow diminish the advice given or to take another shot as it seems you relish in at times.

As I said whatever.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
dce said:
gene,I'm not puffing my chest out and I really could care less who hunts with a crossbow.However,when it comes to turkeys there's a huge difference having to draw in the presence of the bird and not having to.It's not even disputable and it takes an entirely different set of tactics to be successful,making it completly relevent to this thread.I'm not bashing crossbows or those who use them.Just pointing out that hunting turkeys isn't even close to being the same between the two weapons.The original poster asked legitimate questions but the advise someone should get if they plan on using a crossbow isn't the same as if they were using a bow.I felt that should be pointed out to him.If you take offense,so be it,that wasn't my intention and that's why I pointed it out in the beginning.

Hunting turkeys is a challenge at times and ridiculously easy,depending on the mood of the turkey.Getting them in is the main challenge and getting a bead on them without being detected,can be just as hard if not harder.Doing it with a bow is next to impossible without a blind unless the situation is perfect.

I don't care for blinds but I could care less who uses one or that they're legal.Still,you can't argue that hiding all your movement inside a blind isn't a monumental advantage.I've called many turkeys in that had me pinned to the point where I couldn't raise my gun or move it in their direction without getting busted.A blind takes that element out of the hunt.I'm not beating my chest or belittleing anyone.I'm just stating a fact.
+1

As far as turkeys go, crossbows and shotguns are the same in my book. You get set up, prop either one on your knee, and call the bird in. When he's in range, slip off the safety, and pull the trigger. Hunting them with a compound, long bow, or recurve is an ENTIRELY different matter. We all know how well a turkey can see. Sometimes even blinking can get you busted. To try and draw your bow and get a shot while a turkey is in range, is next to impossible. Now throw a ground blind into the mix, and that all becomes a moot point. I don't like using blinds much, which probably explains why I haven't killed a gobbler with my bow yet. Getting them in range hasn't been a big issue. But drawing without getting busted has cost me about 5 birds that easily would have been dead with a shotgun, or a crossbow. I've also shot two with my benelli that would have been dead birds with the bow, given the circumstances of the hunt. However, I didn't have a bow with me that day. I don't know why you took so much offense DPMS. All DCE was getting at was the fact that when you have to draw the bow, and aren't sitting in a blind, it's an whole other ball game. Now, if you wait to cock your crossbow until the bird is in range, while you're not in a blind, then that's basically the same in my book as using a compound. But I doubt you do that.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
As I said Borden. My advice was specific to a blind situation which is where the majority of bow killed birds are taken from.

I would also greatly disagree with your assertion that a shotgun amd crossbow are the same. Hundreds of pellets versus one projectile that requires a specific known range to connect to a very small target. Ignorance is bliss.

Whatever as well. You elite alpha hunters can carry on. I have nothing constructive to offer it seems.

·
Registered
22,226 Posts
dpms said:
As I stated my advice was pertaining to hunting in a blind. The tactics are the same and those are the tactics that the majority use when archery hunting turkeys, regardless of which bow is used.

The advice would be identical unless we are talking hunting outside of a blind which was not specified. My advice was specific to a blind. It was you who jumped in to somehow diminish the advice given or to take another shot as it seems you relish in at times.

As I said whatever.
Sure the advise would be the same be it a bow,crossbow,shotgun or whatever.The poster said he owned a blind,he never said that's the only way he planned on hunting.Maybe you think the majority of people hunt from a blind when using a bow or crossbow but I'll once again respectfully disagree.Sorry Gene,but you're jumping to conclusions.My intent was never to poke you with a jab.If anything,you're the one throwing insults.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
dpms said:
As I said Borden. My advice was specific to a blind situation which where the majority of bow killed birds are taken from.

I would also great disagree with your assertion that a shotgun amd crossbow are the same. Hundreds of pellets versus one projectile that requires a specific known range to connect.

Whatever as well. You elite alpha hunters can carry on. I have nothing constructive to offer it seems.
Holy crap dude, are you having a bad day or something? Nobody insulted you at all, you're the one making insinuations, and getting bent out of shape. If you can't see where DCE and I are coming from, I don't know what to tell you. One of my good buddies uses a crossbow, I haven't a problm in the world with them. We hunt together all the time. I kill a bird every year with my shotgun, then try and fill my second tag with a bow. Know why I use my shotgun first? Because I like to eat turkey, and it's easier to kill one with a shotgun than my compound. Same as it is with a crossbow, when blinds aren't concerned. There's nothing bad about that. It's a fact. Relax a little bud. You're picking a fight where there isn't one to pick, geeez.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
Not picking a fight at all. Just pointing out that when you compared harvesting a turkey with a shotgun the same challenge as with a crossbow trying to defend dce, you are well off base. Just as I pointed out to DCE that when discussing turkey hunting tactics with any bow from a blind, the best a advice would be identical.

Sound advice was given. Maybe I would have not offered any if the op title was "archery hunting turkeys with a compound vertical bow outside of a blind." I offered some and was told that my crossbow harvests somehow were not a archery harvest and therefore not relevant to the discussion and that it was a easy as using a shotgun. Neither of which had anything to do with the op topic.

And to answer your question. My day is going well.

·
Registered
20,916 Posts
Anyway. Done here as the op should see the type of discussion that he wanted to see and not this I am better than you stuff.

Sorry mods. Back to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
22,226 Posts
I offered some and was told that my crossbow harvests somehow were not a archery harvest and therefore not relevant to the discussion and that it was a easy as using a shotgun. Neither of which had anything to do with the op topic.

Nobody even came close to telling you that.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm right with you...having killed many with a shotgun..I've been trying for the last 2 years and hav'nt got it done..hunted 3 days last year and decided to take the shotgun the last vacation day and of course,i put a strutter down..so maybe i'll be alittle more patient this year or tell my wife to hide the barrel to my shotgun...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have been using the archery gear for the past three seasons with no success out of a blind. Every year I have had opportunities that would have been easy gun kills but with the bow I just haven't been able to get them in for a good shot. Your best bet would be to utilize the blind and set up either in a strutting zone or a field edge where you know the birds frequent and just sit tight.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TTT.....Guys I am looking for tips and tactics to hunting Gobblers in the spring, out of a blind using a bow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.