The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
18,295 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
No in fact, I think it should be a little longer....

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I never understood why it goes out for a couple weeks and then comes back in during gun season.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
I never understood why it goes out for a couple weeks and then comes back in during gun season.
Me neither. Always thought it should be like Maryland; Sept. 15th through day before firearms season. Also, bear should be legal the entire archery season.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
No. We have lost 250,000 deer hunters. Many of which were rifle hunters. If anything, as hunters leave the sport, there will be more opportunities for those still in the game.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It's not long enough! Should go from Sept. 1st to End of January!

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
mossie said:
Yes I think it's too long. A 2 week season prior to center fire season would be long enough then open it up again for the after Christmas season. It's way too long now.
Ah... surprise, surprise!

I see from the vast majority of your posts that you are a dedicated primitive black powder hunter. One would think that, as such, you would appreciate the challenges presented by archery season.

Ran across this:

mossie said:
At the age of 60 and being away from archery hunting for many years I decided to break out the Bear Grizzly 50# recurve that I had used in my younger days. My first trip to the bow range was sad indeed. I could no longer pull it back more than 10 times and the accuracy was horrible. I don't have the time to practice it like I once did either so if I decided to hunt with a bow again I am quite sure I would purchase a crossbow. It's better for me and better for the deer. A win/win in my opinion. I now see the merit of the crossbow.
Suggestion: make that purchase and come on out in archery season before we archers kill "Your" deer.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Archery should open in September and close the last day of January with NO breaks! C'mon Mossie are ya just bored and felt like a little TROLL!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason I feel it's too long is that far too many deer are being taken during the archery seasons which run for 6 weeks prior to firearms season. A bow can be used in any season. Many don't realize that's this is really hurting the sales of licenses because of the low amount of legal bucks being seen by the rifle hunters.

I have nothing against archery hunting but I do feel it's far to long and I have read they want to add another week to it next year.

Yes; I do like to use the flint guns and do so on most hunts during center fire season. Archers could do the same thing. 6 weeks is by far too much season with the antler restrictions in place. They are killing the deer herd and the license sales.

I am sure there would be a big uproar if they allowed primitive muzzleloaders into the season with the archers. I feel it would be a good move to do so for legal bucks only.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
mossie said:
The reason I feel it's too long is that far too many deer are being taken during the archery seasons which run for 6 weeks prior to firearms season. A bow can be used in any season. Many don't realize that's this is really hurting the sales of licenses because of the low amount of legal bucks being seen by the rifle hunters.
How many is too many? PGC studies are showing that archery hunters are not removing many bucks from the population prior to rifle deer season.

There are also way less folks rifle hunting so most don't see as many deer since pressure is not moving them around as much as in years past.

Deer numbers are down for everyone. Even archery hunters are hunting less deer than in years past. Seeing less deer is not somehow only happening to rifle hunters.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We all know the numbers are never going to be anywhere near what they really are with the report card honor system. It's a bad joke to even think it is. That system is broken and it should require any deer harvest to go through the check station and tagged as such. Big fine if not tagged.

If everyone wants to go on the same course of action then nothing will ever get any better. If it's great for you then good but most rifle season hunters don't feel as good as the archery hunters do and the drop in sales is showing it. The archery lobby is a big part of the politics problem.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Hurting license sales then saying archers are killing too many bucks does not make sense! I had 6 juniors in camp for the rifle opener, I don't see your reasoning. I'm really sorry my camp took 3 of your rifle bucks during archery. If license sales are dropping you should be happy us archers are picking up the slack!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
No! I'd favor eliminating all firearms during the current archery season.

1 - 20 of 398 Posts