The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad talked to a guy that got a 500+ lb bear with his bow this week. Because they had some farm equipment to haul out the bear, the guy tagged but did not gut the bear becasue he wanted to get its live weight at the scales...upon getting to the scales he had to turnaround take a deputy back to the spot of the kill so he could verify it, if he would of gutted the bear at the spot he would not of had to go back and show him the spot, just tell him where it was.

Is this becasue he did not gut it, or because all archery bear kill sites have to be verified as legal?

·
Registered
809 Posts
never heard of this, but since it is archery bear some wco's and dwco's might have some skeptisism as to weather bait ws involved

·
Registered
196 Posts
RB, that's pretty interesting. A few of us had talked about that happening. Not many bears would be killed with a bow and the WCO's assigned to the check stations may have some spare time on their hands. Hopefully that is a rare case and not the normal practice.

At least two bears ahead of me last year at the check station were not gutted during the regular bear season. To my knowledge they scaled them and left. Man there were a lot of WCOs standing around though.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
My understanding is that the PGC will confirm some bear kills. Evidence of bait, time location inconsistencies, and other factors will determine when and if they want to see the kill site.

·
Registered
957 Posts
it is normal for them to investigate the archery kills last year there were 69 kills state wide... so it is not that big a deal.. during the reg season Bluetick got it right it depends on other factors... a guy who has brought in a bear every year for a long time can usually figure on getting checked... as well as a bear brought in that is already rigid when it comes in on the morning of the first day the little things... that can make a huge diff.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
There are so few archery bears killed the WCOs will usually have the time to check the kill site. Plus with archery bear the WCO, who is law enforcement oriented, is the one doing the bear kill report.

During the firearm’s bear season there are too many bears coming in to check all of the kill sites. Also the people checking those bears are usually food and cover employees and biologists who are typically not as law enforcement focused as a WCO would be.

We always try to check some kill sites; the hunters don’t know which ones it will be, just to help keep hunters on the honest side of the laws. Also many of the people working the check stations will be looking for certain types of indicators of baiting or incorrect time of death. Some check stations will actually do time of death temperature tests on every bear.

The checks and questions are all just to help protect your resource for the future. Why would anyone stand opposed to that unless they had something to hide or fear?

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
R.S.B,very reasonable explanation.thanks,you are a wealth of knowledge and i hope you guy's get a raise,i know its been a long time comming

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the explanation RSB, it is what I was looking for. No one in my family is opposed to any of it, just some confusion on if all bow kills were checked, hearsay facts I thought if poosted would make good discussion leading to education.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts