The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scanning the older post in the hopes of finding my answer.....but to my dismay, I still am a little fuzzy. Let me give my circumstances:

1) I am still archery hunting for a buck.
2) I have a shoot from the vehicle disabled permit.
3) I have an anterless tag for the WMU which I archery hunt in.

So, for the upcoming "early" M\L season, and I speak to the 3 days where modern firearms are permitted (I'm not discussin the ethics or right\wrong of that law here) am I correct in thinking that I CAN strap on my Smith 44 magnum to my hip, as well as take my broad-head thrower?

So, should a buck stroll by, I can fling an arrow into him. Then, after proper tagging, should a doe stroll by, I can take her with the 44?

I cannnot however, take a anterled deer with the 44 magnum. (And I'm sure there are those who would, but it seems to me that would take the sprit of the contest right out of it. I mean....why even buy a bow?)

But, in any event, can I carry a 44 magnum for doe, and a bow for buck on those 3 days?

From what I am reading in the Digest, it speaks only of being able to carry a M\L weapon and a bow. So, I'm thinking to be able to carry a 44 mag hunting gun, and a bow is not legal. But it doesn't speak directly to the "old-guy" centerfire 3 day special gun deal.

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
380 Posts
Waiting to see an answer myself, Been wondering the same type of thing but for me, if I would happen to shoot one and take it to the vech, could I take the other out and hunt the rest of the day?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
As long as yuou have a right to carry permit then the PGC can not say a word to you! They will try and run their yaps but as long as you have a permit then they can not do anything. You can even carry it with you when you are spoting.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
duckman76 said:
As long as yuou have a right to carry permit then the PGC can not say a word to you! They will try and run their yaps but as long as you have a permit then they can not do anything. You can even carry it with you when you are spoting.
Who is going to "try and run their yaps"?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
They only way you can carry while archery hunting is with the carry permit. and yes even while spotting.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
DaveT said:
I have been scanning the older post in the hopes of finding my answer.....but to my dismay, I still am a little fuzzy. Let me give my circumstances:

1) I am still archery hunting for a buck.
2) I have a shoot from the vehicle disabled permit.
3) I have an anterless tag for the WMU which I archery hunt in.

So, for the upcoming "early" M\L season, and I speak to the 3 days where modern firearms are permitted (I'm not discussin the ethics or right\wrong of that law here) am I correct in thinking that I CAN strap on my Smith 44 magnum to my hip, as well as take my broad-head thrower?

So, should a buck stroll by, I can fling an arrow into him. Then, after proper tagging, should a doe stroll by, I can take her with the 44?

I cannnot however, take a anterled deer with the 44 magnum. (And I'm sure there are those who would, but it seems to me that would take the sprit of the contest right out of it. I mean....why even buy a bow?)

But, in any event, can I carry a 44 magnum for doe, and a bow for buck on those 3 days?

From what I am reading in the Digest, it speaks only of being able to carry a M\L weapon and a bow. So, I'm thinking to be able to carry a 44 mag hunting gun, and a bow is not legal. But it doesn't speak directly to the "old-guy" centerfire 3 day special gun deal.

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Yes you would be totally legal as long as you abide by the flourescent orange requirements for the firearms season. You have to be wearing 250 square inches of orange on the head, chest and back while hunting. You will then be able to shoot a doe legally, and if a buck comes by you can shoot him too.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
§ 141.43. Deer.
(a) Archery deer season

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the archery deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use or possess a firearm. Exceptions:

(A) A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

(B) A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.

(ii) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bet alot of bucks was taken today. Being the first day of squirrel and M/L season. Crack them with the rifle of choice and go back and get bow out of truck and slap the buck tag on them.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WCO R.W.J.,

I am ignoring the comments made by speedstick and duckman as those comments do nothing to answer my question.

You posted the law and subsection concerning this. I've read it and it would appear that it may be legal to do what I have ask, as long as I wear the required FO as sharkbait had stated.

Is my understanding correct?

Dave

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will say no to your question. Because you are not allowed a firearm to carry with you while you have a bow. Your pistol is for protection only and can not be used as hunting device while in possesion of a bow. It is concidered a protection weapon when bow is with you and not a hunting weapon. Your pistol is not a M/L.

A) A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
WCO said:
They only way you can carry while archery hunting is with the carry permit. and yes even while spotting.

OK, I have to ask you this...Seeing I'm a tad confused on it...

The law means ANY kind of handgun?

So, since I have my LTCF, that means I could carry my Ruger GP100 .357 in ANY season (Except Waterfowl), while hunting?

from reading on here, I've taken it that it has to be a semi...a type that would not be legal to use for hunting, but legal to use as self defense...

I've not found anything yet on PAFOA site

·
Registered
95 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
WCO said:

So, since I have my LTCF, that means I could carry my Ruger GP100 .357 in ANY season (Except Waterfowl), while hunting?

from reading on here, I've taken it that it has to be a semi...a type that would not be legal to use for hunting, but legal to use as self defense...

Lets try this again.

I will say no to your question. Because you are not allowed a firearm to carry with you while you have a bow. Your pistol is for protection only and can not be used as hunting device while in possesion of a bow. It is concidered a protection weapon when bow is with you and not a hunting weapon. Your pistol is not a M/L.

A) A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have a question since i see there is someone who can properly answer my question and i dont mean to screw up the thread. Today was first day of muzz. of course and bow season is in. Of course you can see im a non resident and have to travel to pa. I hunted some this am with the 50 cal. but had my bow in the back seat i figure no foul there. Where im going with this is would it be legal to of had my bow and muzzzl. in the stand with me at the same time. For say the option of nice buck walks by use bow, doe comes along 50 cal. I am the type of guy who carries at times a rifle and shotgun turkey hunting. BTW im not planning on it even ifits legal, just thinking about it this morning in my stand. Thank you,

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
outofsater,

Yes. You can do exactely that. You can carry a M\L and your bow. You can shoot a doe with your M\L and a buck with your bow.

My question however, deals with the "special" 3 day seinor\disabled hunting that allows these "special people" to use a centerfire in lieu of a M\L.

Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
DaveT: I think I understand your question and your confusion. Unfortunately I do not have an answer.

You are asking if a Junior or Senior License holder who is hunting during the Statewide Anterless Deer Regular Firearms Season on October 22, October 23 and October 24 is hunting with their rifle are they then allowed to carry their bow.

An example: A Junior License holder wishes to participate in the "Three Day" October 22-24 Statewide Antlerless Deer season where a rifle can be used by a Junior or Senior License holder; can that Junior License holder then carry his bow with him just in case the opportunity to harvest a buck is presented to him.
Or the same situation with a Senior License holder.

Regardless who is hunting during this Junior and Senior License holder Regular Firearms season Fluorescent Orange must be worn while in motion. An Archery hunter may remove their Fluorescent Orange once at his spot but should have the Fluorescent Orange posted at his location. Any hunter using either a Muzzleloader or Rifle if they have the proper license would be required to wear Fluorescent Orange at all times. If an individual wanted to use both their Bow and Muzzleloader or Bow and Rifle (if this is legal) they would also be required to wear their Fluorescent Orange at all times.

---I want to add that the Statewide Antlerless Deer Regular Firearm Season is for Junior, Senior, Disabled (with permit to use a vehicle as a blind) and US Armed Services License holders.---

---Also I think the question that DaveT is asking is regarding an individual who has Pistol and a License to Carry Firearms Permit. With this situation if I am thinking correctly a Junior License holder would not be eligible to have a License to Carry Firearms permit but a Senior, Disabled or US Armed Service License holder may have such a permit. If one of these individuals has such a permit I believe the question is are they permitted to go hunting with their Bow and have their Pistol in their possession but they would Archery hunting. If a doe was to come out and present this hunter with an opportunity to shoot it would that hunter be permitted to do so with their Pistol. The hunter would initially be Archey hunting but then when presented with the opportunity to harvest a doe choose to participate in the Regular Firearms Season. This hunter would not be wearing Fluorescent Orange while Archery hunting but once this hunter would choose to use his Pistol to hunt he would need to be wearing Fluorescent Orange.---

---I apologize if this sounds like a rare and unpractical situation but it has me thinking.---

In conclusion, the overall question which I stated a few times above is:
Is a Junior or Senior License holder who is hunting during the "Three Day" Statewide Antlerless Deer Regular Firearms Season taking place on October 22 - October 24 permitted to carry both a Rifle and a Bow so that they have the opportunity to harvest either a buck or doe in the same way that a hunter can carry both their Muzzleloader and Bow?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
DaveT said:
WCO R.W.J.,

I am ignoring the comments made by speedstick and duckman as those comments do nothing to answer my question.

You posted the law and subsection concerning this. I've read it and it would appear that it may be legal to do what I have ask, as long as I wear the required FO as sharkbait had stated.

Is my understanding correct?

Dave
They only way you can legaly carry your .44 while archery hunting is with a CCW permit. It cannot be used to take or finish a deer while you are archery hunting.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
outofstater said:
I have a question since i see there is someone who can properly answer my question and i dont mean to screw up the thread. Today was first day of muzz. of course and bow season is in. Of course you can see im a non resident and have to travel to pa. I hunted some this am with the 50 cal. but had my bow in the back seat i figure no foul there. Where im going with this is would it be legal to of had my bow and muzzzl. in the stand with me at the same time. For say the option of nice buck walks by use bow, doe comes along 50 cal. I am the type of guy who carries at times a rifle and shotgun turkey hunting. BTW im not planning on it even ifits legal, just thinking about it this morning in my stand. Thank you,
A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
WCO said:

Yes you can carry the Ruger GP100 .357. Under your LTCF

·
Registered
95 Posts
WCO said:
Woodywoodduck said:
WCO said:

Yes you can carry the Ruger GP100 .357. Under your LTCF
He wants to kill a buck with his bow and a doe with his 44 outside his vehicle at same time with both weapons on him outside the vehicle.

After he tags his buck and while his bow is still on him,And before he moves the buck from where it is tagged at on the ground. He sees a doe and wants to shoot it with his pistol.Is he allowed to. Or does he have to put the bow back in the car first before he harvests the doe with his pistol? Just because he is handi capped shouldnt mean they dont have to follow the laws that don't permit 2 weapons at once on hand to hunt with outside a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts