The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The East side of the state namely the Catholic League is winning now a days because they can legally recruit! The Western / public power houses legally can not recruit. This is coming from a father whose sons play in the Catholic League for football/baseball. It all goes back to the 1970s when Speedy Morris had those Roman Catholic powerhouses in baskestball, they could beat alot of college teams. I know St Joes Prep has studs from New Jersy on that team, just the way it is . By the way Congrats Wood. Lastly, I hope St Joes Prep gets SMACKED!

·
6,450 Posts
gilby said:
So A and AAA both catholic schools so far. Who does South Fayette play?
south Fayette won today 41-0 over imohtep charter

·
Registered
40,145 Posts
Former Phila. Eagle and current Congressman from New Jersey, John Runyon, has a son that plays for St. Joe's Prep.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Recruit ball players? In order to recruit you have to give a student some thing? Whether that be a scholarship, step up in academics, some thing. What are these recruits gaining from going with a catholic school over a public school? I never could figure that out. From what I see, public schools today have state of the art facilities, great teachers and coaches. Catholic schools don't have the nuns and priests in major study areas, old out of date equipment, high tuition, sub par teachers for the most part because of poor pay. I just don't get it. Gary U

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Gary, these schools are recuiting. Free everything for your sports service. St Joes Prep is like 18 to 20 grand a year to go there now. You guys from Western Pa have NO idea whats going on on the east side!

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Alma Mater beat 2 of the teams that won state titles this year, Wood and in a minute St. Joes Prep. They got hosed out of a playoff spot!!! Archbishop Ryan should of been there over Prep!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
How large of schools are they? Our catholic schools are small, graduate maybe 60 students. Max tuition is $5500. Even the largest catholic schools in Ohio $6500. Still what is the attraction. Just because they have high tuition doesn't make them superior to public schools. I hear the same about our catholic schools here in western pa. Most of them are luck to tie a game! Gary U

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just checked out Woods web page, tuition $6100 for church members $7400 non church members. That's about right for Bucks county. Sure doesn't look like a huge school. Still want to know what they offer that public schools don't have? Discipline? High quality education? Status? Why would you go to school for tuition reprieve when you can go to public school for free?

Gar U

·
Registered
40,145 Posts
Many Catholic parents want their children to attend Catholic school for the Catholic school education. If they can get free tuition even better. Simple as that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think a catholic education is a very good reason, so really not recruiting, these folks must be catholic and chose catholic schools. Ok, that makes sense. Gary U

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
These schools are RECRUITING plain and simple. They have open solicitation, you, back in the day had to live in the same area as your school. Not anymore. The Prep and LaSalle are private so thats why the tuition is much higher. They play in the Catholic league, but have no real tie to the Archdiocese of Phila. Jersy kids play for prep. The starting QB for O'hara lives 10 min from me, and the coach picks him up and gets him to school. He has to pass 2 other schools in the Catholic league to get to O'hara. Wood now is on the band wagon also, kid up the street from me plays Lacrosse there, I live in Montco, Wood is in Bucks, get the picture. Like I said before, I have 2 boys playing in the Catholic league I know whats going on. The public schools out west, have to take the kids within the boundaries of the district correct? The Catholic league can get a kid from anywhere they please! And yes, these kids are getting their tuition taken care of also.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
This by no means is meant to be an argument,I love Catholic League sports, I do feel though they have a definite advantage over the rest of the state.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its usually St. Joes Prep prep and Lasalle tthat get the good kids in Philly. My cousins son is the starting QB for wood and he is only a soph. He was also their starting qb as a freshman. No kid wants to go to Ryan for football but they still beat 2 teams that won states not bad

1 - 20 of 33 Posts