The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Studied about it some in school and watched or read about it quite a bit since, but being at one of the sites puts realism to it.
Anyone that comes over here should try to visit one of these camps. Quite moving. Extremely hard to imagine how any human can do this to others.

Dachau concentration camp

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
When it first opened my son and I visited the Holocaust Museum in DC and while I am sure that it does not come close to visiting one of the real things it had a tremendous impact. I remember: being on one of the train cars that was used to transport Jews to death camps; The headphones that Goreing used at his trial; Schindler's notebook of names; and actual canisters of Zyklon gas that were taken from the camps. There were many, many other displays that made my blood run cold and then boil. The human race is capable of great compassion and tremendous cruelty. We are, as the books title states, <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Killer Angles</span>.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I've been there several times. Have a friend that was a Major in the Air Force stationed at Ramstein and now works there as a civilian. I always have a place to stay in a small village. It's hard to believe people at the time could think this was okay and the towns people who lived right on the other side of the fence never said a thing. What struck me was the path from the barracks to the "building" how park like it was with the benches for the shooters to sit while waiting for the next group. The hooks in the beams were haunting.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Dachau was the worst. My grandfather was there for the liberation of the Buchenwald camp. Some of the stories he told me are unreal. I can only imagine Dachau on a much larger scale.
A stark reminder of what people are capable of...yet there are those in the world today who deny it ever happened. And president Bobo makes deals with those people.

·
Registered
20,957 Posts
I'd really like to see a camp or even the museum in DC. I'm going to D.C. next week, but it's with my sons scout troop, so I don't think the Holocaust museum is appropriate. Someday, tho, I'm going.

The depths of cruelty that humans are capable of is staggering.

·
Super Moderator
28,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kudu58 said:
Dachau was the worst.
Not sure how that would be quantified. The whole concept was so horrific, none of them could be considered to be worse than another.

Dachau was the first, and the model for the rest of the camps. Also is where all of the SS guards were trained.
I watched a documentary on Netflix called Auschwitz a month or so back. It is mostly about Auschwitz, but goes into the background on how the whole idea and thinking behind The Final Solution. I would recommend that for anyone who's interested to see. It was on the German content Netflix, but is a BBC product that should also be on the US Netflix.

As to the people of the Dachau village, the claim is that they didn't know what was happening and didn't get skeptical until near the end when the SS ran out of coal and the smell from the piles of corpses was over powering. The US made sure they learned the truth by forcing villagers to see it, piles of bodies and all. They then made them bury the remaining dead. My wife asked why we did that. I suppose it was for proof to the locals, and to the world, what was going on.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
There was also a movie on Netflix about the experiment conducted at Yale... I believe.

Two people, one asking a question and the other giving an answer. Both in separate rooms. It was a set up as the person giving the answer was only acting as if he was getting a shock for the wrong answer. With each wrong answer, the other person had to increase the voltage before throwing a switch.

It got to the point where it bothered the person asking the question. The "authority" overseeing the experiment kept reminding them of the importance of staying on task. The experiment took priority....don't quit now. The majority would keep the experiment going even if it was terribly uncomfortable for them.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
I can't say on this site what I think about the scum that did that to other human beings. The ones who ran the camps were such cowards that they ran when they knew the allies were approaching. Killing as many as they could before they left.

I hope when they met their maker they had to suffer the same fate for all eternity.

·
Super Moderator
28,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kudu58 said:
BCozhunter said:
None of them could be considered to be at any level of good.

uote]

I must have missed where anyone said they were.
I know, I wasn't suggesting that was said. Just that the whole concept was so horrific, not sure that one camp was worse than another.
Sorry if I came across the wrong way with that. I rewrote that sentence.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
I think a lot of people were afraid not to follow him.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I visited Auschwitz in 1966. I can still see the images in my mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts