The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Are you talking about removing the castle nut?

I have a little Gerber Dime multi tool that I carry in the pistol grip. It has needle nose and a good scraper for carbon removal.

·
Registered
723 Posts
That would be the castle nut. The DPMS multi tool worked well, but I never see them for sale anymore.

Wheeler Engineering makes one that also includes a torque wrench to ensure you are properly using the correct torque.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Cheaper doesn't always equate to quality. Don't waste your time or money if you are getting an NC Star or Tapco.

DPMS I had was solid. I currently own the Wheeler and I don't feel that it's as good as the DPMS tool I sold to my friend. The Magpul tool would be good too, but it's not inexpensive.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered the DPMS tool. Actually the Tapco was $.49 more expensive.
Now, is there any place to get instructions on taking my forearm(handguard) off? I have a DPMS Oricle, and in front of the handguard there's a short "block" with 4 picatinny slots on the top. I can't figure out how to get that off to facilitate removing the handguard.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
gentleben said:
I ordered the DPMS tool. Actually the Tapco was $.49 more expensive.
Now, is there any place to get instructions on taking my forearm(handguard) off? I have a DPMS Oricle, and in front of the handguard there's a short "block" with 4 picatinny slots on the top. I can't figure out how to get that off to facilitate removing the handguard.
You shouldn't have to remove the gas block to remove the hand guards. There is a ring on the back of the handguards. Pull that down as hard as you can and you should be able to life the handguards off.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the forearm off. Easy, once you know how to do it. I want to put a laser on the gun, but there is no underside picatinny rail. I assume I'll have to replace the forearm. Any recomendations as to what to buy? Or is there a laser that can mount other than on an under picatinny?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
What kind of guard do you have? You can add rails to most of them. As of right now I have all my ARs set up with magpul guards
Because they fitme and the kids well. Next couple builds will be different.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My factory guard has a row of holes in the underside, but no picatinny. I had talked to DPMS and mentioned wanting to put a laser on it, and he said I'd have to change the guard. I'll try to find the time later today to take a pic of the guard. Any advice on what laser to get?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
GB,

From the sound of it, you have a Milspec handguard. Some thicker, some thinner, with heat shields inside. Milspec Handguard

Magpul makes a handguard called a MOE M-LOK, in carbine, mid-length and rifle length. You can buy 7 or 11 slot picatinny rails that will attach with screws, to the sides or bottom, before install of the guard.

And they attach just like the milspec, using the spring loaded Delta ring. Just put one on my AR Carbine last weekend.

Magpul MOE M-LOK Carbine Handguard

Check how far the gas block is from receiver to determine which you need.
Carbine- @ 7"
Middy- @ 9"
Rifle- @12"

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rusty, that is definitely the guard I have! Does anyone make a rail to add under it for a laser/light/etc, or will I have to buy a new guard with a rail built in?

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where can i get those Magpul rails? Got a kick out of the video. He keeps referring to his pliers as Channel locks. That might be the brand, but they are vise grip style. Also, near the end of the video, it shows some kind of gizmo mounted on the rail on top of the gas block. It's just a "plate" with a turned up end. What is that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.