The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thank you ahead of time for your help.

As the subject above says, I am looking to buy an AR15 style rifle and even after pouring over many sites on the internet and viewing different guns on company websites...........over many, many months....I actually am NO CLOSER now to picking one out then I was when I started! There is TOO MUCH information and SO many choices of guns that to me, look all pretty much the same. I am an avid hunter, shooter, reloader of over 35 years and have never owned one of these. I do not pretend to know much ablout them and even working in a gun shop for a few years, I was the go to "gun guy" but I know Sporting Guns........not tactical stuff
Heres what i want. Heavy ACCURATE barrel, non-collapsable stock, flat top with a rail , MUST take a scope of a 3x9 power size, I dont want any "tactical" stuff on it like brakes, flashlights, metal sights,etc. I want a gun with probably a 16" barrel. I like one made by Rock River Arms called the Fred Eicher varment series. I may still order one but the wait list is around 6 months! Maybe Ill wait?
I dont know anything about uppers and lowers. but want a COMPLETE rifle. Ive been looking for used but almost every one of them is more of a tactical gun, not a sporting rifle.
Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Joe

·
Registered
502 Posts
I like the Remington model R-15 or the R-25
AR platform but not a "tactical"

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The rifle you described sounds just like an olympic arms K16 http://olyarms.net/index.php?page=shop.p...rt&Itemid=5

There are so many AR's out there and so many accessories to build one that your options are endless. I have a bushmaster with a heavy 20" wilson barreled upper, flattop reciever and A2 stock that I've been playing with the last couple years. Its a shooter. As far as out of the box accuracy the olympic arms rifles are hard to beat, If I were going to buy a complete rifle I would look at olympic.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The Rock River Eichler is a very good choice. The remington r-15 or 25 is also a good choice. Ambush firearms makes one as well as smith and wesson has the 300 wisper. Go to www.ar15hunter.com that site will give you a little more info. As far as all the bells and whistles you can customize just about any ar platform to fit your specs. Except for the colt that is their parts are not interchangable with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Olympic arms looks like what Im after! I would maybe put a different "cooler" looking stock on it but thats really all I want

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres a loaded question............WHERE is the BEST site to buy AR15 stuff, like stocks, mounts,etc?? I do like Midway but dont know if they sell that stuff

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeah you can put a different stock on it. If you look on midway's site they have videos of how to change the stock on an AR. You could check the videos out to see whats involved.

·
Registered
11,262 Posts
You could put together complete lower like a CMMG and buy a RRA upper. You would save a few bucks and the uppers were shipping faster than complete rifles.

BTW some of the match uppers have very heavy barrels. The Predator has a heavy barrel but is lighter in weight than the Varmint and the Match.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Spirit Bear said:
Heres a loaded question............WHERE is the BEST site to buy AR15 stuff, like stocks, mounts,etc?? I do like Midway but dont know if they sell that stuff
I order a lot of stuff from Primary Arms. They offer free shipping on a lot of items

http://www.primaryarms.com/Default.asp

I would also recommend Palmetto State Armory for complete guns or parts. I ordered an upper from them last week. I just got back from a hog hunt in South Carolina and stopped at one of their stores. They offer a very well built AR at a really reasonable price. A buddy was so impressed with one of their rifles, he bought one while we were down there.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts